• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes great question. Perfect answer is 1/4 size down. Since not an option, TTS. Definitely would not go 1/2 down as it would be too tight, at least for my foot. I am a 13D with higher instep.
I wear 12D Barrie but 11.5D Barrie almost fits - one foot is fine but another is just a hair too tight. 12D Grant fits me well as it eats up a little of the space from 12D Barrie.

serbarristan

Reaction score
Yes great question. Perfect answer is 1/4 size down. Since not an option, TTS. Definitely would not go 1/2 down as it would be too tight, at least for my foot. I am a 13D with higher instep.
How does the instep on Grant compare to Barrie and Plaza? Thanks.

lcdx22

Reaction score
How does the instep on Grant compare to Barrie and Plaza? Thanks.

More room than Plaza, but I wouldn't say it's so different that fit in the instep would be an issue between the 2 lasts. Can't comment on Barrie as I don't own anything right now on it. I want to say Barrie in 1/2 size down has less instep room if I recall from trying on a pair of LWBs.

serbarristan

Reaction score
More room than Plaza, but I wouldn't say it's so different that fit in the instep would be an issue between the 2 lasts. Can't comment on Barrie as I don't own anything right now on it. I want to say Barrie in 1/2 size down has less instep room if I recall from trying on a pair of LWBs.
Awesome, appreciate the insight. Plaza seems about as high of an instep as I can go as my blucher facings get pretty close. Grant might be off limits for me.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a question for the thread....how many pair of jumpers is too many? I have quite a few in black calf, color 8, black shell and although all are different lasts/soles....I'm wondering if I just have too many (or conversely, not enough). I mean is 10 pair of jumpers too many????

lcdx22

Reaction score
I have a question for the thread....how many pair of jumpers is too many? I have quite a few in black calf, color 8, black shell and although all are different lasts/soles....I'm wondering if I just have too many (or conversely, not enough). I mean is 10 pair of jumpers too many????

Different colors don't count as duplicate. I'd say only look at how many you have in same style and same color.

I've been trying to justify to myself that I need color 8 Barrie lasted jumper w/ reverse welt since it's different than my color 8 Grant lasted jumper with flat welt. Not there yet but working on myself.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Different colors don't count as duplicate. I'd say only look at how many you have in same style and same color.

I've been trying to justify to myself that I need color 8 Barrie lasted jumper w/ reverse welt since it's different than my color 8 Grant lasted jumper with flat welt. Not there yet but working on myself.
Once you cross the threshold of "Its a different last/welt/oh this one has foxing........" it's a slippery slope.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once you cross the threshold of "Its a different last/welt/oh this one has foxing........" it's a slippery slope.
Jumpers are just your jam. What style do you own the most of? Mine is the LWB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads