• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey tankers yesterday

901AB2F3-AD47-4D44-8BE9-6970D15ADD89_1_201_a.jpeg

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone rethinking their shoe collection and wardrobe in general given a shift to more work from home? We will be going back to the office in September, and there is long-term talk of more work from home (being in the office a few days a week). In that scenario, two or three good dress shoes (black, color 8, loafer) may be all I need. Throw in some boots and bluchers for work from home days and weekends, and you have to consider if dress shoe collections need to be as large as they used to be...

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone rethinking their shoe collection and wardrobe in general given a shift to more work from home? We will be going back to the office in September, and there is long-term talk of more work from home (being in the office a few days a week). In that scenario, two or three good dress shoes (black, color 8, loafer) may be all I need. Throw in some boots and bluchers for work from home days and weekends, and you have to consider if dress shoe collections need to be as large as they used to be...
That comes down to whether the collection is strictly utilitarian or a collection of passion.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anything I want to buy more because they stay fresher longer only walking from one end of my house to the other :)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have been absolutely struggling with this dilemma. We have been told we will not go back into the office for the remainder of 2020. Wanted to pull the trigger on a new pair of oxfords yesterday, but then thought "Am I even going to wear these this year?" and thus decided against it.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got these Alden 900s for $50. They definitely need new cork but that's assumed with second hand right? One side polished one not. Another thing- have you ever seen your shoe size change with weight loss? I've lost 20 since January and am wondering if a half size change is in my mind or not?
IMG_1160.JPG

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I got these Alden 900s for $50. They definitely need new cork but that's assumed with second hand right? One side polished one not. Another thing- have you ever seen your shoe size change with weight loss? I've lost 20 since January and am wondering if a half size change is in my mind or not? View attachment 1421557
Yup. Foot size changes up and down with weight and age. Generally I'd say volume/width would be more affected by a weight change, though.
I've seen several guys on here have to change shoe sizes due to weight loss

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t motivate me to slow down. Working less just gives me more time to shop. I’m selling a few for sizing, but always in buying mode. Definitely a passion.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got these Alden 900s for $50. They definitely need new cork but that's assumed with second hand right? One side polished one not. Another thing- have you ever seen your shoe size change with weight loss? I've lost 20 since January and am wondering if a half size change is in my mind or not? View attachment 1421557
Yes, same. Didn’t expect that to happen. In addition to my alterations bill, I’ve taken a bath on several pairs of fine shoes and boots. But I have received a lot of compliments on my shapelier feet!

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t motivate me to slow down. Working less just gives me more time to shop. I’m selling a few for sizing, but always in buying mode. Definitely a passion.
I think everyone needs to dress better all the time. Of course, you only need what you need but make the effort. It's for the good of all.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most likely not in your head. Have had to redo 80% of my shoe collection due to a 20lb weight loss and losing a half size. I think it can impact foot volume a bit as well.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, same. Didn’t expect that to happen. In addition to my alterations bill, I’ve taken a bath on several pairs of fine shoes and boots. But I have received a lot of compliments on my shapelier feet!
I'm surprised too. Coat and pants as well. Good problem to have. (read The Obesity Code if you need to lose)

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think everyone needs to dress better all the time. Of course, you only need what you need but make the effort. It's for the good of all.
I'm surprised too. Coat and pants as well. Good problem to have. (read The Obesity Code if you need to lose)

I have very strong minimalist aspirations but with Alden, hey, let’s face it, I know when I’m beat. With weight loss though, my goal is to lose enough so that I don’t have to do sit-ups anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads