• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So... World Wide pandemic, Derecho winds tear up midwest, major fires, earthquakes in S
IMG_4190.jpeg
tates without a fault line, cicada's at record numbers, locusts, and a whole lot of other things happening.........so Alden model 666 loafers for the evening

Gertoshav

Reaction score

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess it depends on how AE will define "sneaker." I have Carmina shell sneakers that look like this:
View attachment 1439790

It also reminded me of this article here: https://www.stitchdown.com/interviews-and-profiles/worlds-first-shell-cordovan-nikes/
I'm guessing AE is trying their best to attract younger people this go around.
But those are medallion toe shoes that look like sneakers. I have an idea, lets drop the subject I brought up. AE is trying to attract younger people, and fashion forward people, while Alden continues to make classic shoes and boots, that are often sold out even before they hit the stores that create the preorders.....who has the wining formula for longevity?

smmrfld

Reaction score
But those are medallion toe shoes that look like sneakers. I have an idea, lets drop the subject I brought up. AE is trying to attract younger people, and fashion forward people, while Alden continues to make classic shoes and boots, that are often sold out even before they hit the stores that create the preorders.....who has the wining formula for longevity?
Nothing at all wrong with shell sneakers...I have two pair from Epaulet and they're terrific. I would worry about AE's abysmal quality control tho...stay far away IMO.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was called to task on the AE thread for my comments on shell sneakers, I believe the comment was to call me a "Debbie Downer", so I want to apologize to all here who I may, or may not, have offended with my shell sneaker comments. It is still my opinion that sneakers are not made from shell, and that sneaker looking shoes could be made from shell, but they are not sneakers, but shell shoes that look like sneakers.

smmrfld

Reaction score
I was called to task on the AE thread for my comments on shell sneakers, I believe the comment was to call me a "Debbie Downer", so I want to apologize to all here who I may, or may not, have offended with my shell sneaker comments. It is still my opinion that sneakers are not made from shell, and that sneaker looking shoes could be made from shell, but they are not sneakers, but shell shoes that look like sneakers.
No need at all to apologize...we all have our tastes and preferences. I think Color #2 look like clown shoes, but they’ve achieved mythical status because they’re rare. YMMV.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No need at all to apologize...we all have our tastes and preferences. I think Color #2 look like clown shoes, but they’ve achieved mythical status because they’re rare. YMMV.
I value the input, comments and posts of the person who called me out on the sneaker thing. So will refrain from further comments on them as I certainly don't want to offend anyone on these threads. We are all here for the footwear, and everyone's opinion on footwear is as valid as anyone else's. Bottom line is, we all like shoes and boots, and all have different opinions about what is good, or not. My opinion, is just that, my opinion, and not any more valuable than any other member's.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score

For what it's worth: the only reason I'm even mildly interested in shell "casuals" is I've seen a few on instagram that were PHENOMENAL. Shell Jordan's, shell Common Projects, and something that looked REALLY close to shell Converse. It can be done. Will AE get it right? That's the real question.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear what you like and listen to yourself instead.. my 2 cents.. for instance I like LHSes and Tassels.. others like tips..
Dog is all about boots but lately Tassels
The key is to enjoy life and wear a smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads