• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the game with the collections, but there's a similar thread on GYW that happens every once in a while, so here's a few pix:

Cap Toes
L1IfcHQ.jpg

(L to R: Paul Evans Marrone, Grant Stone English Tan, Alden Snuff Cap toe, AE Natty Shell Strand, AE Olive Strandmok)

Q7pYzZB.jpg

AE tan nubuk Strandmok (arrived after all these pix)

Handsewn Toe/NST Boots
YZ0q9W7.jpg

(L to R: Grant Stone Bourbon Ottwas, GS Crimson Ottawas, Alden Mahongany shell Indys, Alden Choco Tankers, Alden natty CXL NST)

Longwings
MyyOw8X.jpg

(L to R: Grant Stone Dune, Florsheim shell 93605, Florsheim Golden Harvest, Alden x Jcrew Tobacco, Alden x Leffot Chamois)

Chukkas
x0RcaaB.jpg

Alden 1493 Snuff and 14928 Hunting Green

Kho8wJ6.jpg

AExMD Olive

Bluchers/Derbys
Grant Stone Cognac shell PTB
fn4Pnbe.jpg

Alden brown CXL Dover
wXrQCeO.jpg

More boots
Alden Ravello Wingtip boots
OyBwdAS.jpg

Alden Snuff Wingtip boots
Jl7QZsX.jpg

Alden #8 Naval Boots
ZaccutE.jpg

Grant Stone British Tan cap toes
Uur7F8D.jpg

Other members of the closet

Alden Ravello NST
RAWi8Mt.jpg

AE "Mistake McTavish" (mis-dyed Dublin - a happy accident)
nYAyqWq.jpg

Grant Stone Dune CXL loafers
k3Ipd3H.jpg

And - 'tis the Season

AE Jingle Bell Mocs
sHlfpHc.jpg

Last edited:

TimothyF

Reaction score
I tried to get to the bottom of this online, but to no avail. But what exactly is this chamois leather that Alden uses? Is it from the actual exotic animal, or a specially treated cowhide? I ask because their "kudu" leather is just a variation on chromexcel, which is cow.

If the answer is what I guess it is, does Alden make any exotic leather shoes? Other than cordovan of course, which some may or may not consider exotic.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the game with the collections, but there's a similar thread on GYW that happens every once in a while, so here's a few pix:

Cap Toes
L1IfcHQ.jpg

(L to R: Paul Evans Marrone, Grant Stone English Tan, Alden Snuff Cap toe, AE Natty Shell Strand, AE Olive Strandmok)

Q7pYzZB.jpg

Handsewn Toe/NST Boots
YZ0q9W7.jpg

(L to R: Grant Stone Bourbon Ottwas, GS Crimson Ottawas, Alden Mahongany Indys, Alden Choco Tankers, Alden natty CXL NST)

Longwings
MyyOw8X.jpg

(L to R: Grant Stone Dune, Florsheim 93605, Florsheim Golden Harvest, Alden x Jcrew Tobacco, Alden x Leffot Chamois)

Chukkas
x0RcaaB.jpg

Kho8wJ6.jpg

AExMD Olive

Bluchers/Derbys
fn4Pnbe.jpg

Alden brown CXL Dover
wXrQCeO.jpg

More boots
OyBwdAS.jpg

Jl7QZsX.jpg

Alden #8 Naval Boots
ZaccutE.jpg

Uur7F8D.jpg

Alden Ravello NST
RAWi8Mt.jpg

nYAyqWq.jpg

k3Ipd3H.jpg

And - 'tis the Season

AE Jingle Bell Mocs
sHlfpHc.jpg
Damn Dude, that is a nice collection!!!! Those color 8 Naval boots almost have me salivating..........Excellent and great photography as well.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to get to the bottom of this online, but to no avail. But what exactly is this chamois leather that Alden uses? Is it from the actual exotic animal, or a specially treated cowhide? I ask because their "kudu" leather is just a variation on chromexcel, which is cow.

If the answer is what I guess it is, does Alden make an exotic leather shoes? Other than cordovan of course, which some may or ma
Alden's chamois and "kudu" are both cow-leathers from Horween. If Alden has done anything recently that isn't cow or shell, I'm not aware of it.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cap Toes
L1IfcHQ.jpg

Q7pYzZB.jpg

Handsewn Toe/NST Boots
YZ0q9W7.jpg

(L to R: Grant Stone Bourbon Ottwas, GS Crimson Ottawas, Alden Mahongany Indys, Alden Choco Tankers, Alden natty CXL NST)

Longwings
MyyOw8X.jpg

(L to R: Grant Stone Dune, Florsheim 93605, Florsheim Golden Harvest, Alden x Jcrew Tobacco, Alden x Leffot Chamois)

Chukkas
x0RcaaB.jpg

Kho8wJ6.jpg

AExMD Olive

Bluchers/Derbys
fn4Pnbe.jpg

Alden brown CXL Dover
wXrQCeO.jpg

More boots
OyBwdAS.jpg

Jl7QZsX.jpg

Alden #8 Naval Boots
ZaccutE.jpg

Uur7F8D.jpg

Alden Ravello NST
RAWi8Mt.jpg

nYAyqWq.jpg

k3Ipd3H.jpg

And - 'tis the Season

AE Jingle Bell Mocs
sHlfpHc.jpg
Stunning photos! So many great shoes here!
To name just one, mmmmm that Ravello WTBoot. Holy cow!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out and about tonight with some nice blue suede tankers

IMG_20191213_185205427.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alden's chamois and "kudu" are both cow-leathers from Horween. If Alden has done anything recently that isn't cow or shell, I'm not aware of it.
So their Kudu isn't really Kudu, just some cow hide labeled Kudu? I know the AE Kudu Caen boots I have are actual Kudu Antelope leather, hoping the GS upcoming boots are "real" Kudu as well, not a Horween cowhide labeled Kudu. In the final analysis, I guess it doesn't matter if one likes the look of a boot/shoe.

TimothyF

Reaction score
So their Kudu isn't really Kudu, just some cow hide labeled Kudu? I know the AE Kudu Caen boots I have are actual Kudu Antelope leather, hoping the GS upcoming boots are "real" Kudu as well, not a Horween cowhide labeled Kudu. In the final analysis, I guess it doesn't matter if one likes the look of a boot/shoe.

I have a weird rule that a fairly-priced pair of calf/cow skin shoes should cost 1/2 the price of shell cordovan shoes, assuming same maker, same quality, same style of course. So that would make the Alden non-shell shoes overpriced by my logic. If it's a rarer leather, then the equation changes.

I would sometimes get the urge to get every leather color combo from a maker, and then I'd remind myself I don't have to buy these shoes, and how many pairs of shoes do I need really?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a weird rule that a fairly-priced pair of calf/cow skin shoes should cost 1/2 the price of shell cordovan shoes, assuming same maker, same quality, same style of course. So that would make the Alden non-shell shoes overpriced by my logic. If it's a rarer leather, then the equation changes.

I would sometimes get the urge to get every leather color combo from a maker, and then I'd remind myself I don't have to buy these shoes, and how many pairs of shoes do I need really?
I'm afraid I have left the "need" portion of the equation a long time ago, it's now a hobby or collection or whatever. I really only NEED about 3 or 4 pair, but have quite a few more :)

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE's Kudu is real (I wanna say CF Stead) and Grant Stone's is the real deal also (pretty sure also from Stead).

The Alden article is nice leather, but a variation of Horween's CXL tannage

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AE's Kudu is real (I wanna say CF Stead) and Grant Stone's is the real deal also (pretty sure also from Stead).

The Alden article is nice leather, but a variation of Horween's CXL tannage
I guess I don't have a real problem with them calling it Kudu, but at Alden prices, one should get the real deal if ordering "Kudu". As an aside, I'm looking forward to the GS Kudu boots, and the Kudu on my AE's is almost like butter it's so soft.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads