• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool! I am wearing my version of those today (see above) :)

Very good, thanks! Do you have a brand you prefer?

Thanks, chip! I am young, so I am still growing the herd. I think I have a little bit of everything :p
Saw those plain expanses of shell goodness. Wear in good health!

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jet Black Shell LHSes contrast stitching
1C20224D-BC7B-4E63-9BBA-31A8FF8CCD47.jpeg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried really hard to like RTC given how little maintenance it needs and how good it is for foul weather.. but I found the oil in the leather did a real number to pant hems with discoloring them with the oil embedded in the leather. Maybe a lot of others pairs aren't having similar issues.
Only worn with denim as well, but have not noticed that.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture of Barrie and Grant side by side. Grant is a smidge narrower and has a straighter, more almond toe. I'd say most size Grant tts as opposed to .5 down like Barrie. For what it's worth, I have wider feet and slightly prefer the fit of Grant.

View attachment 1366534
Thanks for various advices on Grant vs Barrie. I think the 12D Barrie shoes are roomy enough that I’ll take the plunge on 12D Grant.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saavy.. I have always liked Cole Haan loafer socks .. been wearing them for years..

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I wear 11.5D in Barrie last and 12D in Grant last.
Yeah, the fact that 11.5 Barrie is like 1mm width on the right foot from being perfect (and that was in a shell shoe with no stretch) makes me think that 12D will be good.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Short wing boots for the day.

1E3ED5E6-20C9-4C0E-88D3-7360402F5E38.jpeg

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone is doing well. It’s been very busy with work (even from home) - I hope to have some new pics up (including a new acquisition) soon.

Two questions

1) Does anyone still sell a color 8 unlined Dover with dark (black) edges or soles? It seems like everyone moved to the antique edging in recent years

2) Is the Alden factory open? I’m wondering if it falls under the definition of essential manufacturing in Massachusetts

Stay safe everyone

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone is doing well. It’s been very busy with work (even from home) - I hope to have some new pics up (including a new acquisition) soon.

Two questions

1) Does anyone still sell a color 8 unlined Dover with dark (black) edges or soles? It seems like everyone moved to the antique edging in recent years

2) Is the Alden factory open? I’m wondering if it falls under the definition of essential manufacturing in Massachusetts

Stay safe everyone
They haven't said anything about being closed so I would assume they're open even if not running at full steam. You could always email their customer service if you're wondering. Perhaps they will give you some degree of insight.

I was surprised that my cobbler in MA said they were deemed non-essential. To me footwear is a form of travel. If bike shops and car shops can be open then why not cobblers?

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two questions

Stay safe everyone

Factory is currently closed. They are non-essential manufacturing.

They haven't said anything about being closed so I would assume they're open even if not running at full steam. You could always email their customer service if you're wondering. Perhaps they will give you some degree of incite.

I was surprised that my cobbler in MA said they were deemed non-essential. To me footwear is a form of travel. If bike shops and car shops can be open then why not cobblers?

I would imagine cobblers can continue to work if they do mail-in business, I think they just are not allowed to have their storefronts open.

Similarly, car dealerships are closed here for non-service functions, but you can still buy a car online or over the phone and they will arrange all of it so you can do so. It's still essential to be able to buy a car, say, if yours dies, which makes sense, but they don't want people staffing dealerships and doing test drives and such.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two questions

Stay safe everyone

I picked up a pair from B&M before they switched im sure Yenni would do her best to accommodate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads