• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkclassic

Reaction score
IMG_20200226_095332_107.jpg

Alden of Carmel AoC-51

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can one of you learned gents please describe the difference between a full-strap loafer and a penny loafer? Obviously the strap is different, but do the two shoes differ in any other significant way? Does the full strap loafer have a higher vamp that ends closer to the ankle? I am in the market for a #8 loafer for business casual, church, etc., but I'm not sure whether to get the LHS or the full strap so I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!

nws

Reaction score
Can one of you learned gents please describe the difference between a full-strap loafer and a penny loafer? Obviously the strap is different, but do the two shoes differ in any other significant way? Does the full strap loafer have a higher vamp that ends closer to the ankle? I am in the market for a #8 loafer for business casual, church, etc., but I'm not sure whether to get the LHS or the full strap so I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Full strap is just related to the design of the strap going down to the welt. You can have a penny or full strap with various vamp designs (high vamp, low vamp).

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Other than the strap differences, biggest difference is going to be that full straps are on Aberdeen and LHS is on the Van last. I'm not a big loafer guy and my only experience is with Van in a loafer but I think most take Van down .5 and Aberdeen loafers TTS. I'm sure others may have more insight on the respective fits.

Omega Man

Reaction score
A noob question here. In Alden's world, what are the differences between an Indy boot and an U-tip boot. Assuming construction / material is the same, is the design on the apron the only difference? The "U" on the vamp is wider for Indy and the U on the U-tip boot is pointier? A side-by-side comparison would be ideal.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A noob question here. In Alden's world, what are the differences between an Indy boot and an U-tip boot. Assuming construction / material is the same, is the design on the apron the only difference? The "U" on the vamp is wider for Indy and the U on the U-tip boot is pointier? A side-by-side comparison would be ideal.
Generally U-tip refers to any Mocc stitching not on the TruBalance last. The lines on the Mocc stitch on TruBalance are more squared. On other lasts the Mocc stitching is more u shaped. Plaza maybe being the other exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads