• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

mugenlove

Reaction score
Jumpers on Barrie, those are the most plentiful in the closet....color 8, black shell, black calf, .......its a bit insane.
I’m on the rule of thumb. As long as it still brings you joy and you’re not stressing to find use for it or wear. I personally cap around 5-8 of a particular maker/design. But I also have an extensive collection and I tend to buy the same model in different leathers - because I’m an emotional dresser and collector. I also find a lot of joy just looking at the possible options I have.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m on the rule of thumb. As long as it still brings you joy and you’re not stressing to find use for it or wear. I personally cap around 5-8 of a particular maker/design. But I also have an extensive collection and I tend to buy the same model in different leathers - because I’m an emotional dresser and collector. I also find a lot of joy just looking at the possible options I have.
I totally understand, often I dress according to which pair of footwear is "speaking" to me in the morning. I thought I was the only one.

ryebreadiest

Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. I’m fairly new into quality shoes, with about 15 pairs split pretty evenly between boots and shoes, and quality brands like Alden, Viberg, grant stone, etc and I looked at my closet this morning and had to admit I’m years from needing to even think about resoles because I have so many. I find myself looking at a possible shoe/boot and feeling like if it’s too similar I have a harder time justifying it.

I also tend to think about opportunity cost: if I have color 8 cap toe boots, would I rather have color 8 plain toe boots or some new hertling wool trousers or a fine linen blazer?

Then again, of my 15ish shoes, 4 are LWBs so what do I know 😂 Buy things that bring you happiness.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tassel Tuesday ... for those that remember my post on these last year, my wife still doesn’t like them ...

View attachment 1423834
I'm sorry. While your wife is certainly entitled to her opinion, she is incorrect. Those are fantastic.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.