• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed13

Reaction score
We are on a Style Forum, that shows an above average interest in clothing/footwear and the like. I would argue that the average person wouldn't even consider joining a forum devoted to clothing, much less care that much about clothing. I'm sure we all know at least one person who's wife/significant other, buys their clothing for them as they have no real interest. My point was, because we are here, shows we care more than the average "Joe" about clothing/style/fashion and the ancillary pieces (footwear, socks, watches, etc....)
I agree people here care more about clothing than most but caring and doing is not the same thing. I was pointing out the idea of the "fact" that all people here are better is stretching the truth. I am anal about facts or stated percentages without proof, accuracy is important in life. If opinion was used in place of fact it would not have caught my attention.

He's just trolling you, no point in continuing to engage.
I don't spend much time here but I figure you could see my post history. If so, you should be able to see I post and move on but do not troll. Maybe before throwing crap out there you should do a little homework to get things right. Again, accuracy is important.

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
Hi all, I've only posted a few times in here as my Alden collection is fairly small (tan calfskin LWB and whiskey PTB), but I wanted to see what shoe/boot everyone wears in inclement weather? I live in Philly so the winters aren't terrible compared to other parts in the region. I may be in the market for some black shell cordovan tankers (I am assuming they are called tankers for a reason), but I was curious as to how shell would hold up in snow and ice. I commute to work via public transpo, so I do a fair amount of walking(Although, who knows how much commuting i'll be doing in the future as I have been WFH). I skimmed a few pages from the thread during last winter and it seemed like a lot of you were wearing some variation of a suede or shell boot on commando in the snow. Thoughts on the Tanker as a commuter/inclement weather boot? Thanks all

Am I crazy, but nobody responded to this query and it seems really of interest.

In snow in Boston I wear CXL + deep lug sole. An even better choice is reverse chamois. Earth reverse chamois is beautiful.

Warning: the Alden/Goodyear lug sole does poorly on ice or slippery surfaces and softer rubber soles are better such as mini/lug or wedge sole. I am very careful when things get icy.

I don’t have experience with cordovan in winter.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I crazy, but nobody responded to this query and it seems really of interest.

In snow in Boston I wear CXL + deep lug sole. An even better choice is reverse chamois. Earth reverse chamois is beautiful.

Warning: the Alden/Goodyear lug sole does poorly on ice or slippery surfaces and softer rubber soles are better such as mini/lug or wedge sole. I am very careful when things get icy.

I don’t have experience with cordovan in winter.
I am from Boston. While shell is a very durable leather, I personally don’t and wouldn’t use any of my Alden, or nice footwear in general, in the winter elements.

It has less to do with getting the leather wet than it does with the salt treatments that are used. Regardless of the quality of the leather or the shoe care products that you use, even minimal salt exposure can permanently damage your footwear.

When commuting during a storm, I will just wear winter boots and change into my nice shoes at work. On non storm days, I use SWIMS over shoes or the SWIMS mobster boot overshoe depending on how much slush/ice is on the street.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Hump day forum pals. Now get out there and hump something.

IMG_9381.jpg

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MOST people in the USA dress as if it were a casual
Saturday afternoon on the deck, sadly. Dress like an adult.
I would give this 10 likes if I could. I could not agree more!

adrs1157

Reaction score
Anyone got moulded shoe's email? All this talk about modified last has me looking at a pair.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE trunk show bourbon today. It's the midweek push to the weekend.

PXL_20200916_145622528.jpg
PXL_20200916_144522789.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads