• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dme2406

Reaction score
Last night had one hell of a storm here, Cleaning up tree limbs and other debris all day. 5.75 inches of rain plus wind, so......Chicken on the grill and Natty AoC straight tips on 379x last, which is quickly becoming my favorite Alden boot last :) View attachment 1400568
Then try Brogue’s military boot (if you don’t already have it): you’ll like that boot, too!

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the thrift thread
Alden Shell 990, $14
9096422C-CD3E-4D95-8D12-38D1868C40CD.jpeg

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you all for your more well seasoned opinions, being new to Alden I do appreciate it. I'll have a beer and deliberate about keeping them or not. The decision may be a function of how many beers are consumed...

ScarsdaleVibe

Reaction score
thank you all for your more well seasoned opinions, being new to Alden I do appreciate it. I'll have a beer and deliberate about keeping them or not. The decision may be a function of how many beers are consumed...

just keep em. The cap toes on my Navals are askew but I havent noticed in years.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you feel a compulsion or obligation to keep them? If you don’t like it, send it back. Only thing worse is to keep them and find yourself not wearing then because you can’t unsee the issue.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you feel a compulsion or obligation to keep them? If you don’t like it, send it back. Only thing worse is to keep them and find yourself not wearing then because you can’t unsee the issue.
no obligation other than the fact that everything else about them is great and I do like the style of the 360 welt and brass. But the stitching issue seems like a biggie since you look down and see it. Had a pair of boots from another manufacturer with cross-eye cap toes, drove me nuts. After 3/4 of a beer I'm leaning towards returning. Time to refill my glass and see if that changes...

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about and see your boots. I’m generally a positive and upbeat guy, but those are a deal-breaker for me regardless of whether or not I could get an immediate replacement.

That obviously wonky and asymmetrical appearance would drive me crazy every time I look down at them.

People on the forum have heard me rant before about how terrible I think the hand-sewn Indy tends to appear in comparison to U-tips. I also believe they should revert to machine-sewn.

Somehow the wonderful and talented hand-stitch employees seem to make a proper mess of the cordovan Indys. Off-centered, oblong, skinny, wide, fore-shortened...it’s like they can’t make up their minds how to stitch them so they stitch each boot just different enough for it to look strange. Who knows - perhaps it’s not the hand-stitch employees and has more to do with how the uppers are aligned before they are attached to the soles.

I don’t mean to deliberately disparage the skilled workers at Alden. I truly don’t. They produce beautiful footwear that I greatly enjoy. I’m a huge Alden fan, a huge Indy fan, and a huge cordovan Indy fan, but I would never be able to unsee that.

Just one man’s humble and totally biased opinion. Your opinion is the one that matters most.

I'm with IC. As an owner of many boots and Indy's, I've never seen this. Ever. Additionally I'm generally pretty forgiving on imperfections but that is beyond what I would accept. If you're good with them keep them. But don't believe this is normal. In my experience, it is not.

GGMac

Reaction score
Last night had one hell of a storm here, Cleaning up tree limbs and other debris all day. 5.75 inches of rain plus wind, so......Chicken on the grill and Natty AoC straight tips on 379x last, which is quickly becoming my favorite Alden boot last :) View attachment 1400568
Just placed an order for my first boot on the 379X last. As a narrow heeled fellow with a long but moderate arch and mild pronation issues I’m looking forward to seeing how they fit. I ordered my Barrie size so hopefully that works!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just placed an order for my first boot on the 379X last. As a narrow heeled fellow with a long but moderate arch and mild pronation issues I’m looking forward to seeing how they fit. I ordered my Barrie size so hopefully that works!
That is the size I wear as well (Barrie) and I find them quite comfortable. Which boot did you go for?

GGMac

Reaction score
Funny, I'm waiting on the PP invoice from Matt and/or Jim for those myself.
They were delivered to their shop today. Jim was kind enough to snap this pic and send it to me this afternoon. You’ll get your invoice soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads