• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indy boots, with the square Trublanace last, generally look too casual with most workplaces (though many can pull it off)

Yesterday I wore barrie color 8 plain toe boots with chinos and a blazer, I think that is appropriate business casual for work

Many folks here have worn boots with suits - any grant lasted captoe boot should work with this (especially the 4060 and 4065), and many of the barrie and hampton lasted boots should work too.

One issue is that retailers have moved dramatically towards color 8 + antique soles (it seems like retailers almost never do a special makeup with the normal dark soles now) and also to brass and nickel eyelets, all of which move these boots in a more casual direction. Alden NY on Madison seems to have the largest collection of dressier boots (meaning color 8 or black with matched eyelets and a dark sole), along with Alden DC/SF.

vnguyen_md

Reaction score
Just to give you an idea, Hampton last is the same sleek last used on Alden's core line up of cap toe oxfords.

So these color 8 boots are lovely. Not chunky. Can dress up or down I think.

I love these so much I own them in color 8 and in calf leather oak soles (same last, Hampton)

Perhaps,

View attachment 1482731

Attachments

• 2CA21584-2F50-4ED9-89F0-1A2C1A1C8F1E.jpg
    2CA21584-2F50-4ED9-89F0-1A2C1A1C8F1E.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 126D2888-76C8-4F5F-8596-3FB08DDF1D15.jpg
    126D2888-76C8-4F5F-8596-3FB08DDF1D15.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get sizing advice from several of you guys from here.

I currently wear a 9.5 D comfortably in the barrie last (unlined suede dovers) and I'm wondering if a size 9 E in a barrie lasted boot would fit similar to the 9.5D unlined suede dovers? I've never tried on the barrie last in boots. I seen a pair of 9E barrie lasted boots in the BST thread I'm interested in, so I'm wondering if the size would work for me.
A 9.5D and 9E will have approximately the same interior volume, but it will be distributed in different ways; the 9E will be both shorter and I believe somewhat wider than the 9.5D (other more expert members may have differing views). Whether that would work for you is hard to say, but I personally find no significant difference in fit between lined vs unlined shoes, or more specifically between an unlined Dover and lined boots, on Barrie (or the other Alden lasts I have, for that matter).

James KP

Reaction score
Indy boots, with the square Trublanace last, generally look too casual with most workplaces (though many can pull it off)

Yesterday I wore barrie color 8 plain toe boots with chinos and a blazer, I think that is appropriate business casual for work

Many folks here have worn boots with suits - any grant lasted captoe boot should work with this (especially the 4060 and 4065), and many of the barrie and hampton lasted boots should work too.

One issue is that retailers have moved dramatically towards color 8 + antique soles (it seems like retailers almost never do a special makeup with the normal dark soles now) and also to brass and nickel eyelets, all of which move these boots in a more casual direction. Alden NY on Madison seems to have the largest collection of dressier boots (meaning color 8 or black with matched eyelets and a dark sole), along with Alden DC/SF.
Would something like this be a good choice?
I am unable to locate a non-antique sole option with commando’s

Thanks again!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Friday forum pals. It's my cake day and black shell LWBs are great for the occasion.

IMG_9553.jpg

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would something like this be a good choice?
I am unable to locate a non-antique sole option with commando’s

Thanks again!

That would definitely work with business casual. I have that boot in black and would wear it with a suit on a snowy/slushy day if I had to. With the antique edge it could be slightly more difficult with a suit but some would do it.

Alden Madison's color 8 wingtip boots have a dark edge and commando sole, those are classic. Also I believe Alden DC does its color 8 grant cap toe boot with a dark edge and command sole...

EDIT - yes they do:

probablycantaffordit

Reaction score
Another longtime lurker with a prodigal son story. Started my menswear journey during the #menswear heyday 10+ years ago in my 20s. First Aldens were longwing bluchers from jcrew during one of the rare sales when discount codes applied. Also purchased Wolverine thousand milers during the workwear heritage moment. Then moved to Carmina cuz of the price point, Sid Mashburn (Alfred Sargent) cuz he’s a local (and fantastic) guy, and Vass. Also felt the Alden toe shape and lasts weren’t sleek enough for my personal tastes. That didn’t stop me from picking up snuff suede chukkas approx 6 year ago that I still love, but otherwise didn’t give Alden much thought.

Due to COVID, my wardrobe/office is incredibly casual now, which led me to rediscover my love for the American workbook, leading me back to Alden. Long story short, I’ve got a pair of 403 indys, suede plain toe boots on commando sole, and some color 8 tankers on order from Alden Madison. Obligatory pic attached for bearing with me.
9CA0F5FE-DF18-4F17-9D2C-27CAB3B4D8DD.jpeg

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indy boots for business casual?

I'm pretty bias towards cxl, it's not my taste but the indy boot in natty cxl is nice. Although, I always drool over suede and reverse chamois in the indy build. I currently have the indy boot in snuff suede and really love it. If I were to get a second pair of indys, it would be reverse chamois no doubt. Tobacco or earth, doesn't matter....price would influence my decision on color. Indy in shell always looked off to me.

That's really interesting -- my snuff suede commando Indys and my reverse tobacco chamois commando Indys are my two favorite Indys. (Also have 403's and natural CXL, both on Neocork.) If I could only choose one I'd choose the tobacco chamois, because it's the most versatile. But the snuff suede is the best looking IMO. I've worn them both with slacks and a sportcoat and they look great. The CXL Indys are too casual, you could probably wear the 403's with khakis but not with wool slacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics