• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
102675FB-0F4A-46F7-AF00-53C4228EB7D1.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's tough for everyone these days -- hang in there. 25 years ago I graduated from a (very, very good) law school with no job. As a result, I never got on the usual "career track" -- white-shoe law firm, followed by another large firm or an in-house counsel job with a large company. So I had to cobble a career together, piece by piece. Underemployment, unemployment, temporary work, part-time work, solo practice, small law firms, medium-sized firms, etc. -- I've seen it all and have represented everyone from billionaire moguls to crazy cat ladies.

What I learned from this experience is two things that are directly applicable to your situation. First, there is always work out there. It might be distasteful. It might not pay well. There might not be opportunities for advancement. It might be temporary. But it's work, and it pays. You've just got to hustle (let it be known that you're looking for work) and do your very best on all of the work that you get, no matter how menial and uninteresting. When you do this, more work will find its way to you. And to anticipate your question, yes -- you will get BETTER and more remunerative work over time. That's certainly been the case with me. I started out at the absolute bottom and now I have an enviable client list. It took a long time and wasn't easy, but in the end it all worked out.

I realize that even the world "hustle" sounds distasteful. But all it means is that you are eager to work, and actively seeking work. There's no shame in that -- it's a good thing. And in my experience, people who hustle find work. In fact, I've never seen it fail.

If you are on a career track -- and it sounds like you are -- you'll get back on it eventually, when companies start hiring again. In the meantime, you can stay sharp and maintain your work-related social skills.

Second, the easiest way to help yourself is to not get discouraged. I realize this sounds impossible -- you're out of work and have no money, of course you're discouraged! Well, sure. But you have to master that emotion. Staying positive is important. If you're depressed you won't' get out of bed until noon -- and that's not going to help you get ahead. So you've got to be optimistic and positive, even if it's hard or seems like you're faking it at first. A lot of people scoff at self-help books, but in my experience they are extremely valuable and very helpful. I purchased a set of the Tony Robbins CD's about 15 years ago and honestly -- they're fantastic. He's the quintessential Boomer self-promoter but whatever. His books really helped me. Your biggest challenge is staying optimistic and Robbins and the other self-help guys can with that, a lot. You really will be a LOT more productive if you listen to their stuff and implement their suggestions. And being more productive will help you now, and later on when you find a good job again.
One of the best posts here in quite a while, bravo!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calling those of you who have experience with the Modified last:

How does it fit? Barrie/Trubal sizing? Love it, hate it? It looks really interesting to me. Tell me more about it!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How does it fit? Barrie/Trubal sizing? Love it, hate it? It looks really interesting to me. Tell me more about it!
I have a couple pair of boots in modified, went with same size as Barrie. I like the way it fits heel/arch and toes. Here is a great little video about it:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple pair of boots in modified, went with same size as Barrie. I like the way it fits heel/arch and toes. Here is a great little video about it:

Thank you kind sir! Should've known in that deep closet you would have an item or two to help out a fellow!

I have one flattish foot and the other is normal. He mentions too much support for flat feet... Hmm, I don't know if this would bother me or not.

It reminds me in some ways of the Snap last with its very narrow waist and large toebox (although Modified is much more bulbous).

SRV

Reaction score
It's tough for everyone these days -- hang in there. 25 years ago I graduated from a (very, very good) law school with no job. As a result, I never got on the usual "career track" -- white-shoe law firm, followed by another large firm or an in-house counsel job with a large company. So I had to cobble a career together, piece by piece. Underemployment, unemployment, temporary work, part-time work, solo practice, small law firms, medium-sized firms, etc. -- I've seen it all and have represented everyone from billionaire moguls to crazy cat ladies.

What I learned from this experience is two things that are directly applicable to your situation. First, there is always work out there. It might be distasteful. It might not pay well. There might not be opportunities for advancement. It might be temporary. But it's work, and it pays. You've just got to hustle (let it be known that you're looking for work) and do your very best on all of the work that you get, no matter how menial and uninteresting. When you do this, more work will find its way to you. And to anticipate your question, yes -- you will get BETTER and more remunerative work over time. That's certainly been the case with me. I started out at the absolute bottom and now I have an enviable client list. It took a long time and wasn't easy, but in the end it all worked out.

I realize that even the world "hustle" sounds distasteful. But all it means is that you are eager to work, and actively seeking work. There's no shame in that -- it's a good thing. And in my experience, people who hustle find work. In fact, I've never seen it fail.

If you are on a career track -- and it sounds like you are -- you'll get back on it eventually, when companies start hiring again. In the meantime, you can stay sharp and maintain your work-related social skills.

Second, the easiest way to help yourself is to not get discouraged. I realize this sounds impossible -- you're out of work and have no money, of course you're discouraged! Well, sure. But you have to master that emotion. Staying positive is important. If you're depressed you won't' get out of bed until noon -- and that's not going to help you get ahead. So you've got to be optimistic and positive, even if it's hard or seems like you're faking it at first. A lot of people scoff at self-help books, but in my experience they are extremely valuable and very helpful. I purchased a set of the Tony Robbins CD's about 15 years ago and honestly -- they're fantastic. He's the quintessential Boomer self-promoter but whatever. His books really helped me. Your biggest challenge is staying optimistic and Robbins and the other self-help guys can with that, a lot. You really will be a LOT more productive if you listen to their stuff and implement their suggestions. And being more productive will help you now, and later on when you find a good job again.

Thanks for a very thoughtful, empathetic and helpful post.

Posts like this and people like you make this such a gracious forum! Thank you, Sir!

shoetree

Reaction score

Go with your Barrie/TB size. My feet are relatively flat and this is one of my favorite lasts. Good luck. ?

AJ1

Reaction score
in the same boat. It’s so challenging and often times feel like a terrible parent putting my son in front of the tv so I can get work done. Doesn’t help a lot of people I work with don’t have kids and can work non stop.

Stay strong, it really is brutal out there. As a dad with a 13 month old, where both my wife and I are trying to work full time from home while being sole child care, it’s important to acknowledge that 1) these times are not normal and 2) it’s ok to be struggling, at wits ends, wondering how to get through it all.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in the same boat. It’s so challenging and often times feel like a terrible parent putting my son in front of the tv so I can get work done. Doesn’t help a lot of people I work with don’t have kids and can work non stop.
During the Illinois lockdown, we had the granddaughter (4 yrs old) every day through the week. We are both retired, but I found I had to use Puppy Dog Pals and other shows, as I can no longer keep up with a 4 yr old all day, every day. Too damn much energy........there is a reason we have kids in our 20's-30's :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for a very thoughtful, empathetic and helpful post.

Posts like this and people like you make this such a gracious forum! Thank you, Sir!
of all the forums I follow on SF, I would have to say that the Alden thread is the most civil and gracious. You guys are the bomb (as the saying goes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads