• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a pair of barrie lasted boots in 8.5 D that were a bit too narrow for me, length was fine, a pair of 9.5 E has popped up for sale at a reasonable price, would this be too big for me? I was thinking I could put an extra insole in the shoe to fill it out.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of barrie lasted boots in 8.5 D that were a bit too narrow for me, length was fine, a pair of 9.5 E has popped up for sale at a reasonable price, would this be too big for me? I was thinking I could put an extra insole in the shoe to fill it out.
No way those will fit my-man. Fit is key and you will be looking to sell those within a year. As tempting as it may be, I'd pass.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A full size and a width? Don’t do it.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who has trouble with Barrie, I'd say, keep trying them on in different sizes. A full size difference and added width is going to be no good. Don't buy them.

I am an 8.5D on Brannock and most lasts. I'm 8D on Trubalance. I tried Barrie in 8D and 8E, 8.5D and 8.5E. None of them worked. It just wasn't to be. But, I'm glad I tried them all on before I bought shoes that didn't fit me. If you have access to a store that carries Alden within a reasonable distance, go there. Get fitted in every last you might eventually buy. Write down the results so you don't have to remember. Buy something from that store. Then, buy what know fits.

neguri

Reaction score
Good advice! The problem is that here, in Europe, is very difficult to try Alden´s different lasts, because we have not Alden´s shops. I have the same problem. I know that Leydon 9,5 D the fit is good (perhaps a very little large, but the fit is perfect), and now i have a chance to get a Leydon 9 E and i am not sure... Believe me, its very hard to be an Alden fan in Europe. Too much risk ;-)

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good advice! The problem is that here, in Europe, is very difficult to try Alden´s different lasts, because we have not Alden´s shops. I have the same problem. I know that Leydon 9,5 D the fit is good (perhaps a very little large, but the fit is perfect), and now i have a chance to get a Leydon 9 E and i am not sure... Believe me, its very hard to be an Alden fan in Europe. Too much risk ;-)
Many of us in the states have the same problem. I'm in Pittsburgh and don't have the luxury of an Alden shop to assist with getting the sizing right. While I don't have much Leydon experience, generally for me going down 1/2 size in length and up in width works fine. The scenario you quoted was much different than that.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving to all my forum friends. May your turkey be hot, your cranberries be tart and your shoes be old and shiny.

IMG_9696.jpg

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It didn't work well on my side
A recent cigar tassel loafer after few days of intensive sunshine becoming more reddish.
Seems like modern cigar is color 8 that’s been colored brown over the top. Sometimes there are panels that miss the paint. Anybody tried using brown cordovan cream over 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.