• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some very impressive Color 8 showings here over the last 24 hours. Bravo to all.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll almost certainly need a 9.5, but I'm not sure if you would be able to go down a width to EE or not. The 97 last is short and has a very narrow toe, whereas the Barrie last tends to run 1/2 size large and has a broader toe. If the reason you take EEE is due to toebox room, then you'll probably be fine with 9.5EE in Barrie, but if it's due to instep or foot volume, then you might need to stick with EEE in Barrie also.

FWIW, I never got a good fit in the 97 last, but I ended up taking 8.5E in that last for the best fit (although it was roomy in the heel/instep). 8.5D was wearable but cramped my toes. I take 8D in Barrie.
Thank you very much.
I generally do the eee for volume (but then again my 10eee 907s feel almost a little too wide compared to my 10eee 65 lasts from AE).
I don’t quite Brannock a 10, but I like my pinky toe to hide in the wide curve of the shoe (so I size up a little)—toe claustrophobia...

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Q: anyone with Allen Edmonds Macneils and Alden LWB/975s. Wondering about size translation...(also posting in AE thread). I wear the Macneil in 10eee; hoping for some 975s. Thanks ?

Out of curiosity do you know your brannock size as well? AE sizing can be goofy and I know a number of people who wear EEEs in a few AE lasts (especially 65) who may be an E or EE on Alden or most other brands.

lcdx22

Reaction score
Q: anyone with Allen Edmonds Macneils and Alden LWB/975s. Wondering about size translation...(also posting in AE thread). I wear the Macneil in 10eee; hoping for some 975s. Thanks ?

I wear a 13E for the 97 last and 12.5D for Barrie. I am a 13D Brannock for reference. I could probably do a 13D on MacNeil. The instep is fine, it just tapes towards the toe so may get a bit more snugness. AE lasts in general I find slimmer at least for me.

I would say do 1/2 down from your MacNeil size. But its just such a different shape it depends.

Edit: Start with LWB, half size down and you can always exchange for smaller width if necessary.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity do you know your brannock size as well? AE sizing can be goofy and I know a number of people who wear EEEs in a few AE lasts (especially 65) who may be an E or EE on Alden or most other brands.
True this ^ I'm a 9.5E Brannock, and a 9E in Barrie, but a 9EEE in AE's 65. No 97s to compare, though...

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Brannock is waaayy off for AE. I’m closer to a 9, but tried 9.5 first in AE, but didn’t like how the pinky toe rubbed. I also have somewhat full (but not fat) feet. My left is slightly wider, but my right has a higher arch/instep.
I can read between the lines—you’re saying I have to go bespoke. I’ll tell my wife :)

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 13E for the 97 last and 12.5D for Barrie. I am a 13D Brannock for reference. I could probably do a 13D on MacNeil. The instep is fine, it just tapes towards the toe so may get a bit more snugness. AE lasts in general I find slimmer at least for me.

I would say do 1/2 down from your MacNeil size. But its just such a different shape it depends.

Edit: Start with LWB, half size down and you can always exchange for smaller width if necessary.
True true. I live about 3 hrs from The Shoe Mart (and ironically 20 mins from Alden’s Factory)—I’ve thought about taking a road trip to try on everything!

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Brannock is waaayy off for AE. I’m closer to a 9, but tried 9.5 first in AE, but didn’t like how the pinky toe rubbed. I also have somewhat full (but not fat) feet. My left is slightly wider, but my right has a higher arch/instep.
I can read between the lines—you’re saying I have to go bespoke. I’ll tell my wife :)

Hah, do both your feet brannock a true EEE in width?

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah, do both your feet brannock a true EEE in width?
Haha oh absolutely not.
Truth be told: I should just sell shoes so I can be around them and ultimately go barefoot.

serbarristan

Reaction score
Is there a specific difference between a perforated cap toe boot and a jumper boot? Does the quarter stitch play a role? Thanks.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Didn't you just ask about a Jumper problem?:p
I don't think I said problem, just wondered how many were too many. At least I don't think I said problem, but I did post a while back that I sure would like a pair of the JCrew's and lo and behold, they appeared! Next step is to decide which pair(s) of other jumpers to let go..

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
I don't think I said problem, just wondered how many were too many. At least I don't think I said problem, but I did post a while back that I sure would like a pair of the JCrew's and lo and behold, they appeared! Next step is to decide which pair(s) of other jumpers to let go..

Black shell, Barrie, 9D...

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have both and I find the MacNeil to not allow as much room in the vamp as the 975 on the Barrie last. I wear 11.5EEE or even a 12EEE with thin insert for the MacNeil. The 975 works well for me at 11EEE and also an 11.5EE. But this sort of goes along with the traditional advice for Barrie to go down 1/2 size. I also, however, also wear 11EEE in the Hampton last. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics