• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've wondered how many people are on TSM's Alden shell lists, who are not here. I often forget that we are a sub-set of Alden people, and there are legions (well maybe not that many) who are Alden rare shell fans, but not SF members.

I didn't even realize it, but a friend from college lives not far from TSM. He texted me a pic of an Indy boot a while back and said, should I? I asked how he was able to find a custom makeup (Natty CXL, maybe on Commando)? He responded - oh, I come in here all the time, I've bought a dozen pairs of shoes here. I had him ask if there was anything lying around in an 8.5 or 8 Trubalance in rare shell. Of course they said nope.

But, once I found out, I started texting him pics of the rare shell stock at Alden DC. Now our college friends group text has a guy who lives in Seattle and goes to Brick and Mortar. We all know each others' sizes in case there's something interesting hanging around.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't even realize it, but a friend from college lives not far from TSM. He texted me a pic of an Indy boot a while back and said, should I? I asked how he was able to find a custom makeup (Natty CXL, maybe on Commando)? He responded - oh, I come in here all the time, I've bought a dozen pairs of shoes here. I had him ask if there was anything lying around in an 8.5 or 8 Trubalance in rare shell. Of course they said nope.

But, once I found out, I started texting him pics of the rare shell stock at Alden DC. Now our college friends group text has a guy who lives in Seattle and goes to Brick and Mortar. We all know each others' sizes in case there's something interesting hanging around.
My friend, you are lucky! I'm the only one, outside of people here, who care about footwear at all. My friends think I'm nuts, my family thinks similar, wife is tolerant, but basically I feel like I'm alone in a sea of people who don't care and/or wouldn't consider spending AE money, let alone Alden money on footwear....
My best friend locally, has a pair of RedWings that he considers "high end expensive" boots, I am scared to tell him what I have spent on lowly full strap loafers......

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you send an email to them requesting to be added to the lists? If so it might take 24 to 48 hrs
I’m an idiot and didn’t realize you had to email to get the whole exclusives section added. I thought the email only added the rare leathers. Thanks for clarifying. Luckily I’m not really into the shells. I’m looking mainly trying to see what they have as 2nds.

oskrusa

Reaction score
it’s probably the pair j returned to the armory. It had a bad dye job.

I didn't see the pair on TSM but I was at the Armory last fall and they told me that they just sent a pair of rare shell captoes back to Alden. They were returned with some flaws and were 8.5D on Plaza.

Was that you?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m an idiot and didn’t realize you had to email to get the whole exclusives section added. I thought the email only added the rare leathers. Thanks for clarifying. Luckily I’m not really into the shells. I’m looking mainly trying to see what they have as 2nds.
If you get on the seconds list, they will let you know when they add new items, plus when you log in to your TSM account, you will be able to see seconds any time. Not an idiot at all, no one tells us the "rules" so we all have to learn them, either via here or on our own :)

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weird isn't it. Were yours 1sts or 2nds? Mine were 2nd's and I wonder if the blooming, in the box when new, was the reason they might have been returned? If someone didn't know what it was, would be scary to open and see all that bloom.
I think mine were seconds, too.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't see the pair on TSM but I was at the Armory last fall and they told me that they just sent a pair of rare shell captoes back to Alden. They were returned with some flaws and were 8.5D on Plaza.

Was that you?

yes

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was the flaw

DC1EEC7A-F966-4C7C-B11B-934B14A21EA4.jpeg
993E2AEC-DF0B-49DD-9F9E-39020F6D2333.jpeg
D9121B31-8E6A-443D-A0BC-6C0E88C393B6.jpeg

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend, you are lucky! I'm the only one, outside of people here, who care about footwear at all. My friends think I'm nuts, my family thinks similar, wife is tolerant, but basically I feel like I'm alone in a sea of people who don't care and/or wouldn't consider spending AE money, let alone Alden money on footwear....
My best friend locally, has a pair of RedWings that he considers "high end expensive" boots, I am scared to tell him what I have spent on lowly full strap loafers......

One works at MS and says he can't wear anything dressier than suede bluchers or he gets dirty looks. So, he's mostly a boot guy The other needs EEE so he kind of fell into Alden as the only regularly available dress shoe. But, now he loves them.

They don't necessarily understand my style of English dress shoes. But, they get my Alden casual shoes and boots obsession. They understand the search process and the desire to find the perfect shoe. Unfortunately, there is no one perfect shoe, so we all just chase perfect, coming close so many times, but still needing one more.

I'm really hoping the cigar plaza Indy on commando are the perfect boot. But, the NST on plaza in whiskey might be it. Good thing I am on lists for both.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, need another boot like a hole-in-the-head but those were hard to pass up. Me and my man hanging out back as my wife and I get ready to head into town for pick up. AoM grant-lasted snuff splits......

View attachment 1393316 View attachment 1393317

Feels like a treat to actually have shoes on. Strange times indeed......
Looking good sir. Extra points for the lawn and puppy cameo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads