• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theratpack

Reaction score
Anyone know of a shop with a Grant Color #8 Shell Perforated Cap Toe Boot on commando with quarter stitch and no pinking? Closest I've found is Alden of Carmel's, but it has pinking. I'll pick up Carmel's anyways if he does another run and can squeeze in E widths because the over-sized pinking is interesting, but I was just curious if there was another.

Also, any shops doing Loden suede boots neither in a split-toe nor wingtip? Ealdwine's is perfect, but I'm waiting for the opening of the next run.

While I'm at it, what's the minimum requirements for an Indy boot to be called an Indy, and for a Jumper to be called a Jumper? I'm leaning towards Indys having the quarter stitch and u-tip, and Jumpers have the quarter stitch and perforated cap toe? I swear I've seen examples of an Indy being called an Indy without the quarter stitch though, and the same with Jumpers. So maybe the naming is just flexible and there's no consensus on the minimums all must share, but rather only an agreement on the details they can't have?

maybe consider this from Brogue... albeit on Barrie and not Grant

jm4i

Reaction score
maybe consider this from Brogue... albeit on Barrie and not Grant

I’m aware of that one, but I already have a similar boot on Barrie and Grant is my favorite last. Thanks though

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Leisure Sunday. Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan LHS.

Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan LHS - 2020-07-12 - 1.jpg

Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan LHS - 2020-07-12 - 2.jpg

Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan LHS - 2020-07-12 - 3.jpg

Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan LHS - 2020-07-12 - 5.jpg

-Mike

Profligate47

Reaction score
A beaten up navy pair here. I am also a victim of high instep so I initially chose barrie size on any of my van loafers.
This pair ended up with some heel slip right now. One reason might be I also got a slim heel and the wide heel on van last cant hold them well. Another thing is due to the unlined design, they are easily stretched comparing to those lined loafers.
Are those Aldens? The penny strap design is different from the usual...

X_dSF

Reaction score

BAK

Reaction score
I don't really know the answer to that one. @BAK would know. I always assumed it was because Modified is an orthopedic last and only ortho-focused shops like Moulded Shoe (and a few other smaller shops peppered across the country) carry Alden's full ortho line and the factory wanted to protect those accounts. And possibly because Modified (and the other ortho lasts) require a more complex fitting process, so they don't want "dress shoe" retailers trying to deal with a proper fit in it.
Sorry for the delayed response (vacation!). You're all essentially correct to some degree. Alden is foremost concerned about consumers being properly fitted in their shoes. Modified is a very dramatically shaped last, so that if a person has the correct shaped foot that matches well with Modified there is likely nothing else that fits/feels better. However if you don't have that very specifically shaped foot then Modified will be a miserable experience. For that reason Alden limits it to those retailers with a long history of properly fitting people to Modified. The danger of not limiting it to particular retailers is having the last catch on as a fashion look (because of it's strange/interesting shape), seeing it pop up in a wide variety of retailers and then having a general Alden population that is uncomfortably wearing a shoe that was never meant for their foot.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yard work done, and I have to say that my Natty NST's that were damaged by me, and have been relegated to "work" boot status, and my 403's that were an eBay el-cheapo buy, are just about the best yard work/general work boots I have. I guess Alden does build a real work capable boot. But yard work done, so..........Color 8 jumpers from Adam
IMG_3604.jpeg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yard work done, and I have to say that my Natty NST's that were damaged by me, and have been relegated to "work" boot status, and my 403's that were an eBay el-cheapo buy, are just about the best yard work/general work boots I have. I guess Alden does build a real work capable boot. But yard work done, so..........Color 8 jumpers from Adam View attachment 1422841
Love that boot. Is that the AOC-51 on Grant?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love that boot. Is that the AOC-51 on Grant?
Nope, AoC 97 on TB, they just look slimmer than typical TB for some reason. The AoC 51's are a handsome boot however. I am not sure I have anything on grant last, I may have in the closet, but pretty much TB, Barrie, Plaza, Modified, 379 and Aberdeen. Typing this I realize, I may have a shoe/boot "problem" :)

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, AoC 97 on TB, they just look slimmer than typical TB for some reason. The AoC 51's are a handsome boot however. I am not sure I have anything on grant last, I may have in the closet, but pretty much TB, Barrie, Plaza, Modified, 379 and Aberdeen. Typing this I realize, I may have a shoe/boot "problem" :)

Do you still have your color 8 tankers from Sherman Bros? Those are grant last if I recall correctly.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are right, and I do still have them.....too many shoes/boots....not a great enough memory. I need to make a spreadsheet to keep track of stuff in the closet. Good project for next winter when it's snowy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads