• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day out in the world today. A little bloom developing on my left boot, particularly where they bend.
IMG_1651.jpg

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's my only pair of Aldens so get used to seein em. Imma patina the hell out of these bois.

20200227_174039.jpg

They'll be asplorin Carpathia this summer.

Proper Indy style.

WOW i just got home and realized how blurry this photo is lol.

Sorry we were arriving for fish tacos and margaritas. I *might* have cracked a beer right after work and let missus drive after i finished it to get to the food spot. I have a couple subordinates who make me do that from time to time.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's my only pair of Aldens so get used to seein em. Imma patina the hell out of these bois.

View attachment 1345414

Proper Indy style.
We won't get tired of seeing them, if you don't get tired of posting them :)

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We won't get tired of seeing them, if you don't get tired of posting them :)

I think we all know the day i stop posting is the day the wife builds a boat for my viking burial. :hide:

patrickngai

Reaction score
Gentlemen, just wanted to share my current Alden collection and give a little background into where I purchased them and what I would like to get in the future.

They will be displayed in chronological order of acquisition.

308CF0E5-45F0-428A-ADDC-5067B7078FF6.jpeg

The first pair of Alden’s I acquired was a pair of used J Crew PCT boots. I did sell them off again, but am still looking for a pair of jumpers in Color 8 Cordovan.

This pair pictured above is a Plaza lasted Indy in Col 8 from Frans Boone. I received this for my birthday 2 years ago. It is by far my darkest pair of Col 8 and whilst it has faded slightly around the eyelets on the facing, it is still really dark Col 8. This is size 10E (will become important later)
3FE5F22A-D015-4689-85E0-C49FECA10F96.jpeg

My second acquisition is actually the pair I am wearing right now. It is a pair of Leffot’s Dark Brown Calf Captoe boots. These were acquired last year in June. A family member was passing through Chicago and ‘volunteered’ to buy these for me.

These are also on the plaza last. The calf is thick on these bad boys, and I definitely do feel a pinch by the end of the day on my pinky toe, where the Celastic of the toe cap regretfully bashes into my pinky. Hopefully with time, this will get better :) they definitely feel softer than when they were out of the box and I do have hopes that this pinch will end soon.

I definitely do feel the difference between calf and cordovan. My cordovan is softer and moulds to my foot, and the calf has yet to do so. These are also 10 E plaza.

296275A2-4828-40E1-9EAB-D7E02CBE2D33.jpeg

My next acquisition was ebay buy. These are a pair of LHS loafers on the van last. These are in a size of 9.5 E. I got these for a steal and they are one of my most worn summer shoes. They rolls are starting to come in nicely. I do suspect when I did buy them, that they were actually quite old. They did have fade, and the insoles were really dark indicating a sweaty foot had been in there for a while before mine. But when the shoes were acquired, they were not showing much signs of rolling, indicating they hadn’t been worn that much.

658E0693-9230-49F2-A7B4-8B670ABECC5B.jpeg

My next acquisition was a pair of plaza lasted WTB, from Skomaker. These were acquired early this year, and were size in 10.5 E. I decided to size up because I needed some boots to wear with thicker socks. With thinner socks, at first it felt like they were too roomy in the toes and the heel cup. However, with breaking in further, they have actually become more comfortable even with thinner socks. I think that because the sole is now more flexible, heels don’t experience much slip.

This Color 8 is comparatively lighter and much more burgundy. I think these will age nicely.

0592864A-AF41-43A5-B2D3-88A96CF27BC1.jpeg

This is my last pair in my collection. These tankers are on the Barrie last and are in black shell. I bought these in black shell instead of Color 8 because I didn’t have any black shell in my collection. Although black almost always gets outshone by its brother Color 8, I am interested in the way that it will age itself.

The reason behind the acquisition is also that it can serve as a winter boot that can also be worn with thick socks. Hence I sized up to 10E barrie. They also had the same problem as my WTB in the beginning with heel slip and roominess, but when broken in they work well with even thin socks. I have noticed that even with fluctuations in size from 10E-10.5E plaza, my feet are still comfortable in both. I would imagine that 9.5E barrie would fit me well, but 10E also seems just as fine.

In terms of any future acquisitions, I am also interested in a tanker boot on the Aberdeen last in Color 8. I really like the mahogany front boot by B+M. I like it because the moc toe U stitching is shorter and the split is longer, which I think looks quite unique and is definitely different enough to justify another tanker ;)

1455661D-75AB-458B-BC49-3FB452B81A63.png

I am also interested in an Aberdeen lasted whole cut slipper in Color 8

Alas both of these shoes are only available to the US and I am not from there. Hence I need SF’s help as well. Do you gentlemen know where I can get these exact models out of the US? I have searched but can’t seem to find any.

Anyway, here’s to the start of my Alden Collecting journey. I only got into Alden about 2 years ago, and am quite happy with my collection so far.

Thanks gentlemen!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1345414

Proper Indy style.

WOW i just got home and realized how blurry this photo is lol.

Sorry we were arriving for fish tacos and margaritas. I *might* have cracked a beer right after work and let missus drive after i finished it to get to the food spot. I have a couple subordinates who make me do that from time to time.
And I just looked at it again, and after almost a full bottle of a nice Cabernet, it doesn't seem as blurry as it did earlier today :)

BAK

Reaction score
I’ve been having a love affair with plain toe boots recently. I’ve had some in the past, but sold them. I’m back on the wagon now. Just picked up TSM plain toe color 8 on Barrie. I really like the 270 storm welt with the “heel forward”, giving into more presence in the heel area than the typical 270 welt, but not as much heft as the 360 reverse welt. A very well balanced makeup IMO.
View attachment 1345093
Beautiful, Joe - enjoy those D5825C's! It's a shame you won't be able to wear them for approximately 6 months until the fading has completed. :rotflmao:
Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 9.57.39 PM.png

The fading...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2020 was (is) supposed to be a slower footwear year than last year. So far this year......2 pair of Indy boots, 1 pair Loden Suede boots, 1 pair calf boots, 1 preorder of Kudu with Grant Stone and now 1 pair of saddle shoes on preorder with Ealdwine.......slower my a**!

EDIT-- I "forgot" about the full strap Aberdeen penny loafers that are due to arrive tomorrow.......

Second Edit---Paid for in 2019, but didn't arrive until 2020- Natty cap toe boots.

I can quit anytime I want, honest.

Last edited:

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2020 was (is) supposed to be a slower footwear year than last year. So far this year......2 pair of Indy boots, 1 pair Loden Suede boots, 1 pair calf boots, 1 preorder of Kudu with Grant Stone and now 1 pair of saddle shoes on preorder with Ealdwine.......slower my a**!

Oh, man, you ordered the saddle shoes? I was going to order them, then changed my mind. What can a navy on white saddle shoe be worn with?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, man, you ordered the saddle shoes? I was going to order them, then changed my mind. What can a navy on white saddle shoe be worn with?
Clothes????? :)
I have a very, very, very old pair of J&M Navy/White saddle shoes that I wore with khaki's (light color) or linen trousers. Always got compliments like "cool shoes" and "I like those" from the women in the office, and comments like "great shoes, but I could never wear those" from the guys in the office. It's all in one's attitude.
They could also be worn with denim..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics