• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Any recommendations on how to deal with a loose speed hook? Just starting to come out of the shell upper. I was a little disappointed to see this this morning after only having two occasions to wear these since I first got them. On both occasions I was very careful to not crank down on the speed hooks after having browsed the proceeding 600 pages here and heard that that can be a leading cause for this. Thankfully only one hook is loose/coming out. Is it as simple as just using a pair of plyers (with some protective material to prevent scratching) and just give it a little squeeze? Or does the pressure have to go into the concave inner part of the hook? I'm decently handy and have an arsenal of tools at my disposal, so hoping someone here has had a good experience fixing it themselves.

Any recommendations from those more experienced than I would be hugely appreciated!

IMG_0582.JPG

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Any recommendations on how to deal with a loose speed hook? Just starting to come out of the shell upper. I was a little disappointed to see this this morning after only having two occasions to wear these since I first got them. On both occasions I was very careful to not crank down on the speed hooks after having browsed the proceeding 600 pages here and heard that that can be a leading cause for this. Thankfully only one hook is loose/coming out. Is it as simple as just using a pair of plyers (with some protective material to prevent scratching) and just give it a little squeeze? Or does the pressure have to go into the concave inner part of the hook? I'm decently handy and have an arsenal of tools at my disposal, so hoping someone here has had a good experience fixing it themselves.

Any recommendations from those more experienced than I would be hugely appreciated!

View attachment 1479664

Take pix. Email "General (at) aldenshoe.com". They will likely tell you return them to the factory and they'll fix them. Don't try any DIY methods with this.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have spent the last several says in the Seattle-area apartment-hunting with my eldest spawn who incredibly-enough has gotten the dream-job in the middle of all this craziness.

So, the Yenni boots have been getting pounded on every day, and taking it all with aplomb...
Kaj89MV.jpg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Hello all,

View attachment 1479664

I personally would send them to Bedos Leatherwork. He repaired my Whiskey Wingtip Boots, which had a speedhook ripping the Shell when I received them. Did a fantastic job and you would never know that there was every any concern...

Cheers,
Mike

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally would send them to Bedos Leatherwork. He repaired my Whiskey Wingtip Boots, which had a speedhook ripping the Shell when I received them. Did a fantastic job and you would never know that there was every any concern...

Cheers,
Mike
I will second this opinion. I took a pair of the other A company boots with speed hook coming out to a local cobbler. He didn't do such a great job, in fact they wound up in the charity bin due to his "Craftsmanship", USE A PRO!

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That reverse tabacky cham is made for PA winters. Looks great, impervious to the elements.

405s get a lot of love here. Is it a look, and they do look great, or is there a fit/comfort angle? I have a single pair of trubalance Indys and they are indeed very comfortable and fit well. What else does the 405 bring to the table? Is it the neocork sole?
Have wide or sensitive feet (or both)? The Indy can’t be beat. (I might go lay by the bay and make things of clay.)

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Starting the week with a shot of whiskey.

D02BA921-5DE7-4D8C-B537-0087D80293CF.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Monday Alden Fans!
This is a difficult post to write, but it has become "painfully" obvious to me over the past month or so, that I MUST wear my custom orthotics with all footwear. With boots, this isn't an issue, and boots provide a needed ankle support. The orthotics keep foot in proper alignment. As they are custom, they do not work well with shoes, even if on same last as boots. The geometry is just not right and they cause the heel to ride just a bit too high in the heel cup, which makes wearing the shoes uncomfortable in a different way. A trip to the Podiatrist this morning confirms my thoughts. Therefore, I will be listing shoes on the B/S/T thread later today and perhaps as well tomorrow, not all of them, as some I simply love too much to list at this time, but some, in a variety of leathers. My foot pain may become someone's foot gain. Have a great week everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads