• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

I am new to SF (long time lurker but newly registered) and this thread. I currently own the following and am looking to expand my casual footwear:
- Alden 971 x Brooks Brothers straight tip bluchers - black calf
- Alden 972 x Brooks Brothers straight tip bluchers - walnut calf
- Alden 9695F x Brooks Brothers penny loafers (not LHS but not flex like current model) - black calf
- Alden 9697F x Brooks Brothers penny loafers (not LHS but not flex like current model) - brown suede
- AE Wilbert NST Brown calf
- AE Wilbert NST Dark Brown CXL
- Carmina 531 Derby/PTB - brown suede
- And Meermin Snuff SuperBuck NST blucher on the way....

I have gone through the first 150 pages in this thread. I did not read every post but rather skimmed ones that seemed interesting and viewed almost all of the shoe and boot pictures. I covered from January through mid-March. I plan to continue on this path until I catch up to the current era. For now, I have a few questions which I hope others would be willing to help answer:

I was surprised that it seemed boots were almost 50% of what was posted. Is that because most people wear boots as often as shoes or was it just the time period (late winter)?

What is a "King Wing"?

Does anyone have any idea what lasts my AldenxBB use (the shoes are circa 2011)? I have read they could be Aberdeen, Copley, Van, or even Snap but no fit information on the last one.

I really like lined PTBs so I am considering both a natural CXL PTB because I understand they may be gone forever very soon. Is there any truth to that or is it just a bad rumor?

I also like lined Chukkas and am considering a Chukka Boot Snuff Suede D4707 and/or Chukka Boot Brown Chromexcel 13781C from Alden Madison.

I will probably not get all 3 at once (my wife would have a nervous breakdown as she is supposed to be the one with the shoe collection in our relationship) so which 2 would round out what I already own that are shown above? My work/personal life is moving more towards casual wear (even pre-pandemic) and less business casual (and suits).

How do you all keep our shoes so clean and in such good shape? I have lived in urban areas and either walked and/or taken public transportation to work most of my life and my shoes simply get beat up no matter how careful I am so what is the secret to all these pictures of shoes in pristine condition (not judgmental, really looking for the magic answer)?
Welcome to the Alden thread - I'll answer what I can.

Speaking for myself, I wear boots about as often as shoes year-round. And I know there are other regulars here that do the same (@audog for instance).

A King Wing is a Color 8 Shell Wingtip (because Color 8 is the "King" of shell cordovan colors).

Natty CXL is no longer being made by Alden, according to several reports from reliable sources; grab a pair or two now if they're available in your size.

As far as complements to your current lineup, I'd pick the Chukkas, but since you'll probably want a natty CXL Blucher, I'd suggest that and the suede Chukka.

@Texasmade has a good answer on keeping the shoes in good shape; I've got about 30 pair (which is quite a small collection by many of this thread's regaulrs' standards), so I only wear a given pair about once a month. That may not be the answer for you, though; living in the city and taking public transport is going to be a big factor. Other guys in that situation wear a pair of beaters until they get to the office and then change into their good shoes there. Another alternative is a pair of galoshes.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In that case then have one or two pairs as your dirty pair for go anywhere do anything and keep all of your other shoes as your clean shoes to wear for special occasions.

Also, suede doesn't need as much upkeep as calf or shell. I only own 2 pairs of Aldens and both are suede.
Overshoes, while not the most stylish, can help keep shoes looking good in commuting situations as well.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In that case then have one or two pairs as your dirty pair for go anywhere do anything and keep all of your other shoes as your clean shoes to wear for special occasions.

Also, suede doesn't need as much upkeep as calf or shell. I only own 2 pairs of Aldens and both are suede.

I am definitely increasing the suede. Love the look and the minimal upkeep (Saphir condition and waterproof sprays). Not crazy about shell (ducks as rocks start to get thrown at me) due to the "ever-shine". I don't even mirror shine my calf shoes.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome to the Alden thread - I'll answer what I can.

Speaking for myself, I wear boots about as often as shoes year-round. And I know there are other regulars here that do the same (@audog for instance).

A King Wing is a Color 8 Shell Wingtip (because Color 8 is the "King" of shell cordovan colors).

Natty CXL is no longer being made by Alden, according to several reports from reliable sources; grab a pair or two now if they're available in your size.

As far as complements to your current lineup, I'd pick the Chukkas, but since you'll probably want a natty CXL Blucher, I'd suggest that and the suede Chukka.

@Texasmade has a good answer on keeping the shoes in good shape; I've got about 30 pair (which is quite a small collection by many of this thread's regaulrs' standards), so I only wear a given pair about once a month. That may not be the answer for you, though; living in the city and taking public transport is going to be a big factor. Other guys in that situation wear a pair of beaters until they get to the office and then change into their good shoes there. Another alternative is a pair of galoshes.
I do wear boots year around, boots are not a seasonal thing in my book.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am definitely increasing the suede. Love the look and the minimal upkeep (Saphir condition and waterproof sprays). Not crazy about shell (ducks as rocks start to get thrown at me) due to the "ever-shine". I don't ever mirror shine even my calf shoes.
Nothing wrong with not being a shell fan, although Alden does shell better than almost anyone. Wear what leather you like! Oh and welcome to the "herd"

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am definitely increasing the suede. Love the look and the minimal upkeep (Saphir condition and waterproof sprays). Not crazy about shell (ducks as rocks start to get thrown at me) due to the "ever-shine". I don't even mirror shine my calf shoes.
I'm not a shell fan either. I think most look nice but it's just not something I would enjoy owning since it doesn't really fit my style. I usually wear dress shoes from other brands (mainly John Lobb and Pierre Corthay) and use Alden suede shoes as my Friday casual stuff.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
...I only wear a given pair about once a month. That may not be the answer for you, though; living in the city and taking public transport is going to be a big factor. Other guys in that situation wear a pair of beaters until they get to the office and then change into their good shoes there. Another alternative is a pair of galoshes.

Overshoes, while not the most stylish, can help keep shoes looking good in commuting situations as well.

Could never get into overshoes/galoshes.

Spend half of each year over most of my career lugging nice shoes to work in my bag/briefcase while wearing crappy boots/sneakers/etc. and was hoping for a magic bullet but it seems like I am sticking with the current carry plan.

One year I got so frustrated I started wearing my scooter/motorcycle rain gear to work on rainy/snowy days (when I was not on my scooter which is reserved for weekend fun rides) and got made fun of all the time until it all came off and I was dry while laughing at all my friends with wet pants up to their knees. Urban public transport commuting just sucks the life out of you.

Last edited:

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will probably not get all 3 at once (my wife would have a nervous breakdown as she is supposed to be the one with the shoe collection in our relationship) so which 2 would round out what I already own that are shown above? My work/personal life is moving more towards casual wear (even pre-pandemic) and less business casual (and suits).

I find that...
1) Preorders help stagger things (at least in appearance)
2) A little gift timed appropriately...

giuseppe

Reaction score
I don't remember the model they were
IMG_20201021_180440.jpg

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

I am new to SF (long time lurker but newly registered) and this thread. I currently own the following and am looking to expand into more casual footwear:
- Alden 971 x Brooks Brothers straight tip bluchers - black calf
- Alden 972 x Brooks Brothers straight tip bluchers - walnut calf
- Alden 9695F x Brooks Brothers penny loafers (not LHS but not flex like current model) - black calf
- Alden 9697F x Brooks Brothers penny loafers (not LHS but not flex like current model) - brown suede
- AE Wilbert NST Brown calf
- AE Wilbert NST Dark Brown CXL
- Carmina 531 Derby/PTB - brown suede
- And Meermin Snuff SuperBuck NST blucher on the way....

I have gone through the first 150 pages in this thread. I did not read every post but rather skimmed ones that seemed interesting and viewed almost all of the shoe and boot pictures. I covered from January through mid-March. I plan to continue on this path until I catch up to the current era. For now, I have a few questions which I hope others would be willing to help answer:

I was surprised that it seemed boots were almost 50% of what was posted. Is that because most people wear boots as often as shoes or was it just the time period (late winter)?

What is a "King Wing"?

Does anyone have any idea what lasts my AldenxBB use (the shoes are circa 2011)? I have read they could be Aberdeen, Copley, Van, or even Snap but no fit information on the last one.

I really like lined PTBs so I am considering both a PTB Natural Chromexcel 9501 because I understand they may be gone forever very soon. Is there any truth to that or is it just a bad rumor?

I also like lined Chukkas and am considering a Chukka Boot Snuff Suede D4707 and/or Chukka Boot Brown Chromexcel 13781C from Alden Madison.

How do you all keep our shoes so clean and in such good shape? I have lived in urban areas and either walked and/or taken public transportation to work most of my life and my shoes simply get beat up no matter how careful I am so what is the secret to all these pictures of shoes in pristine condition (not judgmental, really looking for the magic answer)?

It would help if you posted the actual model numbers from inside the BB shoes you have. However, in general, the BB cap toe bluchers are on the Snap last, while the BB Madison Penny loafers (what you are describing as "not LHS but not flex") are generally on the Copley last.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It would help if you posted the actual model numbers from inside the BB shoes you have. However, in general, the BB cap toe bluchers are on the Snap last, while the BB Madison Penny loafers (what you are describing as "not LHS but not flex") are generally on the Copley last.

As you requested...

Black calfskin blucher
00052 9H15 027 11

Walnut calfskin blucher
00063 0E16 002 8

Black calfskin loafer
00067 0F05 029 11

Brown suede loafer
00065 8A07 010 3

The BB bluchers look like the current Alden straight tip blucher with a double sole. The loafers look like this (yes, these are the actual ones I own). Not LHS. Not Plaza. Not full-strap. They both have a double sole which is why I thought sort of current flex penny but not exactly the same.
116428d1597691507-seven-shoe-wardrobe-img_2243-jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads