• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Friday morning all. Natty plain toe boots, dog toy and watching it snow.
IMG_1186.jpeg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, please be honest here.
How many of you wear your cordovan boots/shoes out in the rain, snow or slush? I am an oldtimer here. I recall reading that if cordovan gets wet, it will bubble at the spots. Just need to wait for it to dry and buff it with a cloth and they will be gone. Nevermind the blooom. How about salt stains? Same way we treat regular leather shoes? A bit of vinegar and water and some elbow grease? Boots/shoes are meant to be worn, but I also want to "baby" them. You are spending a fair bit of $$ on them afterall.

Not so much snow/slush since we don't get much here, but I wear cordovan in the rain all the time. The more important factor for me is what sole they have. Normal leather sole I tend to avoid the wet.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many of you wear your cordovan boots/shoes out in the rain, snow or slush? I am an oldtimer here. I recall reading that if cordovan gets wet, it will bubble at the spots. Just need to wait for it to dry and buff it with a cloth and they will be gone. Nevermind the blooom. How about salt stains? Same way we treat regular leather shoes? A bit of vinegar and water and some elbow grease? Boots/shoes are meant to be worn, but I also want to "baby" them. You are spending a fair bit of $$ on them afterall.
Wear them in the rain all of the time. Wipe down with a wet cloth and brush the heck out of em after and don't have an issue with spotting.

lcdx22

Reaction score

Sure do. Here is a picture from 2 days ago. Color 8 chukka burried. The intent is not to go snow walking but if it happens ah well. Quick wipe ans they're back to normal.
IMG_20200226_182527.jpg

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure do. Here is a picture from 2 days ago. Color 8 chukka burried. The intent is not to go snow walking but if it happens ah well. Quick wipe ans they're back to normal.
I'd love to see these post wipe down

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quick and easy question for you guys - the black area around the toe mid-sole area - is that rubber?

1582904603771.png

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

adrs1157

Reaction score
Good question, but no, not the toe stiffener. I used rubber bands to preserve a faux cap toe line. If you look up at the collar of the boots you'll see I preserved a line there as well. Just a couple little design details I thought I'd have fun with. Depending on the light sometimes you don't notice the lines at all, and other times they're pretty evident.
That's a cool idea. I figure since my boots have rolls all over the place they'll fade uniquely.

adrs1157

Reaction score
I have 4 pairs of cordovan boots that I wear exclusively in the winter months. I am in Canada.

They do spot but after cleaning it does go away.

It's hard to keep them looking nice, but it's even harder for other leathers. It's the edge that needs more attention than anything. It's been 3 or so years and I have yet to see any permanent stains or damage to the uppers of any pair. Also, no water gets in.

My wife has a pair with kangaroo uppers, a pebble grain calf and a chromexcel pair for winter and they are not aging well at all.

I'm super impressed with cordovan so far. Great material for winter.

Edit: If you want to see some pictures, I posted some on the C&J thread here: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...read-reviews-quality-etc.227575/post-10054063

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads