• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the Barrie last compare to a Whites Semi-Dress last? My only reference pair of boots I have are a pair of 8.5C/E Bounty Hunter's and they've been fitting great so far. I like the high instep and the roomy toebox.

Would I size similarly in the barrie last? My Brannock is usually 9E/9.5DorE

If your Semi Dress was built on the 55 and with a combo last, I would probably start with E for barrie. I'd say Aldens Trubalance last is closer to the 55 last but with a more shallow instep.

lcdx22

Reaction score
Hi guys. Kind of a long shot, but does anyone know where I can get a colour 8 medallion toe PCT boot with quarter broguing, leather soles on Aberdeen or Grant last? I know frans Boone has a version on Grant but the 25% price increase is a little insane...

Mahogany welt, exposed eyelets, speed hooks and a flat welt is preferred but not mandatory.

I know Adam listed a pair on his last call page a few years ago. It was aoc-9 I believe. It had everything on my list except speed hooks. It was on Aberdeen last. I missed out and it never came back.

Alden DC has something very close to what you're looking for. Color 8 medallion with a flat antique welt kn commando with hooks on Grant Last. I have not seen them but speaking with Brian at DC he said they carry them.

fushaw

Reaction score
If your Semi Dress was built on the 55 and with a combo last, I would probably start with E for barrie. I'd say Aldens Trubalance last is closer to the 55 last but with a more shallow instep.

How about length? Would a 8.5E barrie be about the same length as a 8.5C/E combo Semi-Dress last?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about length? Would a 8.5E barrie be about the same length as a 8.5C/E combo Semi-Dress last?
Length should be the same, i.e., half down from brannock for most.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maiden Voyage, getting drivers license renewed, and the age of COVID-this is not an easy thing. Wait in a vestibule, get handed a number, go back outside and wait around until they call your number, wear a mask, the staff sanitizes everything multiple times. Pick up a pen, they sanitize it when you put it down, get your vision tested, sanitize. Whole process took about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish and I didn't need to drive or take any type of test, that would have made it even longer.
IMG_4723.jpeg

djbanor

Reaction score
Maiden Voyage, getting drivers license renewed, and the age of COVID-this is not an easy thing. Wait in a vestibule, get handed a number, go back outside and wait around until they call your number, wear a mask, the staff sanitizes everything multiple times. Pick up a pen, they sanitize it when you put it down, get your vision tested, sanitize. Whole process took about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish and I didn't need to drive or take any type of test, that would have made it even longer. View attachment 1469212
At our location they only give out 200 tickets a day, so, unless you're among the first 200 in line when they open at 8am, you won't be served. To make sure you're in the first 200, you need to be there before 6am. Once you have a ticket, you stand in line till they take your phone number. You receive a text with your number in the queue, and you're told that you'll receive another text when it's your turn -- this could be anywhere between half an hour to 4 hours. Once you receive the text, you line up again to be let inside.

Today was my 5th visit in the past month. (Got there at 6:30am last Friday and was outside the first 200 -- some people camp out all night, others get there as early as 3am.) Thankfully got a ticket.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At our location they only give out 200 tickets a day, so, unless you're among the first 200 in line when they open at 8am, you won't be served. To make sure you're in the first 200, you need to be there before 6am. Once you have a ticket, you stand in line till they take your phone number. You receive a text with your number in the queue, and you're told that you'll receive another text when it's your turn -- this could be anywhere between half an hour to 4 hours. Once you receive the text, you line up again to be let inside.

Today was my 5th visit in the past month. (Got there at 6:30am last Friday and was outside the first 200 -- some people camp out all night, others get there as early as 3am.) Thankfully got a ticket.
I drove 35 miles to a small town near here with a license facility as what you are describing is similar to what happens in my town. It was worth the drive as only 4 people in front of me :) Plus, the town where I live has about 30K college students and COVID is running rampant on the campus, and I know they go to Dr. License facility, so wanted to stay away. After all, I'm in a "High Risk" group (over age 65 old fart)

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will throw another variable into the subject of adding hooks. I have done this on several pairs and I did not realize that there is a difference in the anchoring of the hooks. This pair received 4 hooks.

View attachment 1465224

The hooks are inserted through the eyelet and then widened some on the back of the eyelet so they do not fall out.

View attachment 1465225

I have found that this may not be the most dependable hook and I have had to replace several after they were added. They started to come through the leather. The hooks inserted on another pair had a different attachment system and the individual prongs were better at gripping into the leather for a tighter grip. They go in straight and then a squeezed and mushroomed into their final position and grip. I would recommend these over the style in the tan suede pair seen above.

View attachment 1465226

By an odd coincidence, I was putting on the suede books in the original post and one of the hooks came flying off. It pulled out completely. A local cobbler fixed it, but it reinforced my opinions about the weakness of the attachment when inserrted through the existing eyelet.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden Voyage, getting drivers license renewed, and the age of COVID-this is not an easy thing. Wait in a vestibule, get handed a number, go back outside and wait around until they call your number, wear a mask, the staff sanitizes everything multiple times. Pick up a pen, they sanitize it when you put it down, get your vision tested, sanitize. Whole process took about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish and I didn't need to drive or take any type of test, that would have made it even longer. View attachment 1469212
Nice, what are those? Is that a smooth chamois?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads