• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good morning / afternoon group,
I will soon be purchasing the Alden Indy boot and am unable to decide which material to go with.
Cowhide leather vs Chromexcel vs Shell Cordovan
These boots will be worn with active business casual but will also see long walks in all seasons and occasional hiking.
May I ask what the general consensus is?

I originally posted this inquiry: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/alden-indy-material-inquiry.673087/

Thank you all in advance!
Indy boots for business casual?

I'm pretty bias towards cxl, it's not my taste but the indy boot in natty cxl is nice. Although, I always drool over suede and reverse chamois in the indy build. I currently have the indy boot in snuff suede and really love it. If I were to get a second pair of indys, it would be reverse chamois no doubt. Tobacco or earth, doesn't matter....price would influence my decision on color. Indy in shell always looked off to me.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indy boots for business casual?

I'm pretty bias towards cxl, it's not my taste but the indy boot in natty cxl is nice. Although, I always drool over suede and reverse chamois in the indy build. I currently have the indy boot in snuff suede and really love it. If I were to get a second pair of indys, it would be reverse chamois no doubt. Tobacco or earth, doesn't matter....price would influence my decision on color. Indy in shell always looked off to me.
Indy boots are not really a business boot, even casual. They ARE a casual boot. The Natty CXL may no longer be available, so grab 'em if you can. Reverse chamois is an awesome leather and lends itself to the Indy boot.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good morning / afternoon group,
I will soon be purchasing the Alden Indy boot and am unable to decide which material to go with.
Cowhide leather vs Chromexcel vs Shell Cordovan
These boots will be worn with active business casual but will also see long walks in all seasons and occasional hiking.
May I ask what the general consensus is?

I originally posted this inquiry: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/alden-indy-material-inquiry.673087/

Thank you all in advance!
My vote would be for CXL, given your usage specs.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indy boots are not really a business boot, even casual. They ARE a casual boot. The Natty CXL may no longer be available, so grab 'em if you can. Reverse chamois is an awesome leather and lends itself to the Indy boot.

I agree, the Indy boot isn't suitable for business casual boot.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get sizing advice from several of you guys from here.

I currently wear a 9.5 D comfortably in the barrie last (unlined suede dovers) and I'm wondering if a size 9 E in a barrie lasted boot would fit similar to the 9.5D unlined suede dovers? I've never tried on the barrie last in boots. I seen a pair of 9E barrie lasted boots in the BST thread I'm interested in, so I'm wondering if the size would work for me.

pedromvu

Reaction score
I wouldn't know what exactly is acceptable as business casual since I never had a non casual job, but if you mean something that can be more passable as slightly dressier boot, I think there are some darker U-tip boots that could do the job specially without contrast stitching, they are mainly in lasts different than Trubalance so not a real Indy boot.

You can do some research here: https://aldenmodelproject.com/boot/?Style=Indy

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't know what exactly is acceptable as business casual since I never had a non casual job, but if you mean something that can be more passable as slightly dressier boot, I think there are some darker U-tip boots that could do the job specially without contrast stitching, they are mainly in lasts different than Trubalance so not a real Indy boot.

You can do some research here: https://aldenmodelproject.com/boot/?Style=Indy
If one wants to wear a boot in a business situation, there are better options than an Indy boot. And I must add, I'm a Huge fan of the Indy boot. I worked in a very formal business climate pre-retirement, and wore boots, but not Indy.....

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tassel Friday
E5203912-477D-43FD-B5E3-569D29F76772.jpeg

James KP

Reaction score
If one wants to wear a boot in a business situation, there are better options than an Indy boot. And I must add, I'm a Huge fan of the Indy boot. I worked in a very formal business climate pre-retirement, and wore boots, but not Indy.....
May I ask what options you would recommend?

Bruce410

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads