• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
You can't really go from black edge to antique. You can sand down the sides and make them antique but the top of the welt will still be black. If you want an antique welt you would have to strip and redye it (never seen it done very well) or have them re-welted, which is spendy. Would be cheaper to add a commando sole later on but probably not cheaper than just buying a belt.

I would go with the antique side and forget the commando sole. Commando is fine but nothing wrong with leather sole and it looks better IMO anyway. Wear them and your free belt for 4-5 years then resole with commando if you want to.

Profligate47

Reaction score
Figured I'd share the progress so far on my latest fade project, my BB unlined LHS. When these were brand new, they were probably the darkest pair of #8 I'd received and I almost thought they were black when I pulled them out of the box (I've included a picture from new for comparison). Not sure exactly how light I want to go with these but I do have a little bit of work to do on getting each shoe to a more even color.

View attachment 1399760

View attachment 1399762
Great job. I was displeased with my fade--too washed out and dry. I used Alden Cordovan polish and some brushing. I do like the result...
IMG_7103.jpg

aapmm

Reaction score
Here's a little update on the fade project that I started about a month ago. These have seen around 2 full weeks of sun since then.
View attachment 1399628

And here's a comparison shot with some other non-faded color 8
View attachment 1399629
First that fading looks amazing with the black welt!

Logistical question. Do you need 360 degrees of sun to fade well? As someone who lives in a high rise in manhattan I can only imagine leaving them in a window. Would rotating the shoe around each day to even it out enough?

Im pretty new to Alden; just preordered my first with gentlemen’s footwear for a color 8 plaza Indy. Not sure I’ll want to fade them, but if I do are there any recommended guides?

nbernie

Reaction score
Snuff suede NSTs in the mail from B+M today. I am being converted to the plaza last after years on the Barrie train!
AB3EDB4E-25FA-4412-AD98-4FFA773047C0.jpeg

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great job. I was displeased with my fade--too washed out and dry. I used Alden Cordovan polish and some brushing. I do like the result...
View attachment 1399911

Yours look nice--some great brown undertones going on. Fading will definitely dry out the shell. At the end of each day, I usually run my hands over each shoe and if I detect any dry spots I'll apply a coat of Bick4 to remoisturize them. So far it's done the trick but that's one of the reasons I want to be careful not to go too far with the fade.

lcdx22

Reaction score
So an exciting day today :) Got my snuff Suede LHS.

I went down half size as typically recommended. The heel is good. Instep is snug but not painful. I does take a little bit of work to get it on my foot due to the lower vamp.

What I don't like is the toe box fit. It's not tight but I notice that on both feet the pinky bulges out and so does my big toe ( more noticeable on the right shoe if you see pic below).

These are 12.5D. I was thinking of trying going up a width to 12.5E or maybe to a 13D.

What are your thoughts??

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200603132037188_COVER.jpg

Last edited:

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So an exciting day today :) Got my snuff Suede LHS.

I went down half size as typically recommended. The heel is good. Instep is snug but not painful. I does take a little bit of work to get it on my foot due to the lower vamp.

What I don't like is the toe box fit. It's not tight but I notice that on both feet the pinky bulges out and so does my big toe ( more noticeable on the right shoe if you see pic below).

These are 12.5D. I was thinking of trying going up a width to 12.5E or maybe to a 13D.

What are your thoughts??

View attachment 1399921
Assuming the length is good, I'd try the 12.5E first.

ETA: If a pair is available...

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have had an idea for a dream makeup for awhile and Alden Madison is willing to make that happen (assuming we can get to 12 people). I know of 3 people so far for sure but figured I would throw out the details here for anyone interested.

Specs:

Model:
"Henrik" U-Tip Boot (Handstitched)
Last: Grant
Leather: Reverse Tobacco Chamois
Sole: Commando
Eyelets: Brass Speedhooks
Welt: 360 Prestitch Reverse
Edges: Antique

Estimated Price: $625 ($300 down) with a ~6 month wait time.

If we get these through, they will also include a pair of my 48" Round Waxed Cord Laces and a Shell Cordovan Key Fob.

If you're interested, DM @AldenMadison on Instagram or shoot him an email at [email protected]

Below is my Photoshop attempt of what the final make-up would look like combining a few different makeups I could find online.
View attachment 1399801 \
Let me know if you have any questions!

Nice looking make up ! Good luck - hope u can get 12

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First that fading looks amazing with the black welt!

Logistical question. Do you need 360 degrees of sun to fade well? As someone who lives in a high rise in manhattan I can only imagine leaving them in a window. Would rotating the shoe around each day to even it out enough?

Im pretty new to Alden; just preordered my first with gentlemen’s footwear for a color 8 plaza Indy. Not sure I’ll want to fade them, but if I do are there any recommended guides?
Thanks! I think without 360 degree sun and in a window, the process probably just takes longer. I rotate mine every other week and they sit outside on my patio getting 6+ hours of 360 degree direct sunlight.

There is plenty of advice on this thread, but the best thing I got were words of caution from @BAK . The fading process can uncover defects in the underlying hide and the reason it was made to be color 8 in the first place. That's definitely been the case with mine, I have some scarring and discoloration that I've uncovered. So, I would be unlikely to do it with a new pair, but obviously they are your shoes and your choice.

Lastly, depending on your rotation they will gradually lighten up as you wear them. Mine had already turned more cherry given their age and wear so they were a good candidate for the experiment.

aapmm

Reaction score
Thanks! I think without 360 degree sun and in a window, the process probably just takes longer. I rotate mine every other week and they sit outside on my patio getting 6+ hours of 360 degree direct sunlight.

There is plenty of advice on this thread, but the best thing I got were words of caution from @BAK . The fading process can uncover defects in the underlying hide and the reason it was made to be color 8 in the first place. That's definitely been the case with mine, I have some scarring and discoloration that I've uncovered. So, I would be unlikely to do it with a new pair, but obviously they are your shoes and your choice.

Lastly, depending on your rotation they will gradually lighten up as you wear them. Mine had already turned more cherry given their age and wear so they were a good candidate for the experiment.
Thanks! Will definitely take that into consideration

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have been sun lightening a pair of color 8 Indy boots and, yes, some underlying defects in the leather have begun to show themselves. The thing is, I don't mind them, as it's nothing serious, just color variations.
Day 6.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads