• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcdx22

Reaction score
If you go wider, the heel gets wider. The forefoot gets wider too, but since you stayed shorter the vamp goes further up on your foot. This may help keep the front part of the shoe tight enough to make up for the slightly looser heel. Going longer generally gives me a tighter heel, but in some instances can push the vamp far enough down my foot that I get excessive volume there and need a tongue pad.
This is a big issue with me on loafers because generally it's my pinkie toes that have a lot of say in my final size. With loafers, I prioritize heels fitting, then vamp, then toes generally. If I can achieve all three being happy at once, it's a favorite last! A loose heel is hardest to correct for me if it doesn't stop slipping after break in. A heel pad pushes your foot forward, effectively shortening the length by a size...that seems like a self defeat. If everything is good but vamp, I add a tongue pad. If my pinkie toes are still crunched, but only just, then I will do a forefoot stretch. I also have a pinkie clearance technique where I insert a pen on the outside of my shoe tree, kind of like a giant bunion bump on a stretcher. That stretches the shoe just at the toes where I need it.

TL/DR - I generally will go longer over wider on loafers to keep heel tight and get toes further back out of the taper.

A bit of a ramble, but hopefully you can see my size trial thought process and take something from it. :p

Haha sounds just like my thoughts as I go about this. This is helpful. I think I'll start with half size up to keep the heel tighter and go from there.

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
Does anyone have these PTBs from Need Supply in Snuff or Milkshake? The Vibram-ish sole and eyelets make them look super unique and I'm interested in them for a spring/summer/fall casual shoe. The sale is pretty good, and even if I hated the sole I could always resole with dainite or something and still come out under retail for a PTB.

Don't have that shoe, but I do have 3 pairs of boots with that sole on them. The sole is definitely a very casual look but if you are okay with the look they are very comfortable and lightweight. Mine have been holding up nicely as well, so if you are good with the casual look I would go for them, $388 is a great price.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TSM Seconds Plain toe suede boots on plantation crepe sole. The suede is "goofed" on the toes, lighter in color and not the right nap, so they are beater boots. I thought about trying to sell them, but they are good knocking around boots.
IMG_2840.jpeg

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friends of Alden!

I'd like to ask your thoughts on this pair of shell Indys. I just picked these up from Brogue. How does the handsewn moc top look to those who own shell Indys? Referencing the off-centered stitching on the right boot. To state up front, this will be my first pair of Aldens, so I wanted to ask those with experience if this is pretty much par for the course.

Also, yes, sizing via the mail was a pain. I should have taken all your advice from the get-go and booked a flight (pre-covid, of course) and got sized properly at a shop... But anyways, here we are.

IMG_2852.JPG

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ very common issue with Indy boots. I've had it happen several times. Sometimes it affects the fit a bit, sometimes it does not. I have had retailers offer a partial refund or return for it, others have said it's normal.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Friends of Alden!

I'd like to ask your thoughts on this pair of shell Indys. I just picked these up from Brogue. How does the handsewn moc top look to those who own shell Indys? Referencing the off-centered stitching on the right boot. To state up front, this will be my first pair of Aldens, so I wanted to ask those with experience if this is pretty much par for the course.

Also, yes, sizing via the mail was a pain. I should have taken all your advice from the get-go and booked a flight (pre-covid, of course) and got sized properly at a shop... But anyways, here we are.

View attachment 1400533
View attachment 1400534
View attachment 1400535
View attachment 1400536
As @JSO1 said, not uncommon with Indy's, I'd call the retailer (Mack) and see if an adjustment could be done, and keep them. If not, return for another pair? Which, of course may have the same issue. But that IS JUST MY OPINION.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okay good to know. Mack did not hesitate to accept a return, but no other pairs are available unfortunately in my size.

I'm debating on them because 1) I really like to build 2) can't find any other issue with them.

But at the same time, it may drive me nuts in time? I'm not sure. Maybe the folds would make it less noticable?

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had 3 pairs of Indy boots. Not shell, but none were all that close to perfect. Oh well.

I can certainly understand wanting it closer to perfect for $800+ boots.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
okay good to know. Mack did not hesitate to accept a return, but no other pairs are available unfortunately in my size.

I'm debating on them because 1) I really like to build 2) can't find any other issue with them.

But at the same time, it may drive me nuts in time? I'm not sure. Maybe the folds would make it less noticable?
My plaza snuff Indys are shifted inward like the right boot. I've learned to just not worry about it, but I do notice it being a bit off.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oh, you will always notice it, no one outside of this forum will. 99.9% of the people out there wouldn't even know they are shell, let alone have an issue. So it's your decision as to how much it will bother you, and if a return is warranted.

serbarristan

Reaction score

It would be hard to give back the Daybreakers, love the flat welt and brass combo.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the root cause of it is the quarters not being stitched level on both sides (if you look at the moc stitching you'll notice the ends generally meet where the quarters are attached). With that being said, maybe I'm just unlucky but the majority of my handsewns have something similar and I bet if I expanded it beyond handsewns I'd see something similar with the quarters on my other pairs. Obviously not ideal, though I've generally let it go myself but of course they're your boots and you ultimately need to be happy with them.

Last edited:

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friends of Alden!

View attachment 1400533
View attachment 1400534
View attachment 1400535
View attachment 1400536
Sorry to hear about and see your boots. I’m generally a positive and upbeat guy, but those are a deal-breaker for me regardless of whether or not I could get an immediate replacement.

That obviously wonky and asymmetrical appearance would drive me crazy every time I look down at them.

People on the forum have heard me rant before about how terrible I think the hand-sewn Indy tends to appear in comparison to U-tips. I also believe they should revert to machine-sewn.

Somehow the wonderful and talented hand-stitch employees seem to make a proper mess of the cordovan Indys. Off-centered, oblong, skinny, wide, fore-shortened...it’s like they can’t make up their minds how to stitch them so they stitch each boot just different enough for it to look strange. Who knows - perhaps it’s not the hand-stitch employees and has more to do with how the uppers are aligned before they are attached to the soles.

I don’t mean to deliberately disparage the skilled workers at Alden. I truly don’t. They produce beautiful footwear that I greatly enjoy. I’m a huge Alden fan, a huge Indy fan, and a huge cordovan Indy fan, but I would never be able to unsee that.

Just one man’s humble and totally biased opinion. Your opinion is the one that matters most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads