• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but when I asked about width the answers I got in my case were a 9D and an 8.5E were the same width equivalent. I found that when I tried those on they were similarly floppy, I didn’t sense an overwhelming improvement with the heel. That said, if your heel is locked at this width it’s worth a try.

What actually clicked for me was trying on the 9C (one half down from my TTS 9.5C on Aberdeen and an AE cap toe) and feeling like the width was right but also too many toes touching the end of the shoe. So I got more room by thinking that if the 8.5E is the same width as the 9D, maybe the 9.5B is the same as the 9C and gives me a little more room.

based purely on my experience I’d try down half out one width, as well as up one length same width?

I know that in the Aberdeen last on my suede tassel loafers, because of the low vamp, I wear an 8E instead of my normal TTS 8.5 D in laced shoes. They keep me more contained and aren't too tight on the toes. For reference, I wear an 8D for Trubalance, down a half size, but not a change in width.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could be wrong but when I asked about width the answers I got in my case were a 9D and an 8.5E were the same width equivalent. I found that when I tried those on they were similarly floppy, I didn’t sense an overwhelming improvement with the heel. That said, if your heel is locked at this width it’s worth a try.

What actually clicked for me was trying on the 9C (one half down from my TTS 9.5C on Aberdeen and an AE cap toe) and feeling like the width was right but also too many toes touching the end of the shoe. So I got more room by thinking that if the 8.5E is the same width as the 9D, maybe the 9.5B is the same as the 9C and gives me a little more room.

based purely on my experience I’d try down half out one width, as well as up one length same width?
9D would be half a width narrower than 8.5E. The total volume is admittedly pretty close but distributed differently. Some people can make either size work, but generally one is a bit too narrow or a bit to wide.
It takes a full size change to get the equivalent width increase, so a 9E would have the same circumference as 10D.

lcdx22

Reaction score
9D would be half a width narrower than 8.5E. The total volume is admittedly pretty close but distributed differently. Some people can make either size work, but generally one is a bit too narrow or a bit to wide.
It takes a full size change to get the equivalent width increase, so a 9E would have the same circumference as 10D.

This is the relationship I was trying to figure out. So in my case in terms of increasing width it's 12.5D -> 13D -> 12.5E

I wonder than if going to 13D would work better and just pull my foot back into the wider part of the toe box and have least impact in the heel. Or they end up too long.

Do you find width or length has more impact on heel fit in this situation?

If only they made B/E sizing :)

Apologies to everyone if the questions are annoying just trying to minimize the number of returns going back and forth trying this on.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is the relationship I was trying to figure out. So in my case in terms of increasing width it's 12.5D -> 13D -> 12.5E

I wonder than if going to 13D would work better and just pull my foot back into the wider part of the toe box and have least impact in the heel. Or they end up too long.

Do you find width or length has more impact on heel fit in this situation?

If only they made B/E sizing :)

Apologies to everyone if the questions are annoying just trying to minimize the number of returns going back and forth trying this on.
If you go wider, the heel gets wider. The forefoot gets wider too, but since you stayed shorter the vamp goes further up on your foot. This may help keep the front part of the shoe tight enough to make up for the slightly looser heel. Going longer generally gives me a tighter heel, but in some instances can push the vamp far enough down my foot that I get excessive volume there and need a tongue pad.
This is a big issue with me on loafers because generally it's my pinkie toes that have a lot of say in my final size. With loafers, I prioritize heels fitting, then vamp, then toes generally. If I can achieve all three being happy at once, it's a favorite last! A loose heel is hardest to correct for me if it doesn't stop slipping after break in. A heel pad pushes your foot forward, effectively shortening the length by a size...that seems like a self defeat. If everything is good but vamp, I add a tongue pad. If my pinkie toes are still crunched, but only just, then I will do a forefoot stretch. I also have a pinkie clearance technique where I insert a pen on the outside of my shoe tree, kind of like a giant bunion bump on a stretcher. That stretches the shoe just at the toes where I need it.

TL/DR - I generally will go longer over wider on loafers to keep heel tight and get toes further back out of the taper.

A bit of a ramble, but hopefully you can see my size trial thought process and take something from it. :p

Last edited:

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Natty Indys today

20200604_091910.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rusticalf-
found this on a thread on SF from 2013

That leather is unglazed burnishable calf and named Vegano by Annonay. Vegano is burnished/antiqued by shoemakers. Vegano is softer than glazed leather because glazed leather becomes harder under heavy pressure. Rusticalf (named by Annonay) is milled in a drum and softer than Vegano. http://www.tannerie-annonay.fr/en/contenu-produits.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads