• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uptowntopranking

Reaction score
Hello there,

I hope someone may be able to help me please. This is my first post on this forum. I am looking to purchase a pair of Alden Indy boots as a surprise gift for my husband. I know that ideally he would try them on in store, but mainly due to lockdown and also not wanting to ruin the surprise, I am looking to take the gamble and order some online. I am in the UK.

In all shoes, boots and running shoes, he takes a size UK9. This is for his work/dress shoes, casual wear (Clarks Original Desert Boots, Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars) and all running shoes Brookes, Saucony, Asics etc.

However, I just looked at his Red Wing Iron Rangers which say they're a UK8 (US 9D).

Wondering if anyone here has a pair of Alden Indy boots, and maybe some similar styles I mentioned above, and can advise on which size Indys I should plump for? Particularly if you also have the iron rangers.

Thank you in anticipation ;)

lcdx22

Reaction score
Hello there,

I hope someone may be able to help me please. This is my first post on this forum. I am looking to purchase a pair of Alden Indy boots as a surprise gift for my husband. I know that ideally he would try them on in store, but mainly due to lockdown and also not wanting to ruin the surprise, I am looking to take the gamble and order some online. I am in the UK.

In all shoes, boots and running shoes, he takes a size UK9. This is for his work/dress shoes, casual wear (Clarks Original Desert Boots, Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars) and all running shoes Brookes, Saucony, Asics etc.

However, I just looked at his Red Wing Iron Rangers which say they're a UK8 (US 9D).

Wondering if anyone here has a pair of Alden Indy boots, and maybe some similar styles I mentioned above, and can advise on which size Indys I should plump for? Particularly if you also have the iron rangers.

It's really nice that you want to surprise him, but sizing can be difficult.

If he is a 9uk (10us) in everything, he should take the Indy boot half size down. So 8.5uk(9.5us).

In reference to iron rangers alot of people take them a full size down which seems to align with what your husband did.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hello there,

Sneakers are poor for gauging shoe size. People often wear a larger Sneaker size than regular shoe. I wear same size Indy as Iron Ranger. Keep in mind most US shops won’t ship Alden outside North America. I suggest start looking at End, Kafka, the Bureau, Frans Boone. Also, for some reason UK retailers tend to stock wide width. What’s confusing is in US width E means wide but in UK it means medium/standard so it’s not always clear if the retailer is offering a US medium/D and calling it E or if it’s actually a US E. Finally, remember the Indy runs about 1/2 large.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello there,

I can only speak for myself, but I wear the same size in both my Indy boots and Iron Rangers. US 8.5(D) which is a medium width here in the USA.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
B&M Plaza last suede Indy's this morning.
IMG_4025.jpeg

djbanor

Reaction score
Hello there,

Should be either US 9D or 9.5D for the Indy. As long as an exchange is possible, you should be fine for the surprise :)

If you're close to London, you can try Trunk Clothiers and Clutch Cafe. There was also a small shop close to Brick Lane that sold Aldens, but I can't remember its name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads