• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair similar to these on order. Sctich grain and hunter green suede. I hope they eventually arrive. Since they were ordered I have retired and moved.
Stronghold ?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't even realize Alden would do an Adelaide!

I didn't think Alden did something like that either, who knew! Not that I'd be in the market, but this would look better with black or even darker mahogany edges vs. antique. Antique is beyond played out by almost every shop at the moment and doesn't really fit the bal vibe IMO.

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
92CBBC86-2B0B-410F-86E1-A2F804ED2ED7.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't think Alden did something like that either, who knew! Not that I'd be in the market, but this would look better with black or even darker mahogany edges vs. antique. Antique is beyond played out by almost every shop at the moment and doesn't really fit the bal vibe IMO.
Agreed. To be honest, I was kinda surprised because @savvysartorial didn't seem to be on the antique hype train last year!

lcdx22

Reaction score
This past week @jpm1 and I were bouncing around ideas for a brand new balmoral makeup since you all know I have an affinity for balmorals! :bigstar: Any input from the community would be great with regards to sole choice (single vs. double). Currently leaning heavily towards a double oak sole to match the gravitas the upper design brings to the table. It's a really unique and nice take on a wingtip.

The details are currently as follows with photos:
Color 8 upper
Hampton last, 270 welt
Double oak leather sole
Antique edge

View attachment 1343396 View attachment 1343397

Maybe at least 5 eyelet or preferably 6? 4 seems off. And concur with previous comment on doing a mahogany edge vs antique.

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear ya S2 and you can't go wrong either way. However, my vote would be single leather. One, just don't see it enough and two, I think the antique pop's a little much on non-commando/double leather for my taste. FWIW, go single-leather with the spec's you have above (I love Hampton on shoes) and I commit to the pre-order (so much for slowing my roll).

That was my original thought about antique and a double sole. It really sticks out. Hampton just might be my favorite last... :)

I didn't even realize Alden would do an Adelaide!

My man, pull the right strings and talk to the right people and the seas will open up :rotflmao:

Agreed. To be honest, I was kinda surprised because @savvysartorial didn't seem to be on the antique hype train last year!

I know what you mean! Antique has its time and place in the sun; I've grown to like it. My concern originally was that every makeup anywhere was antique and no one would budge otherwise!

My concern is that the darker edge will mirror my AE Cambridge and I am trying to change it up.... :p

Maybe at least 5 eyelet or preferably 6? 4 seems off. And concur with previous comment on doing a mahogany edge vs antique.

I don't think the eyelet number will change, unfortunately.... You know how Alden rolls.

Thanks for the edge color. Thoughts on sole?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phoenix this week for a business trip and the weather did not disappoint!

Wore my exploring boots on commando today for walking a good 5+ mile walk.

IMG_20200224_131931.jpg
IMG_20200224_131940.jpg
IMG_20200224_154821.jpg
IMG_20200224_161252.jpg

lcdx22

Reaction score
That was my original thought about antique and a double sole. It really sticks out. Hampton just might be my favorite last... :)

My man, pull the right strings and talk to the right people and the seas will open up :rotflmao:

I know what you mean! Antique has its time and place in the sun; I've grown to like it. My concern originally was that every makeup anywhere was antique and no one would budge otherwise!

My concern is that the darker edge will mirror my AE Cambridge and I am trying to change it up.... :p

I don't think the eyelet number will change, unfortunately.... You know how Alden rolls.

Thanks for the edge color. Thoughts on sole?

You know I didn't say anything on the sle because I'm kind of on the edge. My first instinct is to say single but I feel like maybe the double is better for a wing. The single is definitely sleeker but with an antique edge it takes that away so maybe it wants to be a double. It's too hard to decide lol

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know I didn't say anything on the sle because I'm kind of on the edge. My first instinct is to say single but I feel like maybe the double is better for a wing. The single is definitely sleeker but with an antique edge it takes that away so maybe it wants to be a double. It's too hard to decide lol

I think as @Shawnc said, the antique double is really in your face. It's always a decision around these parts :slapfight:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lcdx22

Reaction score
I think as @Shawnc said, the antique double is really in your face. It's always a decision around these parts :slapfight:

Yeah I agree with that. If we were talking a short wing blucher I would say double antique all day long. But for a belmoral with antique I would say single. It depends on the look you're going for, but from the style on this specific shoe including the brouging its begging to be more sleek.

I don't know my Hampton last fit, otherwise I may be interested for a pre-order on this make up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads