• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Always like seeing your evening pics with the inclusion of a glass of wine!
Thanks, and I like taking them, sometimes have to go through 4 or 5 glasses to get the "mood" just right :) But on an different note, I have found this size/last to be about the perfect sans-socks loafer for me. I am even considering selling all of my GS loafers as these Aberdeens just fit so well. I should give a shoutout to @Misterg12, who gave me advice on sizing.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always like seeing your evening pics with the inclusion of a glass of wine!
Thanks, and I like taking them, sometimes have to go through 4 or 5 glasses to get the "mood" just right :) But on an different note, I have found this size/last to be about the perfect sans-socks loafer for me. I am even considering selling all of my GS loafers as these Aberdeens just fit so well. I should give a shoutout to @Misterg12, who gave me advice on sizing.

Add my voice to this. Your evening pic's are always enjoyable. Evening pic's with the dog are absolutely next level.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Add my voice to this. Your evening pic's are always enjoyable. Evening pic's with the dog are absolutely next level.
Thank you all, I just take pictures of my shoes....it's my only hobby (except for the vegetable garden/fishing and entertaining the granddaughter ) If I could take decent photos, I'd be happy, but so many here far exceed my capabilities, I am often humbled by them.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you size those compared to the Travelers? I've never owned tassels, but every time I see those I think twice.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How did you size those compared to the Travelers? I've never owned tassels, but every time I see those I think twice.
I wound up in the same size as the Tavelers, I tried the Aberdeen in a different size and felt like I was swimming, so talked to Matt at Ealdwine and we decided to try 8.5 D's and darn if they didn't work out just fine. Can wear thin socks or no-shows, thick socks would not be a go however.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I'm out watering my tomatoes and other vegetables this evening, wearing the Aberdeen tassel loafers and a couple walking down the street stops and talks about my rain barrel. The lady says, those are really nice shoes...... her husband was wearing beat up old tennis shoes, BTW. My point, women notice footwear, so wear your good shoes guys, even if you are happily married (I am).

Reaction score
Wanted to share my LHS Van sizing experience in hopes it may help others. A couple weeks back in the thread about sizing variance between leathers (thanks for responses!). Generally folks will size the same for cordovan as they would for suede. Some did suggest that their shoes fit differently depending on the leather, and Brenda at Alden HQ suggested it’s possible fit may vary despite herself recommending going same size.

I am a 9D Barrie, 9.5C Aberdeen, and 9D suede LHS with no heel slip in any of these shoes. I got the 9D shell #8 LHS and felt like they were a bit loose in the heel, not quite like a flip flop but... almost. “This is normal and they’ll break in” is what I told myself, everyone experiences heel slip in this shoe to start. Nah, they kept flopping around and in my gut didn’t feel like they’d be wearable with thin socks and didn’t feel like they’d ever break in to account for the seemingly significant space in the heel. I wanted to be sure so...

5 more sizing attempts later (8.5E, 8.5D, 9C, 9.5C, and 9.5B) I’ve settled on the 9.5B which is the best fit. Little heel slip and feels locked in to my foot without discomfort. Never would’ve guessed, but logically I guess makes sense given the 9.5C fitting on the narrow Aberdeen last, meaning a 9.5B is basically the same on the wider Van last for me.

Purely anecdotal but:
-sizing may in fact vary depending on leather
-common guidance on sizing may not apply to you!
-trust your gut
-keep trying sizes until you find one that locks your heel and doesn’t hurt your toes.
-I would probably never assume my size again even if I was buying the same exact model - this may be overly cautious, but they’re handmade after all.

Hope this helps!

lcdx22

Reaction score
Assuming the length is good, I'd try the 12.5E first.

ETA: If a pair is available...

Thanks thas what I was thinking. As I was looking around for answers I found an old thread where you asked a similar question. Did you end up doing same down half size up a width?

My length is good. Would be good to know when comparing a 12.5E and 13D which is wider. In general is half size down + up one width wider or narrower than your starting size?

Last edited:

lcdx22

Reaction score
Wanted to share my LHS Van sizing experience in hopes it may help others. A couple weeks back in the thread about sizing variance between leathers (thanks for responses!). Generally folks will size the same for cordovan as they would for suede. Some did suggest that their shoes fit differently depending on the leather, and Brenda at Alden HQ suggested it’s possible fit may vary despite herself recommending going same size.

I am a 9D Barrie, 9.5C Aberdeen, and 9D suede LHS with no heel slip in any of these shoes. I got the 9D shell #8 LHS and felt like they were a bit loose in the heel, not quite like a flip flop but... almost. “This is normal and they’ll break in” is what I told myself, everyone experiences heel slip in this shoe to start. Nah, they kept flopping around and in my gut didn’t feel like they’d be wearable with thin socks and didn’t feel like they’d ever break in to account for the seemingly significant space in the heel. I wanted to be sure so...

5 more sizing attempts later (8.5E, 8.5D, 9C, 9.5C, and 9.5B) I’ve settled on the 9.5B which is the best fit. Little heel slip and feels locked in to my foot without discomfort. Never would’ve guessed, but logically I guess makes sense given the 9.5C fitting on the narrow Aberdeen last, meaning a 9.5B is basically the same on the wider Van last for me.

Purely anecdotal but:
-sizing may in fact vary depending on leather
-common guidance on sizing may not apply to you!
-trust your gut
-keep trying sizes until you find one that locks your heel and doesn’t hurt your toes.
-I would probably never assume my size again even if I was buying the same exact model - this may be overly cautious, but they’re handmade after all.

Hope this helps!

This is great. As you were trying on these sizes, what did you find ran wider...9D or 8.5E

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks thas what I was thinking. As I was looking around for answers I found an old thread where you asked a similar question. Did you end up doing same down half size up a width?

My length is good. Would be good to know when comparing a 12.5E and 13D which is wider. In general is half size down + up one width wider or narrower than your starting size?

A 12.5E will be wider than a 13D

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ended up going down a half in length with the same width, and overall, that's worked out pretty well (although the low instep was painful for me at first; I actually had a bruise on my right instep from getting that shoe on the first time that made it difficult to wear any shoe for a couple of days. But I stretched them and got them to the point where I can put them on without a shoehorn if I have to). I think going up a width might have helped with the initial fit in terms of the instep, but then they would probably have been too wide once I stretched the vamp.

In your case, the way you're describing the fit challenges you're seeing, I think going down a half in length and up a width makes more sense, since the issue you're dealing with is more width related.

As to your second question, my instinct is that down a half and up a width is going to be wider than your starting size, but I'm open to correction by one of the regulars who has more detailed knowledge and experience.

lcdx22

Reaction score
A 12.5E will be wider than a 13D
I ended up going down a half in length with the same width, and overall, that's worked out pretty well (although the low instep was painful for me at first; I actually had a bruise on my right instep from getting that shoe on the first time that made it difficult to wear any shoe for a couple of days. But I stretched them and got them to the point where I can put them on without a shoehorn if I have to). I think going up a width might have helped with the initial fit in terms of the instep, but then they would probably have been too wide once I stretched the vamp.

In your case, the way you're describing the fit challenges you're seeing, I think going down a half in length and up a width makes more sense, since the issue you're dealing with is more width related.

As to your second question, my instinct is that down a half and up a width is going to be wider than your starting size, but I'm open to correction by one of the regulars who has more detailed knowledge and experience.

My issue with fit is just in the toebox and probably more visual. The heel is perfect, the instep is good no pressure just nice and snug. The toe box seems fine when my foot is not on the ground but once I step down and the foot spreads it spills out slightly on both sides.

So trying to figure out how to get slightly more room in toebox with least amount of change else where knowing this is a 3D problem. Just want to avoid looseness in the heel.

First picture is foot hovering. Second picture is foot on the ground and you can see how my big toe bulges out and on the other side the welt is now completely hidden.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200604002135965_COVER.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20200604001720657_COVER.jpg

Reaction score
I could be wrong but when I asked about width the answers I got in my case were a 9D and an 8.5E were the same width equivalent. I found that when I tried those on they were similarly floppy, I didn’t sense an overwhelming improvement with the heel. That said, if your heel is locked at this width it’s worth a try.

What actually clicked for me was trying on the 9C (one half down from my TTS 9.5C on Aberdeen and an AE cap toe) and feeling like the width was right but also too many toes touching the end of the shoe. So I got more room by thinking that if the 8.5E is the same width as the 9D, maybe the 9.5B is the same as the 9C and gives me a little more room.

based purely on my experience I’d try down half out one width, as well as up one length same width?

xghostsniperx

Reaction score
Does anyone have these PTBs from Need Supply in Snuff or Milkshake? The Vibram-ish sole and eyelets make them look super unique and I'm interested in them for a spring/summer/fall casual shoe. The sale is pretty good, and even if I hated the sole I could always resole with dainite or something and still come out under retail for a PTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads