• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_2062.jpg
IMG_2063.jpg

This is my custom wallet from Chester Mox. They used to be a sponsor here. Check out their website. Everything is made custom by hand by a former Hermes leather worker who owns the company. She's very good with communication. Mine is Italian brown shell, although she has Horween as well as an option. The inside is tangerine goat. Lots of shapes and sizes of wallets available, all MTO with thread choices, color choices, leather choices, etc.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that every Alden, with the exception of the old Cape Cod Collection, which was not made at the Alden Massachusetts factory, has a Steel Shank.

I have tried to pitch the idea to Alden of doing a "Travelers Shoe", because, particularly 4-5 years ago or so, I was flying like every other week, but the idea didn't really stick too much.

-Mike

Thanks for answering my curiosity Mike. I switched up my morning walking shoes (AnothEr brand) for the Rangers today and was really appreciating the steel shank! In fact, I just ordered a pair of 5730S Kudu lugged loafers as my new daily drivers.

But I had remembered seeing an Alden shoe demo video where it was being flexed pretty hard and I wondered if all of them carried the steel shank. It’s good to know they do. I do however think a shankless travelers shoe would be popular enough for one of the retailers to complete a special run and more, but I bet the factory is reluctant to change up production and part with such an integral part of their persona.

nbernie

Reaction score
Does anyone know of make ups that have been done in reverse chamois that’s not tobacco or earth? Seems from Alden model project that green has been done?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of make ups that have been done in reverse chamois that’s not tobacco or earth? Seems from Alden model project that green has been done?

They used to have both hunting green reverse and navy reverse. Both are no longer available.

BAK

Reaction score
Happy Saturday forum pals. Back in 2018, I wanted a NST that fit my odd feet. I also really liked Scotch grain, commando and I wanted something other than the Barrie last that would come in EEE. After voicing my wish list, @BAK told me La Rossa was starting to do make ups and had something very close to that in the works. I was able to jump onto that order at the last minute and I felt this was great news as the order would go in, and I would actually receive my shoes in short order. This was not to be for assorted reasons and they finally just arrived. They fit like my other Hampton lasted shoes, which was nice. The other Hampton shoes are bals and close nicely on my high instep. These Hampton bluchers also close nicely with just the right amount of opening for my eye. Not too large nor too small. I feel it has a sleeker look than the Barrie last shoes I have in the same size. Any sleekness is likely in my imagination given I am EEE. The commando is comfortable and feels like all other commandos I wear. In short, I am very pleased. They look and fit great and I hope LaRossa continues to carry this style. It appears they currently carry 8-12 in D width. Link.

View attachment 1405248
They look great, Steve. Hopefully they were worth the wait! Enjoy, and wear them in good health.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They look great, Steve. Hopefully they were worth the wait! Enjoy, and wear them in good health.

Thanks. They were worth the wait and I recommend them highly. A nice change from Barrie For me.

Reactions: BAK

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Saturday forum pals. Back in 2018, I wanted a NST that fit my odd feet. I also really liked Scotch grain, commando and I wanted something other than the Barrie last that would come in EEE. After voicing my wish list, @BAK told me La Rossa was starting to do make ups and had something very close to that in the works. I was able to jump onto that order at the last minute and I felt this was great news as the order would go in, and I would actually receive my shoes in short order. This was not to be for assorted reasons and they finally just arrived. They fit like my other Hampton lasted shoes, which was nice. The other Hampton shoes are bals and close nicely on my high instep. These Hampton bluchers also close nicely with just the right amount of opening for my eye. Not too large nor too small. I feel it has a sleeker look than the Barrie last shoes I have in the same size. Any sleekness is likely in my imagination given I am EEE. The commando is comfortable and feels like all other commandos I wear. In short, I am very pleased. They look and fit great and I hope LaRossa continues to carry this style. It appears they currently carry 8-12 in D width. Link.

View attachment 1405248
Those are nice, and the wait might just set a record for a pre-order :) Wear them in good health!

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
On the Wallet topic, I frankly always carried around bigger wallets with plenty of storage, such as the Johnny the Fox. However, I found that instead of keeping anything that I really needed, I tended to "store" receipts in my wallet. So I switched to Alden's Card Case and just carry my ID plus 4 Credit Cards and some folded cash on me. I have no plans to change from that strategy. I love the Johnny the Foxes, and somehow have bought more, because I love how it showcases the leather, but am still using my Color #8 Alden Card Case.

ALDEN-MINI-CARD-CASE-COLOR-8-SHELL-CORDOVAN_X1_1e47c14a-52d7-4edf-8044-37b717048160_2048x.jpg

I did purchase and do plan to someday replace it with this Amaretto from Ashland via Ealdwine.

View attachment 1405268

I also have this beautiful Marbled Black Wallet.

View attachment 1405269

-Mike
All look like great choices Mike! The black marbled is stunning

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the Wallet topic, I frankly always carried around bigger wallets with plenty of storage, such as the Johnny the Fox. However, I found that instead of keeping anything that I really needed, I tended to "store" receipts in my wallet. So I switched to Alden's Card Case and just carry my ID plus 4 Credit Cards and some folded cash on me. I have no plans to change from that strategy. I love the Johnny the Foxes, and somehow have bought more, because I love how it showcases the leather, but am still using my Color #8 Alden Card Case.

ALDEN-MINI-CARD-CASE-COLOR-8-SHELL-CORDOVAN_X1_1e47c14a-52d7-4edf-8044-37b717048160_2048x.jpg

I did purchase and do plan to someday replace it with this Amaretto from Ashland via Ealdwine.

View attachment 1405268

I also have this beautiful Marbled Black Wallet.

View attachment 1405269

-Mike
Your post had me "analyze" my current wallet/setup, I came to realize that I carry more than I really need to. Paring it down to debit card, one credit card, ID and medical ID cards and I'm thinking that a Johnny the Fox would be the thing as I'm a front pocket guy, so might have to order one.

nbernie

Reaction score
They used to have both hunting green reverse and navy reverse. Both are no longer available.
do you know if it’s that the leather is discontinued, or just no one has done a makeup? seems like Viberg has done a “wheat” reverse too - that looks interesting

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you know if it’s that the leather is discontinued, or just no one has done a makeup? seems like Viberg has done a “wheat” reverse too - that looks interesting

Alden has no more of the leather with no plans, to my knowledge, of ordering more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics