• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

baromatic

Reaction score
This past week @jpm1 and I were bouncing around ideas for a brand new balmoral makeup since you all know I have an affinity for balmorals! :bigstar: Any input from the community would be great with regards to sole choice (single vs. double). Currently leaning heavily towards a double oak sole to match the gravitas the upper design brings to the table. It's a really unique and nice take on a wingtip.

The details are currently as follows with photos:
Color 8 upper
Hampton last, 270 welt
Double oak leather sole
Antique edge

View attachment 1343396View attachment 1343397
Count me in. Great make up
But please consider single flex, or single leather sole. The shoe would be more elegant.

Omega Man

Reaction score
I paid in full for a boot a long time ago and have had no word from them.
Stronghold. I paid for a pair of cordo NST a long time ago as well. Followed up a few times, responses are sporadic. Should I / we be worried?

Luigi80

Reaction score
Hello, I am writing because I have recently become an admirer of Alden shoes. I live in Europe (Spain) but I like Alden much more than any European brand. At the moment I have moved my collection with the last aberdeen, because I had the opportunity to test it in the Madison store.

I recently acquired 4 pairs with that last, and here comes my first doubt. I'll try later if I learn to upload photos.

My doubt is that what stands out of the sole, in one shoe is much more than in others, being all movasin of tassels. the fact that it excels a lot makes the shoe much more sporty. I don't know very well why it is or if it's normal or it's a mistake. For example, in my tassel snuf the edge of the sole, seen from above, almost does not stand out but in color Tassel 8. it stands out almost a centimeter. I don't know if I'm explaining myself well to what I mean. It is the part of the sole that comes out of the skin with the shoe on and where the sewing goes. Thank you very much for your time.

Attachments

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am writing because I have recently become an admirer of Alden shoes. I live in Europe (Spain) but I like Alden much more than any European brand. At the moment I have moved my collection with the last aberdeen, because I had the opportunity to test it in the Madison store.

I recently acquired 4 pairs with that last, and here comes my first doubt. I'll try later if I learn to upload photos.

My doubt is that what stands out of the sole, in one shoe is much more than in others, being all movasin of tassels. the fact that it excels a lot makes the shoe much more sporty. I don't know very well why it is or if it's normal or it's a mistake. For example, in my tassel snuf the edge of the sole, seen from above, almost does not stand out but in color Tassel 8. it stands out almost a centimeter. I don't know if I'm explaining myself well to what I mean. It is the part of the sole that comes out of the skin with the shoe on and where the sewing goes. Thank you very much for your time.
Welcome to the board! Are they both the same last, Aberdeen or is the snuff on Copley last (Brooks Brothers)? If they are the same then I suggest it’s just that the shell sole wasn’t trimmed as close as the suede probably.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's not a mistake, just a variation due to these shoes being worked on by humans. Sometimes the welts are just cut a bit wider depending on where exactly the stitches hit. I'd rather have a bit wider welt than broken stitches because they were cutting the welt too close.
I can't tell 100% from the pic, but that appears to be the case. If there is in fact a lot of welt without stitching, you could sand them down yourself to thin them up. If it really bothers you and you're not ok with that solution, you could try your luck with another pair. Just know that's within acceptable variation and you may end up with the same look on try number two.

DWH

Reaction score

This is a normal variation for Alden. I agree with you about the vastly different appearance of the loafer as a whole when the welt protrudes more rather than less.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.