• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've been itching for maybe an NST on plaza.

Here are the options
1. AF26 - it's the OG and iconic, 270 storm welt but only drawback I have is commando sole

2. Gentlemen's footwear - flat welt plus leather sole.

3. B+M - flat welt, leather sole and mahogany welt. So dressiest of the pack.

I've been going back and forth. Flat vs storm welt, antique vs Mahogany, commando vs leather....

What do you guys think? I feel like if I skip the AF26 and go to the flat welt then may as well just make it mahogany and get the dressier look.

Hmmm...

View attachment 1441242 View attachment 1441241 View attachment 1441244

Carmel or GF imo. Current Alden color 8 is so dark that I'm not big on the dark welts on anything other than the dressiest makeups (mostly bals). Antique really helps set off the color 8 with some contrast

Resipsaloquitor

Reaction score
Happy Friday!

Very nice knot as well my compadre. I have always (since about 10th grade) been fascinated with tie knots. Did you use a pen in the center when you pulled it up tight? Tip for others is to use a clean pen as it will mark your tie if you have not made sure it is free of gooby or ink. I drive the local customs inspector nuts when home at the ranch and at workpad by always commenting on other’s tie knots (including yours:)) It is the small details that some of us notice.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ANOTHER trip to the doggie ER Vet. Guess dogs shouldn't eat bumblebees.
IMG_4240.jpeg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice knot as well my compadre. I have always (since about 10th grade) been fascinated with tie knots. Did you use a pen in the center when you pulled it up tight? Tip for others is to use a clean pen as it will mark your tie if you have not made sure it is free of gooby or ink. I drive the local customs inspector nuts when home at the ranch and at workpad by always commenting on other’s tie knots (including yours:)) It is the small details that some of us notice.
I use my index finger to push in the center a bit and squeeze the outsides between thumb and middle finger. Pen, pencil etc sounds like a potential snag or mark where you don't want one.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the comments on the (getting expensive to treat) dog. Vet says every test comes back normal, it could be the bumblebees he ingested, or it could be the little berries that fall from the tree in just outside his fenced area (can't identify the tree...3 different plant ID apps, have given me 3 different species). Whatever is causing his gastrointestinal issues, it's getting old, but he is alert and seems happy, just going at both ends (frequently). Got meds, and changed footwear.
IMG_4163.jpeg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the comments on the (getting expensive to treat) dog. Vet says every test comes back normal, it could be the bumblebees he ingested, or it could be the little berries that fall from the tree in just outside his fenced area (can't identify the tree...3 different plant ID apps, have given me 3 different species). Whatever is causing his gastrointestinal issues, it's getting old, but he is alert and seems happy, just going at both ends (frequently). Got meds, and changed footwear. View attachment 1441437

Sorry to hear about the pup. No fun to have it coming from both ends but glad that he is in good spirits.

-Mike

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ANOTHER trip to the doggie ER Vet. Guess dogs shouldn't eat bumblebees. View attachment 1441404

My dog was acting like a cat the other night. He was swatting at, and essentially tap dancing on a centipede. It was an odd battle. When the centipede froze, my beagle just stared at it, but when it ran, he would keep tapping on it with his front paws and his nails kept making clicking noises on the hardwood. This went on for about two minutes. Eventually, I ended the stalemate, with a paper towel resulting in a dead centipede.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My dog was acting like a cat the other night. He was swatting at, and essentially tap dancing on a centipede. It was an odd battle. When the centipede froze, my beagle just stared at it, but when it ran, he would keep tapping on it with his front paws and his nails kept making clicking noises on the hardwood. This went on for about two minutes. Eventually, I ended the stalemate, with a paper towel resulting in a dead centipede.
Totally un-footwear related, but much earlier in life we lived in a 100 yr old farmhouse, that had mice. Trapped one in a traditional mouse trap by one rear leg, we woke up to the sound of clap-scrape-clap-scrape. The thing was dragging the trap across the hardwood floor, with two Golden Retrievers, one on each side of it, just watching and walking along slowly, with that dog head-turned trying to understand what they were seeing look.....Wish we had cell phones with cameras at that time, oh, didn't even have cell phones without camera's.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a daft question, but does The Shoe Mart accept requests to see a photograph or two of a Factory Seconds pair of boots before placing an order?
I am interested in a pair but would want to avoid expensive international shipping for returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads