• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X_dSF

Reaction score
This is really helpful as I have wondered that myself. I always looked at mocha as darker than cigar without the olive undertones (I swear I don't even know what that means). So my only question is which is which? I assume the splits are cigar and the caps mocha.
I bet both are mochas :)

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, just an incredible tribute to a really classy man yesterday. The posts that revealed some of the private messages were just amazing to read and brought back memories of my own limited experience and interaction with Mac. Well done fellas.

I received some non-alden incoming yesterday (thanks @chipshot for an absolute gorgeous pair of loafers) and they brought to mind one of my few regrets about my shoe strategy. When I stumbled on my first pair of Aldens I had never heard of shell. Once I got the bug, like many rookies, I dove in with both feet. In retrospect I wish I had proceeded more cautiously and diversified a little. Alden will always be my favorite but I wouldn't mind having a greater selection of other shoemaker and styles. What prompted this was looking at my loafer collection after receiving the whiskey's from Chip. I've got 10 pair of loafers, which goes to 12 if you count tassels as some do. Man, that's a lot of overlap.........

20200601_185502.jpg
20200602_055042.jpg

Something else I found fascinating is the difference in whiskey. I love my Geroge's but will love them even more when they darken to the shade of the C&J's......

20200602_054911.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First of all, just an incredible tribute to a really classy man yesterday. The posts that revealed some of the private messages were just amazing to read and brought back memories of my own limited experience and interaction with Mac. Well done fellas.

I received some non-alden incoming yesterday (thanks @chipshot for an absolute gorgeous pair of loafers) and they brought to mind one of my few regrets about my shoe strategy. When I stumbled on my first pair of Aldens I had never heard of shell. Once I got the bug, like many rookies, I dove in with both feet. In retrospect I wish I had proceeded more cautiously and diversified a little. Alden will always be my favorite but I wouldn't mind having a greater selection of other shoemaker and styles. What prompted this was looking at my loafer collection after receiving the whiskey's from Chip. I've got 10 pair of loafers, which goes to 12 if you count tassels as some do. Man, that's a lot of overlap.........

View attachment 1399288 View attachment 1399289

Something else I found fascinating is the difference in whiskey. I love my Geroge's but will love them even more when they darken to the shade of the C&J's......

View attachment 1399290
Man...that's exactly where I want my whiskey headed.

djbanor

Reaction score
This is really helpful as I have wondered that myself. I always looked at mocha as darker than cigar without the olive undertones (I swear I don't even know what that means). So my only question is which is which? I assume the splits are cigar and the caps mocha.
I bet both are mochas :)
Correct, they are both mochas. The cap toes were definitely sprayed with color 8 dye. The tankers are lighter.

X_dSF

Reaction score
Correct, they are both mochas. The cap toes were definitely sprayed with color 8 dye. The tankers are lighter.
I am assuming the tanker is older than the ctb, and the alden dye on tanker have been faded off?

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1399288 View attachment 1399289

View attachment 1399290

@Shawnc Your comments on diving into Alden cautiously made me think of some more great advice that Uncle Mac gave me when I started out in the Alden game. It was advice he always repeated.

When I started out in Alden, rare shell was not too difficult to come by. It relatively easy to indulge in the exotics. Mac always cautioned me about going too far into exotics without first building an inventory of practical core models. Mac always stressed that the color 8 and black shell models should be building blocks and only after securing the proper core models should one start to dive into exotics.

Here's a good story that I think most people would be surprised at. Back in 2011 or 2012 I made a stop into the J. Crew Ludlow shop in NYC to pick up a shirt. J. Crew had Aldens on their website at the time, but the Ludlow shop had a few models that were not on the website. One of those models was the Ravello LWB with brass eyelets (commonly known as the Brassvello). I immediately jumped at the chance to pick these up and I quickly called Mac to see if he wanted a pair. What Alden collector would not want these? I was so excited to tell Mac the news. I knew that Ravello was Mac's favorite exotic. Mac calmly asked me about the shoes. After a brief pause he said "I have decided to not purchase the shoe. I already have Ravello. I know you also have Ravello LWBs, Joseph. Do you really need another pair?"

I was very surprised at his response, but Mac was always practical in his purchases. I was amazed at his restraint, especially for such a rare model.

I did purchase the shoes. Alas, a few years later I ended up selling them to @mdubs because they did overlap my other LWBs. Mac was right.

So for new collectors, don't get caught up in the hype. Plan your purchases carefully. In the end your collection, and your wallet, will end up in a better place.

Shine on nephews.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Shawnc Your comments on diving into Alden cautiously made me think of some more great advice that Uncle Mac gave me when I started out in the Alden game. It was advice he always repeated.

When I started out in Alden, rare shell was not too difficult to come by. It relatively easy to indulge in the exotics. Mac always cautioned me about going too far into exotics without first building an inventory of practical core models. Mac always stressed that the color 8 and black shell models should be building blocks and only after securing the proper core models should one start to dive into exotics.

Here's a good story that I think most people would be surprised at. Back in 2011 or 2012 I made a stop into the J. Crew Ludlow shop in NYC to pick up a shirt. J. Crew had Aldens on their website at the time, but the Ludlow shop had a few models that were not on the website. One of those models was the Ravello LWB with brass eyelets (commonly known as the Brassvello). I immediately jumped at the chance to pick these up and I quickly called Mac to see if he wanted a pair. What Alden collector would not want these? I was so excited to tell Mac the news. I knew that Ravello was Mac's favorite exotic. Mac calmly asked me about the shoes. After a brief pause he said "I have decided to not purchase the shoe. I already have Ravello. I know you also have Ravello LWBs, Joseph. Do you really need another pair?"

I was very surprised at his response, but Mac was always practical in his purchases. I was amazed at his restraint, especially for such a rare model.

I did purchase the shoes. Alas, a few years later I ended up selling them to @mdubs because they did overlap my other LWBs. Mac was right.

So for new collectors, don't get caught up in the hype. Plan your purchases carefully. In the end your collection, and your wallet, will end up in a better place.

Shine on nephews.
Truly a man of wisdom.

I've certainly suffered from over purchasing as well. I look at my collection now looking at what I need to purge rather than what am I missing.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little late, but Monday's were/are busy for me.
Gy7n5Hc.jpg

Mac would always add a reply like, "Looking good in your gunboats, nephew".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads