• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What brush and spray do you guys recommend for suede?

Also can someone explain the difference between scotch grain and alpine grain? I see a few models in each that I really like.

Thanks!

I believe the difference is in the size and pattern of the embossed grain. Scotch grain is much larger, such as this one.

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 7.07.37 AM.png

Alpine grain is much finer.

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 7.08.51 AM.png

xghostsniperx

Reaction score
New to me Alden x Need Supply Davis PTBin Snuff Suede. Bought pre-owned on Grailed for $170 (if it was any of you kind souls, thank you!). Looked like they had 1-2 wears at most based on the minimal sole wear.

Attachments

• 9DBEC351-ABE1-4F9A-8A66-6A9D16204FDA.jpeg
    9DBEC351-ABE1-4F9A-8A66-6A9D16204FDA.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 96A449C4-E80C-4247-B975-931EF199CEF8.jpeg
    96A449C4-E80C-4247-B975-931EF199CEF8.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 28

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
#8 plain toe boots for some Sunday errands.

IMG_8795.jpg

lcdx22

Reaction score
I believe the difference is in the size and pattern of the embossed grain. Scotch grain is much larger, such as this one.

View attachment 1401621

Alpine grain is much finer.

View attachment 1401622

Other than the grain difference there is nothing else in terms of the leather? Are these just stamped with a different pattern basically?

Sorry if question seem dumb lol. Just don't really know much about either.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Alpine grain seems to have a plasticier shinier sheen than scotch grain. However I base this upon a sample size of one pair of alpine grain.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Other than the grain difference there is nothing else in terms of the leather? Are these just stamped with a different pattern basically?

Sorry if question seem dumb lol. Just don't really know much about either.

They are embossed differently for sure. The practical difference is less certain. I think one would have to get in a great deal of wear with both to appreciate a difference if there is one.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Full Strap for late afternoon/early evening relaxing, still looking for no show socks that will NOT bunch up under my heel, if anyone knows of a really, really good brand.... View attachment 1401869
Thirty48 work fine, though they sit very low on the heel and their band leaves marks on my feet. These were recommended by @Misterg12 a few summers ago
I personally prefer my Sheec pair, as they don't dig into the top of my foot. That said, I do position then higher on my heel and further down my foot so that they stay better. As long as it's not a pair with heel slip, they stay on well.
... Certainly the few hours before you would change shoes. ;p

I also have a rando pair from a bow tie place (came with an order) that work fine.

Also of note, my no shows are the only "dress" socks I put in dryer; the heat seems to help keep the heel grips tacky.

I believe ALL no show socks are a compromise, and occasionally having to pull them up if worn all day is just going to happen.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thirty48 work fine, though they sit very low on the heel and their band leaves marks on my feet. These were recommended my @Misterg12 a few summers ago
I personally prefer my Sheec pair, as they don't dig into the top of my foot. That said, I do position then higher on my heel and further down my foot so that they stay better. As long as it's not a pair with heel slip, they stay on well.
... Certainly the few hours before you would change shoes. ;p

I also have a rando pair from a bow tie place (came with an order) that work fine.

Also of note, my no shows are the only "dress" socks I put in dryer; the heat seems to help keep the heel grips tacky.
Slight bit of heel slip on the full strap, right shoe only, and I think that is the cause of the problem. Currently have some AE branded (who knows real manufacturer) so will try some of the Thirty48. I actually have no problem going sans-socks with loafers, but want to keep the interiors looking "new" as long as possible :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics