• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norwester

Reaction score
Here in Seattle commando is king, with double waterloc a close second. Now that we are having some sunny days, though, I have been able to enjoy my new (to me) black calfskin NST bluchers on double leather soles. Although the same size in Barrie as my cap-toe boots and longwings, these are noticeably narrower in the toe box. Nevertheless very comfortable walking shoes for clement weather.
NST.JPG

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, I designed a boot with AoM that I think will appeal to some of you, and so shamelessly, I'm plugging it here. It will be made if they get 6 confirmed/paid deposits. If there isn't enough interest, the deposits get refunded. The crowdfund website for this style is here if you are interested. Details / photoshop below - all sizes/widths available, as well (until 3 widths are ordered).

The Battalion Boot
- Chocolate Suede
- Perforated Cap Toe Boot
- Trubalance Last
- 360 Antique Pre-Stitched Reverse Welt and Antique Edge
- Commando Sole
- Brass Eyelets and Brass Speed Hooks
- Indy Side Stitch
- Large Perfs on Cap Toe
- Pinked Edge on Cap Toe

View attachment 1447106

Great makeup. Can't believe you didn't suggest the Jeff Boot. Not too late to change it to a floating medallion

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Design your own makeups, then. It's not hard, and many retailers will work with you if you have a good idea or can get enough people to commit. The reason many makeups are on antique/commando is because those sell well. Dark edge and leather soles tend to scare some people away, particularly on boots. I am a big fan of the right leather soled makeups (rubber heel + waterloc, for example), and have designed a number of those for several retailers, as well. I felt that commando was the right choice for this boot, as well as antique. With a dark edge, this would be a dark, drab boot, like this one.
Commando is a great sole, grippy but not to obtrusive, Alden did it right with a rubber sole that can handle inclement weather, but look somewhat sleek. That being said, I prefer leather/Waterloc/Neocork, but for rubber sole Commando so beats Dainite it's not even a contest.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Design your own makeups, then. It's not hard, and many retailers will work with you if you have a good idea or can get enough people to commit. The reason many makeups are on antique/commando is because those sell well. Dark edge and leather soles tend to scare some people away, particularly on boots. I am a big fan of the right leather soled makeups (rubber heel + waterloc, for example), and have designed a number of those for several retailers, as well. I felt that commando was the right choice for this boot, as well as antique. With a dark edge, this would be a dark, drab boot, like this one.
Wasn’t necessarily directed at your make up, but just a general observation with the majority of make ups lately. My apologies if I offended.

While I would like to design my own make ups, my tastes are probably a little too esoteric that it wouldn’t interest many. I’d be happy to just buy a lot of the Asia market make ups but I’m not paying $9-1k+ for a non exotic Alden.

Last edited:

lcdx22

Reaction score
Wasn’t necessarily directed at your make up, but just a general observation with the majority of make ups lately. My apologies if I offended.

While I would like to design my own make ups, my tastes are probably a little too esoteric that it wouldn’t interest many. I’d be happy to just buy a lot of the Asia market make ups but I’m not paying $9-1k+ for a non exotic Alden.

You should give it a shot. You never know. With AoM new approach there is no downside. You design, pay, and they help you promote. You get 3 months. Seems completely reasonable and super easy.

I'd say the first thing you should do though is put a deposit down on that Loden Indy that's being crowd funded so we can make that happen. Just need a couple more.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Commando is a great sole, grippy but not to obtrusive, Alden did it right with a rubber sole that can handle inclement weather, but look somewhat sleek. That being said, I prefer leather/Waterloc/Neocork, but for rubber sole Commando so beats Dainite it's not even a contest.

I dislike Dainite too. I find it very slippery. Have you tried the Ridgeway sole that EG has been using?

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dislike Dainite too. I find it very slippery. Have you tried the Ridgeway sole that EG has been using?
The Ridgeway sole looks super aggressive. It would be awesome for a rugged fall/winter boot.

htimsdj

Reaction score
This is unpopular, but I hate boots. And I just saved a lot of money on the shell boots below to find out I don’t need to buy any more boots.

I love loafers. I always use a shoe horn, so they are easy on and easy off. I don’t crumple the back of the shoe like my son does with his tennis shoes. I tolerate my PTB and LWB.

I have 403 and 404 Indy boots. I use them in the yard. What a pain to put on. I need to loosen the laces all the way down to the first holes. My wife doesn’t understand when I go out for yard work and I refuse to go back in until I’m done. I ain’t going through that again!

I see so many nice boots on this thread, so I thought I would try some shell boots. Got these cap toe boots on eBay for $325. Less than my CXL Indys.

I love this thread and the community with it, but I’ll stick to looking at your boots while wearing my loafers!

AEC602F7-8016-47CE-BE75-CAC18C1D6F9A.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads