• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profligate47

Reaction score
NYE:
IMG_5674.jpg
IMG_5666.jpg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Busted out my finest shell Alden’s for last nights festivities.

View attachment 1307974

Looking great in your lovely new PT Boots!!

Maiden voyage of my Brick + Mortar reverse tobacco chamois Indy boots on commando. WOW! The moment I started walking around in these, they instantly went to the top of my favorite shoes list -- and for me, as for most of us, that's a pretty crowded list! Supremely comfortable. The reverse tobacco chamois looks great. The color is very hard to describe, it really is like a... tobacco leaf. Mostly dark brown, with just the slighest hint of green.

View attachment 1308007

Congratulations on your new boots. Interesting on the color narrative. I don’t have any Alden Tobacco Chamois. Yet.

Nothing special to start 2020, just a good pair of boots View attachment 1308012

Well, the classics are where they are at! Looking great today!

Bringing in the year with class!

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No new runs to my knowledge. I think you missed my joke. I have had them for 5 years now... :) Look at the year of my photo...

-Mike
Ha yeah. No. Good on you!

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy 2020 Gents! I am overdue for a "Family Photo" so here goes...

IMG_3774.jpg
This is my current line-up. I own 12 pair which is down from a high of 16 previously. From L to R:
AOC Color 2 LWB
Leffot Color 8 Perf Cap Toe Boot
AOM Whiskey Perf Cap Toe Boot
AOM Color 8 Plain Toe Boot
Natty CXL Tanker (don't remember which vendor)
Color 8 Tanker (don't remember which vendor)
Alden DC Black Wing Tip Boot
AOM Cigar Wing Tip Boot
TSM Cigar Indy Boot
Alden SF 405 Indy
Leffot Natty CXL Indy Boot
TSM Color 8 George Boot

IMG_3776.jpg
AOC Color 2 LWB (without a doubt the one true unicorn I own)
AOM Whiskey Perf Cap Toe Boot (most recent acquisition)

IMG_3777.jpg
AOM Color 8 Plain Toe Boot (first shell boots I truly treated like boots)
Natty CXL Tanker
Color 8 Tanker (gets worn weekly)

IMG_3778.jpg
AOM Cigar Wing Tip Boot
TSM Cigar Indy Boot (my first rare shell acquisition)

IMG_3779.jpg
Alden SF 405 Indy (my first ever Aldens going on 15 years old)
Leffot Natty CXL Indy Boot (played golf in Shetland in pouring rain wearing these boots)
TSM Color 8 George Boot (more people should own this boot)

IMG_3782.jpg
View from the left.

IMG_3781.jpg
View from the right.

Note that every pair, with one exception (Color 2 LWB), shows signs of regular use and wear. When I first got into the Alden game years go I treated each pair like a precious unicorn and was afraid to walk in them let alone wear them outside. It took many years for me to embrace Uncle Mac's mantra of "Shoes not Rembrandts". But I'm glad I have done so. Each pair has its dings and scrapes and varied patina, and each pair is better for it. They are doing what they were designed to do: protect my feet and look badass in the process.

I'm honestly not sure what I will acquire next. I'm thinking I could use a black shell cap toe boot. I also think a Plaza-lasted short wing blucher would be nice. And rare shell still tempts me. But I'm in a decent place with regard to my collection.

I think 2020 will be the year that I finally re-sole my well-worn Color 8 plaint toe boots. These boots turn 4 years old this month, and I estimate they already have approximately 450 wears. I also want to have new heels put on my OG 405 Indys, but I'm afraid to let anybody touch them. ANYBODY. And not a single person in this world can convince me that the current iteration of the 405 is in the same ballpark as these babies when it comes to build quality.

Lastly, and you guys will think I'm crazy, but I'm considering letting go of my Color 2 LWB. I've only worn them 3 times since I acquired them, and they are simply too nice to sit around in my closet. They are special and despite being worn only 3 times are easily my most complimented pair of Aldens. Hands down. I just don't know if I'm ready to pull the trigger and put them out there.

I hope each of you have a healthy, productive, and enjoyable 2020. And remember - they're shoes not Rembrandts!
Dave

Jkbrwn

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in a pair of nice condition Color 8 73906 Mocc Toe's in a 9.5D? Built on the Van and a Madison Ave exclusive. They're just ever so slightly too long for me. I stupidly bought them when my feet were probably slightly swollen and was wearing thick socks and they felt great, but now, they just feel a bit too big. My size 9E Barrie's are a much better fit.

These guys: https://aldenmadison.com/collection/ranger-mocc-color-8-shell-cordovan-73906/

This is probably the best recent photo I have but can of course take better photos if anyone is interested. Incredibly comfortable and far lighter than something like my 975 LWBs...

oxVduY0CoDniL9BySW5vKrIaP7zYZAB3ieWyF0X0_EZ_5ylVyVHRTrSslrT0601xHDwntnzgjfk5UwdEt4CTdzU3vEff3WizEaKS7r6Tt5ITAhLrqiTWX4aFuIqVZOy4_vvSyU0p1x0wS9xB2bofbW-NFJwqUBpUk6Wy2z5nOQNx-COlzAlnzxxqGkeZ9_B8CBXT3ZILPj8NLQNJN7NYw8Co6Am9Ma1lBqgJvUuvLSgmqocqNKm3qjzq4MVh7rVVswXDW768jQ6IbLgr-W7Z-4KxceQRyKhT0Qc7s83E0HCj0dvFS1IwRoROx0WJhC21oDIW_AxoXY32hQ8vTqJQNWykGE2-gsyqavQv6LHknj2Uf5tyaLQiYBSBnhcSd3ZpYMs_jiTlybg5BKAUtsm92m7dVMjaOUDtQYjozqILuu5UL3cMW4WqmTsaCx8x73mkwcEWAuPN_BgZ68rd2ZtMmkdiEqsDTX3entkXZUYvQx4DWsA7CioBgHfypHPWYanzwBuQknWlemJo5_vyGb4yDQXTjoadaeH1Tsl1UXovuBxBURlyeQDkP9sWaGRNSgfQWBSzn-U_JE1Ov-liAvSr8Hey1VA1uiv5_z3wYnC2XDr7pa2Oz8KYsys55Pgz__xbxi_eDV5BvHN5Mg6Blzdn5viH2cp2C8soASP5-l6w1V4ec8ZOSeNUlJnB=w604-h804-no

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1308238
This is my current line-up. I own 12 pair which is down from a high of 16 previously. From L to R:
AOC Color 2 LWB
AOM Cigar Wing Tip Boot
TSM Cigar Indy Boot
Alden SF 405 Indy
TSM Color 8 George Boot

View attachment 1308253

View attachment 1308254
Natty CXL Tanker

View attachment 1308255
AOM Cigar Wing Tip Boot

View attachment 1308256
Leffot Natty CXL Indy Boot (played golf in Shetland in pouring rain wearing these boots)

View attachment 1308257
View from the left.

View attachment 1308258
View from the right.

Note that every pair, with one exception (Color 2 LWB), shows signs of regular use and wear. When I first got into the Alden game years go I treated each pair like a precious unicorn and was afraid to walk in them let alone wear them outside. It took many years for me to embrace Uncle Mac's mantra of "Shoes not Rembrandts". But I'm glad I have done so. Each pair has its dings and scrapes and varied patina, and each pair is better for it. They are doing what they were designed to do: protect my feet and look badass in the process.

I'm honestly not sure what I will acquire next. I'm thinking I could use a black shell cap toe boot. I also think a Plaza-lasted short wing blucher would be nice. And rare shell still tempts me. But I'm in a decent place with regard to my collection.

I think 2020 will be the year that I finally re-sole my well-worn Color 8 plaint toe boots. These boots turn 4 years old this month, and I estimate they already have approximately 450 wears. I also want to have new heels put on my OG 405 Indys, but I'm afraid to let anybody touch them. ANYBODY. And not a single person in this world can convince me that the current iteration of the 405 is in the same ballpark as these babies when it comes to build quality.

Lastly, and you guys will think I'm crazy, but I'm considering letting go of my Color 2 LWB. I've only worn them 3 times since I acquired them, and they are simply too nice to sit around in my closet. They are special and despite being worn only 3 times are easily my most complimented pair of Aldens. Hands down. I just don't know if I'm ready to pull the trigger and put them out there.

I hope each of you have a healthy, productive, and enjoyable 2020. And remember - they're shoes not Rembrandts!
Dave
I’d never let those go... but if they are 8.5E or 9D let me know ? awesome collection you have there.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1308238
AOC Color 2 LWB
AOM Cigar Wing Tip Boot
TSM Cigar Indy Boot
Alden SF 405 Indy
TSM Color 8 George Boot

View attachment 1308253

View attachment 1308254
Natty CXL Tanker

View attachment 1308255
AOM Cigar Wing Tip Boot

View attachment 1308256

View attachment 1308257
View from the left.

View attachment 1308258
View from the right.

Dave
If you do decide to let those Color 2 LWBs go, I'll hope they're my size; I'd be happy to give them a new home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads