• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
J Crew color 8 for grilling out this evening
DSC05184.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, COVID-19 doesn't seemed to have stopped some folks. THIS IS UNRELATED TO FOOTWEAR. I just got a call from the "Social Security Protection Department" informing me that there was an arrest warrant issued on me due to suspected fraudulent activity with my Social Security card number. My Social Security card has been suspended until the issue is resolved" Press 1 to resolve this issue....so I pressed one, and a guy who could barely speak English, informed me that I needed to give him my SSN, so he could "double check" the pending arrest, as the Sheriff was already en-route to my residence. I told him, that first- he should learn to speak proper American English, and second I knew it was a phone scam, and third, he was an asshole. Following this I called the local authorities to report it as they spoofed a local phone number that actually belongs to a friend of mine. And all I wanted to do was look at footwear on the internet and enjoy a nice evening......

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking of scam calls, yesterday I had a voice mail with a creepy ass robot voice that said "This is a test. Time to stay home. Stay safe and stay home." That was the second time I've got one of those calls. The voice really is creepy.

On the plus side, I haven't received one with the Chinese speaking woman in a long time.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Change of footwear for the evening, it's been an "interesting" day. The JCrew boots are currently "resting" after being cleaned. Walking across my front yard and one of my neighbors decided it would be fine to let his/her dog take a crap in my yard and not clean it up. After slipping in the feces, I noticed that not only was it on the side of the boot, but had covered the welt. My son, the Doc of Physical Therapy, says my knee will go back to normal size, just "sprained" it, apply ice. It's the dog **** on the boot that had me more concerned...I have never seen this particular subject broached on the forum before, but I am fairly certain it has happened to someone else. I have done a damp wipe, used an old toothbrush to scrub the welt, and have put a light coat of VSC on them. If you are a dog owner, clean up after your pup!
IMG_4586.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Chinese speaking dirtbag is just killing me, getting those idiotic calls 2 to 3 times a week.
I have blocked so many numbers...
I live in a town with a sizable Chinese population (lots of students) I have been told that it is some kind of scam, targeted at people from China, something about visa being void and need to send money to reactivate it. Not sure if its correct, but I get a couple a day.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in a town with a sizable Chinese population (lots of students) I have been told that it is some kind of scam, targeted at people from China, something about visa being void and need to send money to reactivate it. Not sure if its correct, but I get a couple a day.

It's common in the Washington, DC area too. I get a few a week. I think the Washington Post explained it similar to your explanation.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's common in the Washington, DC area too. I get a few a week. I think the Washington Post explained it similar to your explanation.
When I called the local people about the Social Security Scam phone call, they told me that they get 20 to 30 calls a day about it and 15 or so have fallen for it. No wonder people keep calling....I wonder if those 15 or so are not "mentally" with it, as how could one believe a person who doesn't have even a basic command of the language? I want to take out a full page ad in a local newspaper (as only old people get a paper, and they seem the target market for scam calls of this type), telling people to just swear at the caller and hang up.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK,posted earlier about boots getting covered in dog ****....has NO ONE ELSE EVER HAD THIS HAPPEN....it's ok, you can admit it, we are a family here.
In all seriousness, even though I promptly wiped them off with water, dried with a towel, then applied VSC, I'm wondering if there will be residual impact from the by product of a dogs digestive system.

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
check out Jim browning on YouTube. He has been systematically taking down these computer virus scammers using advanced hacking. He has also been able to get some of them arrested.

adrs1157

Reaction score
Well I'm just smitten with these! A very special pair landed today courtesy of Rafael at Moulded Shoe.

I've sold enough pairs to splurge on a grail. I was poring over makeup after makeup from mainly C&J, Viberg and Alden stockists. I came to away unsatisfied until @savvysartorial posted those Modified lasted longwings a few pages back. He reminded me of Moulded Shoe, whos website I hadn't looked at for at least couple of years.

For some reason the colour 8 boot makeups seem to sell out rather quickly in popular sizes. At least every time I check out the site, my size is never available. But he had it in stock...a grail boot of mine. Finally.

I've bought two pairs from Rafael already before this one, several years ago. He's been great to work with. This transaction was just as quick and easy. Shipped out Wednesday and landed at my doorstep here in Canada today - on Friday. Absolutely no complaints here.

And they're very beautiful. Admittedly, I've been lusting after Anatomica's unlined colour 8 boots because of the patterning. I love the exterior heel counter stitching, sharper lasting due to the lack of a lining (unlined modified makes a pretty shapely boot!) and the pull tab. So many nice details on a colour 8 backdrop.

However, this PCT pattern has some extra details on the quarters (usually they're barren on a typical Alden derby boot). They have speed hooks, leather outsoles, and a pull tab (love it!), and in E-width! Perfectly executed too, not a stitch out of place!

I'll take some proper pictures tomorrow. But here's a taster. I highly recommend trying out Modified last if you haven't yet. There's nothing out there like it.

PCT Boot in Colour 8 Cordovan, antique 270 degree flat welt, agatine hardware, foot balance heel, single oak outsole, pull tab. Modified last:

20200918_213136.jpg

20200918_213010.jpg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK,posted earlier about boots getting covered in dog ****....has NO ONE ELSE EVER HAD THIS HAPPEN....it's ok, you can admit it, we are a family here.
In all seriousness, even though I promptly wiped them off with water, dried with a towel, then applied VSC, I'm wondering if there will be residual impact from the by product of a dogs digestive system.
Yes, it has happened to me, too. Luckily, it was a pair of boots with Dainite soles, and it only got on the soles and a little bit on the welts, so I was able to wash it off with a hose in the back yard (and I quickly discovered that you have to hit those damned divots at just the right angle if you don't want it to splash back into your face, LOL...).

?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads