• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cornish game hens on the grill, time to relax while the little things cook
IMG_3448.jpeg
IMG_3450.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with your Barrie/TB size. My feet are relatively flat and this is one of my favorite lasts. Good luck. ?

That is what I've heard with sizing, thank you!

How flat are your feet? Both flat? Can you wear Hampton, which is a fairly tall last or is it too tall for you?

Thanks!!

Cornish game hens on the grill, time to relax while the little things cook View attachment 1418841 View attachment 1418842

Lovely color 8? What makeup/last is that?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How flat are your feet? Both flat? Can you wear Hampton, which is a fairly tall last or is it too tall for you?

Thanks!!

It's a sun faded Brogue boot, TB last, foxing on ankle. I don't remember what Mack named the model. But color 8, Commando, foxing. This pair that I have on even has Horween stamps on inside of tongues.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks!!

In response to your query as to flat feet, mine are statistically "normal" and I can wear darn near any Alden last in essentially the same size. Maybe they aren't normal, as Podiatrist once told me "Your feet are odd" this was following a discussion of footwear and lasts (he wears Alden and AE)

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calling those of you who have experience with the Modified last:

How does it fit? Barrie/Trubal sizing? Love it, hate it? It looks really interesting to me. Tell me more about it!

Modified, more than probably any other Alden last, is one you'll likely just need to bite the bullet and try. Due to its shape and arch support, your feet will either be in heaven wearing it or it will be immediately apparent that it's just not going to work for your feet. I found the heel and arch support to be very comfortable but the toebox has a fairly sharp swing that didn't really agree with my feet (I generally need more pinky toe room).

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modified, more than probably any other Alden last, is one you'll likely just need to bite the bullet and try. Due to its shape and arch support, your feet will either be in heaven wearing it or it will be immediately apparent that it's just not going to work for your feet. I found the heel and arch support to be very comfortable but the toebox has a fairly sharp swing that didn't really agree with my feet (I generally need more pinky toe room).
I had the exact same experience. I LOVED the arch support as someone who had had plantar fasciitis but the turn of the toe box crushed my pinkie against the side. Strange fit.

X_dSF

Reaction score
Calling those of you who have experience with the Modified last:

How does it fit? Barrie/Trubal sizing? Love it, hate it? It looks really interesting to me. Tell me more about it!
Personally found modified have the largest toebox, even larger than trubalance. I quickly fell in love with its shape and its fitting from waist to heel. Would say definitely worth a try.

In addition, the moulded nyc showed a nice pic explained how modified fit comparing to another "footbalance program" last trubalance. (although it doesn't explained your question about the instep)
comparo.jpg

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a sun faded Brogue boot, TB last, foxing on ankle. I don't remember what Mack named the model. But color 8, Commando, foxing. This pair that I have on even has Horween stamps on inside of tongues.

Nice looking boot! I need more TB in my life.

In response to your query as to flat feet, mine are statistically "normal" and I can wear darn near any Alden last in essentially the same size. Maybe they aren't normal, as Podiatrist once told me "Your feet are odd" this was following a discussion of footwear and lasts (he wears Alden and AE)

Haha, well good to know your doc thinks you have odd feet! Interesting about your Alden sizing being the same.

Thanks for the advice.

Your new profile pic is a hilarious classic! I didn't know who you were until I looked at your name and reacquainted myself so that Vocans is now American Psycho. :)

It's looking that way, my friend! Thanks for the advice!!

Personally found modified have the largest toebox, even larger than trubalance. I quickly fell in love with its shape and its fitting from waist to heel. Would say definitely worth a try.

In addition, the moulded nyc showed a nice pic explained how modified fit comparing to another "footbalance program" last trubalance. (although it doesn't explained your question about the instep) View attachment 1418888

That photo is very helpful and the explanation of toebox room is good, thank you! I think I may have to just try it!

Resipsaloquitor

Reaction score
It's tough for everyone these days -- hang in there. 25 years ago I graduated from a (very, very good) law school with no job. As a result, I never got on the usual "career track" -- white-shoe law firm, followed by another large firm or an in-house counsel job with a large company. So I had to cobble a career together, piece by piece. Underemployment, unemployment, temporary work, part-time work, solo practice, small law firms, medium-sized firms, etc. -- I've seen it all and have represented everyone from billionaire moguls to crazy cat ladies.

What I learned from this experience is two things that are directly applicable to your situation. First, there is always work out there. It might be distasteful. It might not pay well. There might not be opportunities for advancement. It might be temporary. But it's work, and it pays. You've just got to hustle (let it be known that you're looking for work) and do your very best on all of the work that you get, no matter how menial and uninteresting. When you do this, more work will find its way to you. And to anticipate your question, yes -- you will get BETTER and more remunerative work over time. That's certainly been the case with me. I started out at the absolute bottom and now I have an enviable client list. It took a long time and wasn't easy, but in the end it all worked out.

I realize that even the world "hustle" sounds distasteful. But all it means is that you are eager to work, and actively seeking work. There's no shame in that -- it's a good thing. And in my experience, people who hustle find work. In fact, I've never seen it fail.

If you are on a career track -- and it sounds like you are -- you'll get back on it eventually, when companies start hiring again. In the meantime, you can stay sharp and maintain your work-related social skills.

Second, the easiest way to help yourself is to not get discouraged. I realize this sounds impossible -- you're out of work and have no money, of course you're discouraged! Well, sure. But you have to master that emotion. Staying positive is important. If you're depressed you won't' get out of bed until noon -- and that's not going to help you get ahead. So you've got to be optimistic and positive, even if it's hard or seems like you're faking it at first. A lot of people scoff at self-help books, but in my experience they are extremely valuable and very helpful. I purchased a set of the Tony Robbins CD's about 15 years ago and honestly -- they're fantastic. He's the quintessential Boomer self-promoter but whatever. His books really helped me. Your biggest challenge is staying optimistic and Robbins and the other self-help guys can with that, a lot. You really will be a LOT more productive if you listen to their stuff and implement their suggestions. And being more productive will help you now, and later on when you find a good job again.
Wow Mr. Schmoe that was SOOO encouraging I had to cut and paste to a friend. He has his spiritual encouragement from the Bible and friends; but your words were so kind and helpful. Patrick keep looking forward and remember things ARE going to get better. Res

jet lagged

Reaction score
Peppercorn, Don't get discouraged. Since 1995, independent consultant to biotech CEOs on international deals; Known as the "Japan Guy" for doing deals but never thought of as full-time material. Some years 250K, others 60K. Finally in 2013, a two person company hires me to do some deals on a one year contract. Within months, I get them $27MM cash in the bank, and they say, "Great, we can do that ourselves now that people know who we are. You can leave now" - the day before my bonus and stock was to be paid....That was the same day I went to my first Styleforum meetup in San Francisco; trying not to cry while meeting really nice people and knowing I can only talk about what I did in the past.

Since then, again independent -doing Japan work for CEOs but the cost of living conservatively in the Bay Area was higher than my income. One hybrid car, public school for kid, camping trips only, and no airplane vacations.

In Styleforum speak: Between 2005-2010- commuting to Japan and spending at least $10K a year on Isaia suits, Santoni shoes, Panerai and Grand Seiko watches, etc. Then 2014 - Bay Area with a kid, **** apartment, and less than the cost of a sale suit literally left in the bank.

2015-2020- Plenty of clients but all of them fail their clinical trials so no deals. From 2015 until last month, only one clothing purchase- one pair of Momotaro jeans for $220. Waited 5 years to get new a new eyeglass prescription filled, as it was too expensive, and had to put it on a a credit card .

This year- March 16- trip to Boston to get 6 month project for hedge fund to take care of Japan problem ($180K plus all expenses) cancelled as they can't see me in person in Boston beforehand- as the lockdown started the day of my flight.

March 23rd...1st interview for Bay Area biotech job. 11 interviews (all on Zoom) and 8 one- hour reference checks later on April 20- get a full time job offer as CBO for a 50 person biotech. The offer was for more than I asked. In the middle of a ******* economic depression, at 50+, I finally get a job that was the one that I had pictured myself getting in 1991, when I graduated business school. I like the company, they like me, hope it lasts.

DON'T GIVE UP. People want to be around sincere, good guys.

Back to pontificating......From 1997 in Australia, 2000-2004 in Tokyo, 2005-2011 in Tokyo and Boston, and 2011-2020 in the Bay Area; whenever I was not on the clock, doing other people's **** in Japan, I was making up to 30 calls a week to CEOs and high-level biotech people, stating how I can be helpful and asking for work. It seriously sucked making the calls but I didn't stop. I would get 2-4 projects a year, eek out a living, had a great reputation- but no full-time work or dependable income - until last month I literally had to wait to get paid trip to Japan to go to the doctor as medical care there is cheap.

When I was back home in the US, I would cry at the end of the day 2-3 times a month after seeing or talking to people who had no talent, or were indicted for corruption, or had made big professional mistakes, pulling $350-800K per year at biotech companies I wanted to join, knowing I could do a much better job than they did while I could just barely pay my bills, not afford clothes, or eyeglasses, or local medical care.

This is not urban myth ****- you will do OK...you might be taking a pause but DONT GIVE UP.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fascinating to hear people’s stories, I guess I ended up with a different take. I graduated college in 2006, got a job and a mortgage, and had to rebuild after the recession hit a few years later. I’m a new homeowner again with a family and in a financial situation I could never have imagined a decade ago, but the lesson I learned was that my happiness couldn’t come from a house, or a career, or even *gasp* a pair of shoes.

I realized that my friends who didn’t take that hit and are better off now arn’t any happier, because stuff, titles, positions don’t bring happiness. They can’t because they are bottomless and unending. I guess I became a bit of a Buddhist.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4402725F-FD0E-40EE-AA8A-A1FC259E96BC.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads