• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's more like they're stingy with unlined shell makeups, which Alden doesn't like doing due to the ease at which shell tears. Anatomica has essentially been grandfathered in similar to how BB was with their unlined LHS since they've been running the makeup for ages.
Thanks for explaining!

I also thought Alden didn't really do Modified for anyone besides a select few and Asia? Why is that?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, selling my J. Crew x Alden cap toe boot makeup. Please PM if interested. Link with photos below.

X_dSF

Reaction score
Thanks for explaining!

I also thought Alden didn't really do Modified for anyone besides a select few and Asia? Why is that?
Not answering the question, but "selected few" might including Asia. Never heard any vendors other than moulded(NY), Lakota house (Japan) and Anatomica (France and Japan) have any shell modified makeup.
If I'm wrong please tell me. Will be really happy to hear if there are others doing modified.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining!

Might have to defer to @JSO1 here. I've certainly heard that before but I'm not sure whether it's true or just a function of certain shops specializing in anatomical lasts like Modified and thus stocking multiple Modified makeups. As comfortable as Modified can be for some people it has a certain "unique" aesthetic that may not be what more generalized menswear shops are after.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not answering the question, but "selected few" might including Asia. Never heard any vendors other than moulded(NY), Lakota house (Japan) and Anatomica (France and Japan) have any shell modified makeup.
If I'm wrong please tell me. Will be really happy to hear if there are others doing modified.
Right, that's what I am after. I've seen some sweet makeups on Modified boots, for example, (even though Alden is awash in boots), that would probably do well here, but Japan gets them.

It seems like the 379x is making a resurgence in the good ol' USA, where it seemed to be Japanese only (mainly?)

Might have to defer to @JSO1 here. I've certainly heard that before but I'm not sure whether it's true or just a function of certain shops specializing in anatomical lasts like Modified and thus stocking multiple Modified makeups. As comfortable as Modified can be for some people it has a certain "unique" aesthetic that may not be what more generalized menswear shops are after.
Yes, that would make sense. If a shop is geared towards that, they would make more of it.

My impression (may be mistaken) was just that Alden limited it to grandfathered shops, which makes no sense.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really know the answer to that one. @BAK would know. I always assumed it was because Modified is an orthopedic last and only ortho-focused shops like Moulded Shoe (and a few other smaller shops peppered across the country) carry Alden's full ortho line and the factory wanted to protect those accounts. And possibly because Modified (and the other ortho lasts) require a more complex fitting process, so they don't want "dress shoe" retailers trying to deal with a proper fit in it.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
joining in the plain toe black shell party:

Anatomica unlined black shell on modified last, original black eyelets replaced with brass and double leather black sole and welt replaced with JR double leather sole and heel, Triumph taps, and dark brown welt and edges.

View attachment 1419880View attachment 1419881View attachment 1419879View attachment 1419882
Those look amazing!

and.... if you like those, you’ll like the Ealdwine makeup going on preorder today 😅

jnik

Reaction score
Ok, so I walk mostly on the outside edge of my foot. This seems to be fine got most soles, but the commando soles detach from the midsole WAY before the some itself starts to wear. Suggestions for reattaching the sole that will not sacrifice the ability to do a proper repair later?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.