• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean. I've not put a pair on since March either and lost a bunch of weight so I'm the market to rebuy. In the past I bought off the rack at the big department stores, so nothing great. They would look like crap after 3-4 months.

So looking to get something better but also reasonably priced. I can justify spending $1000 on shoes but $250 dress pants feel like they're a $1M ?

If there was like a Gustin of dress trousers. Is there such a thing?
Spier & Mackay

lcdx22

Reaction score
Yeah, they used to have a program called Ends For Friends, where they would scavenge all the left over fabrics and would do orders with the fabric ends. Used to be a good deal for a few off pairs of some amazing fabrics. When you got a pair, you felt like you won the lottery.

-Mike

Yeah I see them in the MTO list, but following the thread there is usually lots of things going on with tops vs bottoms. Lots of jackets and shirts.

Usually Spier & Mackay
Spier & Mackay

Thanks guys! I'll check out Spier & Mackay.

lcdx22

Reaction score
Regarding favorite makeups. I know it seems plain but the Plaza Cigar Cap To boot from the Armoury was pretty on point. The shade is great. Cap toe + Dark welt + all eyelets + plaza = win!

Not mine.

Screenshot_20200715-080726~2.png

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In a continued defiance of conventional norms, I am wearing tankers on a Wednesday.

IMG_9045.jpg

darkclassic

Reaction score
I like the way mdubs did this. Here are my picks of greatest hits from Alden... from my humble collection.

Color 8 - Alden of Carmel unlined NST AoC-77
AoC-77 061720-2.jpg

Cigar - TSM WTB
TSM cigar WTB.jpg

Ravello - Hampton shortwings
ravello swb 060820.jpg

Whiskey - TSM LWB
whiskey 100919.jpg

Black - Context NST on barrie
blackbirds 111819.jpg

Today's kicks: Brogue chukka on hampton
brogue chukka 071520.jpg

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
I know this is a shoe thread but wanted to ask where do you guys buy your dress pants? Any specific brand? Any places that have different texture options as well?

Thanks in advance!

I find the offerings at Banana Republic to be decent and with their frequent sales the pricing is often pretty good. They have slim and standard fits so once you figure out your size, online sale ordering is pretty easy. Their pants can usually be had in the $30-50 range and are a cut above the department store offerings IMO. I want to try Spier and Mackay as well, but their stuff is in the next tier of pricing.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Q: anyone with Allen Edmonds Macneils and Alden LWB/975s. Wondering about size translation...(also posting in AE thread). I wear the Macneil in 10eee; hoping for some 975s. Thanks ?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Q: anyone with Allen Edmond Macneils and Alden LWB/975s. Wondering about size translation...(also posting in AE thread). I wear the Macneil in 10eee; hoping for some 975s. Thanks ?

You'll almost certainly need a 9.5, but I'm not sure if you would be able to go down a width to EE or not. The 97 last is short and has a very narrow toe, whereas the Barrie last tends to run 1/2 size large and has a broader toe. If the reason you take EEE is due to toebox room, then you'll probably be fine with 9.5EE in Barrie, but if it's due to instep or foot volume, then you might need to stick with EEE in Barrie also.

FWIW, I never got a good fit in the 97 last, but I ended up taking 8.5E in that last for the best fit (although it was roomy in the heel/instep). 8.5D was wearable but cramped my toes. I take 8D in Barrie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads