• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey in epidemic days
C3DC7DA1-3134-4FC9-A8F0-895112B395E5.jpeg

adrs1157

Reaction score
Hi Alden folks!

Just got my first pair. I got a black plain toe boot with commando soles from shoe mart. I am super psyched.

So I have a bit of a noob question. What do people do with there new boots? Do you condition the leather at all? Is there a good break in routine that you use?

One of my concerns is getting creases that are symmetrical. Anyone have any advice toward that end?

Thanks in advance!
Just wear them! It's not healthy to worry about creasing. Even if you set in pre-creases that are satisfactory for you, it will be short-lived. You'll still get creasing based on your foot shape, gait, volume among other factors in the long run.

You also don't need to condition when new.

lemmy127

Reaction score
One of my concerns is getting creases that are symmetrical. Anyone have any advice toward that end?

Have perfectly symmetrical feet and a perfectly symmetrical gait.

In other words, don't worry about things you can't control.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage today for wingtip Wednesday. Grant Stone in bourbon suede. They definitely fit the profile of gunboat!

IMG_20200129_084151.jpg
IMG_20200129_090304.jpg

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New to this thread and to Alden. I don’t currently own a pair, but I recently liquidated my Red Wing collection, bought a bunch of White’s, and now the cordovan bug has bit me…

As of right now, the Indy and Tanker boots seem to catch my eye the most – thoughts an opinions on these two classic styles?
Being new to the brand, I’ve learned a few things this last week:
  • Alden is among the BEST
  • Alden does not sell direct or offer MTO
  • That being said, your build choices are relatively limited to what a retailer as in stock
  • Alden retailers only seem to routinely stock Color #8 and Black shell, making other colors nearly physically (and probably financially) impossible to get
Can anyone share what they wish they knew prior to buying their Cordovan Aldens (asides from how much money could have been stashed away, being useless in a savings account)? How do they compare to Viberg? (not that I have experience with Viberg, but for nearly $1k, who wouldn't shop around).

As a first time Alden and first time Cordovan buyer, any and all responses will be appreciated that help guide my first Alden purchase.
Paul

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New to this thread and to Alden. I don’t currently own a pair, but I recently liquidated my Red Wing collection, bought a bunch of White’s, and now the cordovan bug has bit me…

As of right now, the Indy and Tanker boots seem to catch my eye the most – thoughts an opinions on these two classic styles?
  • That being said, your build choices are relatively limited to what a retailer as in stock
  • Alden retailers only seem to routinely stock Color #8 and Black shell, making other colors nearly physically (and probably financially) impossible to get
Can anyone share what they wish they knew prior to buying their Cordovan Aldens (asides from how much money could have been stashed away, being useless in a savings account)? How do they compare to Viberg? (not that I have experience with Viberg, but for nearly $1k, who wouldn't shop around).

As a first time Alden and first time Cordovan buyer, any and all responses will be appreciated that help guide my first Alden purchase.
Paul
1. It’s been said that it’s cheaper to book hotel and flight to a larger retailer to really nail down sizing as opposed to guessing, taking a poll, researching and making mistakes. Every foot is different and it’s almost impossible to give or receive advice on sizing without your foot inside whatever model it is.
2. There are no sales really. Familiarize yourself with the first page of this thread.
3. A rare shell opportunity may show up after 2 to 5 years and or having a collection of around a dozen pair or more first.
4. Give some serious thought to what styles work with what outfits and how you might wear them.
5. Be patient and be willing to wait for the style you need, enjoy the process.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Paul
You absolutely can't go wrong with an Indy or a Tanker; both are awesome boots, and both are timeless styles.

And it's not actually what I wish I knew before getting my first shell Aldens (because I was fitted for my first Alden - which was also my first shell - at an Alden shop), but getting fitted in person by someone who knows what they're doing is invaluable. I don't know where you're located, but as @sterlingindigo said above, even if you have to book a flight and a hotel to get fitted in person, do it. You'll save yourself a ton of time and money. There's a list of Alden shops near the beginning of this thread; pick the nearest one and go there. You'll be glad you did.

Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads