• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rainy evening out, commando got the call. Natty NST on Commando (Brogue make-up)
IMG_1130.jpeg

baromatic

Reaction score
This past week @jpm1 and I were bouncing around ideas for a brand new balmoral makeup since you all know I have an affinity for balmorals! :bigstar: Any input from the community would be great with regards to sole choice (single vs. double). Currently leaning heavily towards a double oak sole to match the gravitas the upper design brings to the table. It's a really unique and nice take on a wingtip.

The details are currently as follows with photos:
Color 8 upper
Hampton last, 270 welt
Double oak leather sole
Antique edge

View attachment 1343396 View attachment 1343397

Count me in. Great make up
But please consider single flex, or single leather sole. The shoe would be more elegant.

Omega Man

Reaction score
I paid in full for a boot a long time ago and have had no word from them.
Stronghold. I paid for a pair of cordo NST a long time ago as well. Followed up a few times, responses are sporadic. Should I / we be worried?

Luigi80

Reaction score
Hello, I am writing because I have recently become an admirer of Alden shoes. I live in Europe (Spain) but I like Alden much more than any European brand. At the moment I have moved my collection with the last aberdeen, because I had the opportunity to test it in the Madison store.

I recently acquired 4 pairs with that last, and here comes my first doubt. I'll try later if I learn to upload photos.

My doubt is that what stands out of the sole, in one shoe is much more than in others, being all movasin of tassels. the fact that it excels a lot makes the shoe much more sporty. I don't know very well why it is or if it's normal or it's a mistake. For example, in my tassel snuf the edge of the sole, seen from above, almost does not stand out but in color Tassel 8. it stands out almost a centimeter. I don't know if I'm explaining myself well to what I mean. It is the part of the sole that comes out of the skin with the shoe on and where the sewing goes. Thank you very much for your time.

Attachments

• 720A716A-FA69-4D4F-91AE-84BF9AB93920.jpeg
    720A716A-FA69-4D4F-91AE-84BF9AB93920.jpeg
    383 KB · Views: 35

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stronghold. I paid for a pair of cordo NST a long time ago as well. Followed up a few times, responses are sporadic. Should I / we be worried?
I would say no

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am writing because I have recently become an admirer of Alden shoes. I live in Europe (Spain) but I like Alden much more than any European brand. At the moment I have moved my collection with the last aberdeen, because I had the opportunity to test it in the Madison store.

I recently acquired 4 pairs with that last, and here comes my first doubt. I'll try later if I learn to upload photos.

My doubt is that what stands out of the sole, in one shoe is much more than in others, being all movasin of tassels. the fact that it excels a lot makes the shoe much more sporty. I don't know very well why it is or if it's normal or it's a mistake. For example, in my tassel snuf the edge of the sole, seen from above, almost does not stand out but in color Tassel 8. it stands out almost a centimeter. I don't know if I'm explaining myself well to what I mean. It is the part of the sole that comes out of the skin with the shoe on and where the sewing goes. Thank you very much for your time.
Welcome to the board! Are they both the same last, Aberdeen or is the snuff on Copley last (Brooks Brothers)? If they are the same then I suggest it’s just that the shell sole wasn’t trimmed as close as the suede probably.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's not a mistake, just a variation due to these shoes being worked on by humans. Sometimes the welts are just cut a bit wider depending on where exactly the stitches hit. I'd rather have a bit wider welt than broken stitches because they were cutting the welt too close.
I can't tell 100% from the pic, but that appears to be the case. If there is in fact a lot of welt without stitching, you could sand them down yourself to thin them up. If it really bothers you and you're not ok with that solution, you could try your luck with another pair. Just know that's within acceptable variation and you may end up with the same look on try number two.

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a normal variation for Alden. I agree with you about the vastly different appearance of the loafer as a whole when the welt protrudes more rather than less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads