• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's been some great Plaza Indy makeups lately and it got me thinking that I'd really like a machine stitched Plaza Indy modeled on a 405 using the updated, non-orange leather (see https://www.ealdwineraleigh.com/alden/405-original-indy-boot-1) and wanted to gauge if there was any other interest in a run.

I was thinking the following specs:

Plaza last with machine stitching
405 light brown calf
Matching eyelets and hooks (also open to brass)
Natural edge
270 storm welt (also open to 360 flat)
Neocork sole (also open to commando)

Assuming there's interest, I believe there's a retailer interested in doing a run so feel free to let me know.
I might be interested if matching eyelets/hooks and Neocork.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does it mean when a spec is "matching eyelets/ hooks"?

Typically non-contrasting (e.g. not brass or nickel). The standard 405 Indy has matching eyelets/hooks, for example:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typically non-contrasting (e.g. not brass or nickel). The standard 405 Indy has matching eyelets/hooks, for example:

Okay, thanks. So sometimes the eyelets are a different color than hooks? Sorry, don't own any with hooks.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. So sometimes the eyelets are a different color than hooks? Sorry, don't own any with hooks.
Think brown hardware on a brown boot. Black on a black boot. Instead of the contrast of brass or nickel.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. So sometimes the eyelets are a different color than hooks?

Eyelets are usually the same color as the hooks. Non-contrasting refers more to the eyelets/hooks not being a contrasting finish to the leather color (typically brown eyelets/hooks in the case of brown tone leathers or black in the case of black leathers). Going with all brass eyelets and hooks would be an example of contrasting hardware.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have never seen any with different color eyelets and hooks on the same boot, although it might be interesting. Seems they are all one color, either matching the leather or brass or silver.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think brown hardware on a brown boot. Black on a black boot. Instead of the contrast of brass or nickel.
Eyelets are usually the same color as the hooks. Non-contrasting refers more to the eyelets/hooks not being a contrasting finish to the leather color (typically brown eyelets/hooks in the case or brown tone leathers or black in the case of black leathers). Going with all brass eyelets and hooks would be an example of contrasting hardware.
Got it now. Thank you both

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went in to try on my newly arrived color 8 Indy's on commando with antique edge at Alden DC. Should get them via FedEx tomorrow.

Public Service Announcement for the brothers of the forum:
They had a bunch of larger (10 -12) of some whiskey tassel loafers and whiskey hampton lasted semi-brogue oxfords. A few were in E width. Didn't take notes on available sizes. There are also a couple of ravello semi-brogue oxfords as well. Nothing in my 8 1/2 D range.

Do people usually take the tassel loafers TTS? Or down 1/2 size from Brannock?

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Bummer. Sorry, no particular recommendations. But I will reaffirm that CXL seems far softer/stretchier than calf or shell.

I’ve also seen a lot of pics here where it appears guys are tying the sh-t out of their speedhooks as if they are lashing a yacht to survive a hurricane.

Whatever you do as a fix with your new-to-you Indy boots, take it easy on those hooks in the future...
Might replace with eyelets.

GGMac

Reaction score
Took delivery of a few gems from B+M yesterday. Threw the scotch grain lwb’s right into the rotation. I’ve been wanting this makeup for a long time and glad I finally took the plunge.

29D8CE86-39D6-461D-A492-3E8794AF0C5A.jpeg

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some sizing advice. Picked up my first pair of Barrie last boots this week, 11.5D jumpers in color 8 shell moderately used, and they don’t fit. The left shoe fits like an absolute glove in dress socks (too tight in thick socks like chups) and the right is just too tight across the foot even without socks (immediately painful along my pinkie toe bone).

Should I size up to 11.5E or go 12D? I’d rather not do the “order both and try em on”’ route but I suspect that may be the easiest.

djbanor

Reaction score
Need some sizing advice. Picked up my first pair of Barrie last boots this week, 11.5D jumpers in color 8 shell moderately used, and they don’t fit. The left shoe fits like an absolute glove in dress socks (too tight in thick socks like chups) and the right is just too tight across the foot even without socks (immediately painful along my pinkie toe bone).

Should I size up to 11.5E or go 12D? I’d rather not do the “order both and try em on”’ route but I suspect that may be the easiest.
My advice would be to get sized at an Alden retailer or factory store. I understand not everyone lives close to a retailer, but oftentimes it's a worthwhile investment to take a trip to a store rather than guessing at different sizes.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My advice would be to get sized at an Alden retailer or factory store. I understand not everyone lives close to a retailer, but oftentimes it's a worthwhile investment to take a trip to a store rather than guessing at different sizes.
This is the ideal answer...

Maybe at least get properly measured and know brannock size for both feet? Then at least he has a starting point if he can't get to a shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads