• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1986Music

Reaction score
These look very good, I do like when Alden's shell ages and "calms down" a bit from its very glossy original state. The old Ravello loafers I've got are a much less coated shell cordovan and it still looks fantastic.

For me the key to applying VSC and getting a nice even coating is with a gloved (usually nitrile) finger, just dip in the bottle, spread around, rinse and repeat until the boot is coated evenly.
Have we had a meta-discussion about the impact of coronavirus and this presumed economic recession on the Alden market and people’s buying decisions? Sorry if I missed it if we did earlier.

I have two preorders due over the rest of the year, may get one or two more, but my buying volumes are likely going to trend down, mainly because it is harder to resell nowadays and I dialed in my size. I’m guessing a global recession will result in sales and resale volume declining further. However I recall Alden’s popularity increased right after the recession as many buyers flocked to longevity and value in brands. I wonder if we will see a similar effect this time.

The retail landscape will likely change even more. A lot of new smaller retail shops have been doing nice makeups recently - I hope they all survive, but the next year may be tough. Retailers like B+M that have a lot of dedicated buyers and do a lot of remote business may outperform. I would have thought that some of the higher end shops like Leffot could be hit hard, but the S&P is only down 12% this year, so who knows...
Who knows with all this stuff. Leffot is definitely in trouble - their Chicago store closed, and their newer makeups are much less impressive than in previous years. Haberdash closed in C-land a few years ago and now the Alden landscape in the upper Midwest has dried up lots. Probably will be tough for Alden itself, but they’ve been able to weather tons, given their age and even producing as 1st quality, some products with pretty glaring flaws (I’ve bought some!). They’ve a loyal enough following, as does Yenni. She knocks it out of the park on almost every single plaza last makeup (except the plaza wingtip boots...not real into those). B&M appreciates their loyal customers, and the feeling is mutual!

Last edited:

walklikeaduck

Reaction score
Looking into my very first Alden boot. When I got into boots I gravitated pretty strictly to Viberg and Truman because of the last. I saw Alden's Indy as a bit too chunky for my aesthetic and kind of assumed that's all Alden really did for boots beyond some dress boots I saw with leather soles. Man, I had no idea their Jumper boot could look this good...

Here's the one I'm looking at:

The only thing I'm not in love with is the commando sole - but I'll deal with it since the boot looks awesome. I plan on wearing these in a variety of conditions, but mostly for city dwelling - walking on concrete.

A few questions:
1. I'm a 9 in Viberg with thin or medium socks. Usually measure up as a 10D Brannock. Is it fair to say I'd size a 9.5D on Alden Barrie last? I feel like going down to a 9 in Barrie would be too tight in width.
2. Has anyone put reverse chamois, specifically reverse earth, through the ringer? We have some pretty gnarly winters where I live, and knowing what I know about chamois - I could make these my bad weather boots.
3. What does reverse earth chamois' real color read as? Is it more of a charcoal, black, or dark green? I've been searching online for different pics and it seems like they change based on the lighting.

Thanks for any info!

For what it’s worth, I wear a 7 in Viberg 1035 last and also a 7D in Alden Barries. I haven’t been measured on a Brannock in a while, but wear a US8 in all casual shoes/sneakers.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals. Time today for some clean up and blue CXL for the WFH day. Lighting is a little tricky so one in the sun and one in the shade.

IMG_8438 2.jpg

IMG_8436.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
these pics reminded me of how clean machine stitched indy's looked, especially the old machine stitched cordovan indy boots. I think that would be a nice special edition Alden should consider for a retailer.
I would buy machine stitched shell in a heart beat, but unfortunately the higher ups of Alden said it doesn't look good.
I know there's others that love machine stitch as much as me, and I think it looks much better than the raised hand stitch. It would reduce the load on their hand stitchers!

1986Music

Reaction score
I would buy machine stitched shell in a heart beat, but unfortunately the higher ups of Alden said it doesn't look good.
I know there's others that love machine stitch as much as me, and I think it looks much better than the raised hand stitch. It would reduce the load on their hand stitchers!
Alden does machine stitching on the leydon Shell loafer (called Vienna loafer by Brogue but other stores have it as well).

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alden does machine stitching on the leydon Shell loafer (called Vienna loafer by Brogue but other stores have it as well).
Not Indys, though, which is the complaint. They will do it on several loafers (Leydon doesn't go wide enough for my feet anyway).

Cabbage Head

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm happy to report that I'm updating my status from Lurker to Owner after scoring some new-to-me LWB in Color 8. I've had my eye out for quite some time for a pair of LWB to insert into the rotation. Admittedly, I was (am) after a pair in Whiskey. However, I stumbled upon the proverbial "offer I couldn't refuse" and completely scored. Happy camper.

These LWB will be worn almost exclusively with an ever-changing collection of selvedge denim, of which I am a hoarder. Ultimately, I'd like these to patina into the eggplant/oxblood/non-brownish spectrum. I'm not looking to sport a pristine shine. In fact, I think I'm headed to sun fadesville.

But first thing's first, I need to get these up to snuff... a proper once-over to get to square one. I've consulted the first page of this thread and am familiar with the Mac and Mike method of Alden Shell maintenance. Given that this pair has been worn (not be me) and that I have no knowledge of the care history, what steps would you take to get these happy, healthy, and ready for a possible sun bath?

My current supply list includes Saphir's Renovater, their Cordovan Creme, deer bone is incoming, and obviously the brushes and chamois cloths. I'm not clear on the best option for touching up the Antique edging while keeping it from darkening drastically, which I desperatly want to avoid.

So pretty please, I humbly ask for input. Spell it out for me.. step by step. Thanks to all of you gentlemen for helping me to get to this point... or maybe shame on you. I haven't completely decided yet.

View attachment 1373488
View attachment 1373489
View attachment 1373490 View attachment 1373491
View attachment 1373492
View attachment 1373494
View attachment 1373495 View attachment 1373496

Much improvement after some quality time with the brush, deer bone, and some neutral Alden Fine Boot Cream. However, I would still like to up the "color" in the Color 8. Would it be unwise to treat them again with a pigmented cream, either Saphir Médaille d'Or Cordovan Cream Polish or Alden Fine Boot Cream in Dark Burgundy? Use on Shell is on-label for the Saphir, the Alden Fine Boot Cream seems to be warned against everywhere except this forum. Above all, I don't want to overdo and over saturate the leather. Alden Color 8 Paste Wax is an option, but I'd like to avoid too much "shoe shine." Thoughts gentlemen?

ABC 4.png
ABC 3.png
ABC 5.png
ABC 2.png

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much improvement after some quality time with the brush, deer bone, and some neutral Alden Fine Boot Cream. However, I would still like to "up" the color in the Color 8. Would it be unwise to treat them again with a pigmented cream, either Saphir Médaille d'Or Cordovan Cream Polish or Alden Fine Boot Cream in Dark Burgundy? Use on Shell is on-label for the Saphir, the Alden Fine Boot Cream seems to be warned against everywhere except this forum. Above all, I don't want to overdo and over saturate the leather. Alden Color 8 Paste Wax is an option, but I'd like to avoid too much "shoe shine." Thoughts gentlemen?

View attachment 1379347
View attachment 1379348
View attachment 1379349
View attachment 1379351
A light application of the Saphir Cordovan Cream would probably help bring up the color a bit. I'd stay far away from any kind of wax, and the Alden Fine Boot Cream is formulated for Calf, not shell, so I'd steer clear of that, too.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed a couple posting requested make ups in the B&S. Just curious what everyone's missing grail is? I haven't made any new purchases in 6 months (probably my longest spell in 5 years). Realistically there's only a couple holes I'd like to fill left.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I noticed a couple posting requested make ups in the B&S. Just curious what everyone's missing grail is? I haven't made any new purchases in 6 months (probably my longest spell in 5 years). Realistically there's only a couple holes I'd like to fill left.
Only "grail" I have is a color 4 cap toe boot. Nothing too particular, just color 4 cap toe, and oh yea, Plaza last, and Waterloc sole, and speed hooks, and 360 storm welt, and a Horween stamp on the tongue. So nothing too strange :) Have a great evening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacquesDeza