• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

I am new to SF (long time lurker but newly registered) and this thread. I currently own the following and am looking to expand into more casual footwear:
- Alden 971 x Brooks Brothers straight tip bluchers - black calf
- Alden 972 x Brooks Brothers straight tip bluchers - walnut calf
- Alden 9695F x Brooks Brothers penny loafers (not LHS but not flex like current model) - black calf
- Alden 9697F x Brooks Brothers penny loafers (not LHS but not flex like current model) - brown suede
- AE Wilbert NST Brown calf
- AE Wilbert NST Dark Brown CXL
- Carmina 531 Derby/PTB - brown suede
- And Meermin Snuff SuperBuck NST blucher on the way....

I have gone through the first 150 pages in this thread. I did not read every post but rather skimmed ones that seemed interesting and viewed almost all of the shoe and boot pictures. I covered from January through mid-March. I plan to continue on this path until I catch up to the current era. For now, I have a few questions which I hope others would be willing to help answer:

I was surprised that it seemed boots were almost 50% of what was posted. Is that because most people wear boots as often as shoes or was it just the time period (late winter)?

What is a "King Wing"?

Does anyone have any idea what lasts my AldenxBB use (the shoes are circa 2011)? I have read they could be Aberdeen, Copley, Van, or even Snap but no fit information on the last one.

I really like lined PTBs so I am considering both a PTB Natural Chromexcel 9501 because I understand they may be gone forever very soon. Is there any truth to that or is it just a bad rumor?

I also like lined Chukkas and am considering a Chukka Boot Snuff Suede D4707 and/or Chukka Boot Brown Chromexcel 13781C from Alden Madison.

I will probably not get all 3 at once (my wife would have a nervous breakdown as she is supposed to be the one with the shoe collection in our relationship) so which 2 would round out what I already own that are shown above? My work/personal life is moving more towards casual wear (even pre-pandemic) and less business casual (and suits).

How do you all keep our shoes so clean and in such good shape? I have lived in urban areas and either walked and/or taken public transportation to work most of my life and my shoes simply get beat up no matter how careful I am so what is the secret to all these pictures of shoes in pristine condition (not judgmental, really looking for the magic answer)?

I'll do me first.

My first pair of real shoes are Alden stock model punch cap toe oxfords (mistakenly called Balmorals). I got them around 12-14 years ago. After that I filled out my dress shoe collection with English makers. Crockett and Jones and Alfred Sargent. I liked their sleeker lasts for dress shoes. I also really like Adelaides with a chisel toe, and have one each in light brown (chestnut C&J) quarter brogue, oxblood (A&S) quarter brogue, and middle/dark brown (A&S) short wing austerity brogue.

But, when I gravitated toward casual shoes to wear with jeans and chinos, I like Alden better and I generally prefer rugged boots. I have added 3 Alden boots to my collection (tan suede Indy, color 8 Indy, color 8 semi-brogue on Grant), plus one on order (another Indy) and one I have on my next list (an Indy chukka), plus a pair of Alden green suede slip ons (loafers). I did get one pair of rare shell Alden shoes, but I find them neither fish nor fowl. They are oxfords, but with a rounder toe and double leather soles. I treat them as more causal. I'll wear them with a cotton suit, but not wool.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Time to start cooking supper, which involves some olive oil and other liquid stuff, so what better footwear that a pair of 405's, the boot that, like an old Timex commercial, can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'
IMG_5086.jpeg

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you requested...

I think you mixed up the model numbers for 00065 (black calfskin) and 00067 (brown suede). Corrected below.

Black calfskin blucher
00052 9H15 027 11 -- Snap last -- see Alden Model Project page. Made in August of a year ending in 9 (2019, 2009, 1999, etc.).

Walnut calfskin blucher
00063 0E16 002 8 -- Snap last -- see Alden Model Project page. Made in May of a year ending in 0 (2020, 2010, 2000, etc.).

Black calfskin loafer
00065 0F05 029 11 -- Copley last -- see Alden Model Project page. Made in June of a year ending in 0 (2020, 2010, 2000, etc.).

Brown suede loafer
00067 8A07 010 3 -- Copley last -- see Alden Model Project page. Made in January of a year ending in 8 (2018, 2008, 1998, etc.).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you mixed up the model numbers for 00065 (black calfskin) and 00067 (brown suede). Corrected below.

Black calfskin blucher
00052 9H15 027 11 -- Snap last -- see Alden Model Project page. Made in August of a year ending in 9 (2019, 2009, 1999, etc.).

Walnut calfskin blucher
00063 0E16 002 8 -- Snap last -- see Alden Model Project page. Made in May of a year ending in 0 (2020, 2010, 2000, etc.).

Black calfskin loafer
00065 0F05 029 11 -- Copley last -- see Alden Model Project page. Made in June of a year ending in 0 (2020, 2010, 2000, etc.).

Brown suede loafer
00067 8A07 010 3 -- Copley last -- see Alden Model Project page. Made in January of a year ending in 8 (2018, 2008, 1998, etc.).
Dude- you KNOW your stuff, my hat is off to you!

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Black calfskin blucher

Walnut calfskin blucher

Black calfskin loafer

Brown suede loafer

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately most of what I found/read about the Snap last is conflicting information and it would be helpful if someone knows how it compares to any of the standard/stock Alden lasts.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately most of what I found/read about the Snap last is conflicting information and it would be helpful if someone knows how it compares to any of the standard/stock Alden lasts.

Your username suggests you live in NYC. If that's true, I'd pay a visit to the Alden shop on Madison Ave. They are excellent, and have a ton of different models for you to try on. There really isn't any need to understand how Snap fits compared to other lasts if you know it fits you well in the size you have, and can try on other styles and lasts in person. Then, you can provide some guidance on how Snap compares to, say, Hampton, Aberdeen, or Barrie. Copley is generally taken true-to-size, so there's that.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Your username suggests you live in NYC. If that's true, I'd pay a visit to the Alden shop on Madison Ave. They are excellent, and have a ton of different models for you to try on. There really isn't any need to understand how Snap fits compared to other lasts if you know it fits you well in the size you have, and can try on other styles and lasts in person. Then, you can provide some guidance on how Snap compares to, say, Hampton, Aberdeen, or Barrie. Copley is generally taken true-to-size, so there's that.

I grew up and have lived most of my life not far from the store (walking distance) and was there about 2 weeks ago with my wife so she could tell me what she likes (and does not like) but we did not have time for me to try stuff on. They did not know about the BB lasts so I thought I would try here. Back to the shop soon.

Thanks again.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On page 1 of this thread is a great visual of various lasts, however snap is not there. Where in the spectrum might the Snap Last be?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I grew up and have lived most of my life not far from the store (walking distance) and was there about 2 weeks ago with my wife so she could tell me what she likes (and does not like) but we did not have time for me to try stuff on. They did not know about the BB lasts so I thought I would try here. Back to the shop soon.

Thanks again.
I envy you, the closest true Alden dealer is either a 10 hour car drive or two plane changes from me.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I envy you, the closest true Alden dealer is either a 10 hour car drive or two plane changes from me.

For many years, my family's closest Alden dealer was Brooks Brothers on 44th and Madison just down the street from the actual Alden Madison store (at some point there may have been another Alden store downtown near Wall Street). I'm not sure my father ever owned anything other than Alden x Brooks Brothers tassel loafers.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live 20 minutes from the FACTORY...I called and asked for a tour once (they thought I was crazy).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For many years, my family's closest Alden dealer was Brooks Brothers on 44th and Madison just down the street from the actual Alden Madison store (at some point there may have been another Alden store downtown near Wall Street). I'm not sure my father ever owned anything other than Alden x Brooks Brothers tassel loafers.
There are no, zero, none Alden dealers near me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads