• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipperoo

Reaction score
Finally took some time to take pictures of the collection.

Color 8

Alpine Grain, Snuff Suede, and Reverse Tobacco Chamois

Ravello, Cigar, and Whiskey

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I am hoping to get some sizing advice on the Trubalance last.

I wear a 9.5 EEE in Allen Edmonds 65 last (Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue). The fit is fine length wise but they are pretty narrow.

I recently got a pair of Grant Stone Diesel boots in the same size and the length is a hair long but the width is doable.

Hope you guys can steer me in the right direction. I'm planning on ordering my first pair of Indy's (403) and want to nail down my sizing.

you should go a half size down in length for sure, but I would also suggest seriously considering going down a half size down in width as well. I am a EEE on the AE 65 last too, and at least one pair of my chromexcel Indies are just too wide as I’m getting too much heel slip. Chromexcel stretches quite a bit as it breaks in.
the trubalance last is EXCEPTIONALLY roomy, especially in the heel.

adrs1157

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on a black tassel loafer. Is there any good reason to go with shell over calf? I have a couple color 8 shoes and I love them, but I have a hard time understanding the value proposition of black shell over black calf.
Black shell ages better than black calf imo. The deep black shade will eventually fade and change with exposure to the elements, especially in flex points.

However, calf is easier to keep uniformly black.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strutting the stuff today. First day at the new office, in training, so I had to wear the black shell Parks. A bit overwhelmed, but you have to just lower your head and plow through!

IMG_20200121_120920.jpg
IMG_20200121_121925.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shell ages better than black calf imo. The deep black shade will eventually fade and change with exposure to the elements, especially in flex points.

@Spaghettimatt black shell blows away calf, especially in that model. Black shell in general has so much luster versus calf. It's difficult to quantify in a photo; you have to see in person. See my photo above for black shell.

Black shell is like staring into a black jelly bean. Buy once, cry once. The mark up over calf isn't that bad; don't make a decision you'll regret after!

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Spaghettimatt black shell blows away calf, especially in that model. Black shell in general has so much luster versus calf. It's difficult to quantify in a photo; you have to see in person. See my photo above for black shell.

Black shell is like staring into a black jelly bean. Buy once, cry once. The mark up over calf isn't that bad; don't make a decision you'll regret after!

Thanks both. Good input. Isn’t the black calf a little easier to wear casually due to lack luster? This is part of the reason I was thinking I’d go calf in the first place. Black shell can sometimes look like patent leather to me...

separately, is the calf 660 and shell 664 sized the same? I had heard some people go TTS on the calf but size down a half size on shell (like Van last)?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks both. Good input. Isn’t the black calf a little easier to wear casually due to lack luster? This is part of the reason I was thinking I’d go calf in the first place. Black shell can sometimes look like patent leather to me...

separately, is the calf 660 and shell 664 sized the same? I had heard some people go TTS on the calf but size down a half size on shell (like Van last)?
Generally you keep same size - the calf will feel tighter out of the box, but it will stretch more and end out about the same as the shell.

Calf is generally considered more formal than shell, and I think I agree when it comes to black. Black calf is a more pure black, while as savvy said the black shell looks more like a jelly bean (less jet black, but more depth).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads