• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have previously confessed to jumping on a new pair of shoes and wear them immediately. As we say in the South, I would jump on them "Like a duck on a June bug." I told myself this time would be different. I now had whiskey LWBs that took years to find. I would "put them in the vault." I would be one of those guy we occasionally see who say, "Oh yeah, I have a pair of those somewhere in the closet. I haven't worn them yet but I will eventually pull them out and wear them." I admire those guys. Self control I never had. I would not jump on these grail shoes that arrived on Tuesday. People would admire me. So here they are. I am glad I made it this long. Mission accomplished.

View attachment 1293950

View attachment 1293951

I wouldn't be able to resist those either. Spectacular shoes! I love Color #8, but the other colors are so interesting and rich and so hard to find!

What is the most rare color? #4?

darkclassic

Reaction score
That is funny to read, I am the exact opposite. I like the look of new shoes so much that I will buy a pair and sit on them for way too long waiting for "just the right" occasion to finally get them out. As soon as I have had them out once I am good to go, but that initial wear that makes them "not new anymore" is tough for me.

As of this morning I had 5 pairs of boots in my closet that have never been worn and one that has been worn once. Two are for sale, but the other three are/were just waiting for their initial wear someday. One pair I have had for a full year!

All that to say...

New boot day for me today! Bought these AoC Indys about 6 months ago and they are finally getting their initial wear today. I bought them to be a "go to" casual boot but they looked so good when I got them that I had a hard time wearing them. Now that they have been out of the closet, looking forward to getting them settled in.

View attachment 1294089

View attachment 1294090

I have the same 'issue' you do - 7 pair in the vault.
Those Indy boots are exceptional, congrats.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to resist those either. Spectacular shoes! I love Color #8, but the other colors are so interesting and rich and so hard to find!

Mahongany is pretty rare. I'd say #2 is more rare than 4

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Happy hump day, gentlemen. Ravello chukkas today.

View attachment 1292706
View attachment 1292711
Natty CXL Tankers. They are a bit darker/richer IRL.
Happy wingtip Wednesday forum pals. It is raining in LA and it seemed a good time to go with scotch grain on commando to fight off the dampness. They look great with jeans.

View attachment 1292743
Color 8 Cap Toe Medallions from Alden Madison for today.

View attachment 1292789
Yesterday: AoC-37 saddle
View attachment 1293262

Today Epaulet snuff WTB
View attachment 1293261
First pictures of my whiskey LWBs that have yet to be worn.

View attachment 1293301

It will be interesting to see how they change color with time. The 2 year old MacNeils on the right are actually natty shell and should be lighter than whiskey, but that is clearly no longer the case. Ah, patina.

View attachment 1293302
Started my Alden collection in August of 2018, took me this long to do it but I am happy to announce I am officially part of the rare shell club! I was really hoping for something in whiskey and finally had something come up on ebay in my size for a decent price. New to me whiskey shell LWBs. They need some work to smooth out the rolls a bit and maybe a cleaning and conditioning, but they aren't too bad as is.

View attachment 1293385

View attachment 1293388

When I first pulled them out of the box I thought the seller might have goofed and called Ravello shoes Whiskey. But once I saw them in the sunlight I knew they had to be Whiskey. Crazy how much they change based on lighting conditions.

View attachment 1293390
vMeK8l7.jpg
It wouldn't be a day at home, with the dogs, without changing footwear at least 2 or 3 times. AoC Natty boots for the late afternoon evening. I wish I could figure out how to keep Natty boots this color, but I know they will darken with age/wear/time. I just love the "out of the box" Natty color. View attachment 1293508 View attachment 1293509
Made it to Boot Day. Broke out the Mr. G specials
View attachment 1293869
Not quite sure what you mean by standard eyelets. I bought these @ TSM about 6 or 7 years ago. They are definitely all eyelets as part of the original makeup, not an after-market change by a cobbler. Hope this info helps.

Have a great Friday. View attachment 1293888
My gosh those are fantastic! Either you or an assistant are an amazing photographer! Those pictures look like they belong in a professional publication. I’m guessing Alden doesn’t have a picture that looks that good.

Awesome pants too (the 2.5 inch cuff is always cool).

My picture and my shoes are going to pale in comparison especially because I’m taking it in my office with my phone.

But, I do really love these new Alden NST in a pebble grain that I rarely see. View attachment 1293898 View attachment 1293899
Man, some gorgeous cigar posted today.
Natty CXL on grant
View attachment 1293900
Catching up...
From yesterday: TSM Cigar Indys

View attachment 1294055
A little something different from B+M today.

View attachment 1294074
Nothin too fancy. Jet Black LHSes for Dr.'s office visit. Finally able to get my foot into a shoe after a bad turf toe from Turkey Bowl w/ the much younger nephews. Wish this office vist was about a stubbed toe but not so lucky. View attachment 1294087
That is funny to read, I am the exact opposite. I like the look of new shoes so much that I will buy a pair and sit on them for way too long waiting for "just the right" occasion to finally get them out. As soon as I have had them out once I am good to go, but that initial wear that makes them "not new anymore" is tough for me.

As of this morning I had 5 pairs of boots in my closet that have never been worn and one that has been worn once. Two are for sale, but the other three are/were just waiting for their initial wear someday. One pair I have had for a full year!

All that to say...

New boot day for me today! Bought these AoC Indys about 6 months ago and they are finally getting their initial wear today. I bought them to be a "go to" casual boot but they looked so good when I got them that I had a hard time wearing them. Now that they have been out of the closet, looking forward to getting them settled in.

View attachment 1294089

View attachment 1294090

Those are all just fantastic here these past two days guys! A beautiful showing all across the board. Nishant, I really like Steve’s Cigar LWBs on the Commando. Pretty cool. Congratulations to those who recently scored those lovely new Whiskey LWBs! Have a great Friday gents!!!

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Color #2 has only been run twice to my knowledge. Back in 2014.

Color #4 had a number of runs, approximately 20, back around the 2012 time frame and hasn’t appeared since.

Mahogany was around back in the formative days of Alden using exotics appearing on both the AF-1 and AF-2 made by AoC back in the late 90’s and early 00’s. There was a temporary re-appearance of it last year with AoC and B+M making small batches of it. So it’s pretty stinking rare as well.

Hope that this helps!!!

-Mike

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Color #4 had a number of runs, approximately 20, back around the 2012 time frame and hasn’t appeared since.

Mahogany was around back in the formative days of Alden using exotics appearing on both the AF-1 and AF-2 made by AoC back in the late 90’s and early 00’s. There was a temporary re-appearance of it last year with AoC and B+M making small batches of it. So it’s pretty stinking rare as well.

Hope that this helps!!!

-Mike

Seriously I am in awe of your knowledge of this. I don’t know this much detail about my kids.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, AuDog, an amazing family photo of your Indy Boots. Really cool to see all of the variations offered by the various materials. Fantastic and looking forward to seeing more!!!

-Mike
Would have had a few more pair, but sold them off due to fit and, just not wearing often enough, but it's a good start :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hope that this helps!!!

-Mike
Anyone have a photo of something in color #2??? I've seen photos of 4, own 8's but never even heard of color 2.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, amaretto and mocha are about as rare as color 2. I know of only two runs of each, though there may have been more made for overseas markets. But, Color 8 is called king for a good reason in my book!

GGMac

Reaction score
If anyone does.......it's him :)
Maybe he will post a photo. I don't think I will ever get a pair of something in color 4, and 2 seems like hunting for the Holy Grail, and I don't have Professor Jone's notebook.....
Check out his IG account or his Alden of San
Diego site. He’s got pics of both the color 2 LWB’s and the LHS.

serbarristan

Reaction score

Hope that this helps!!!

-Mike
Very interesting. Do you know if certain shades are exclusive to Alden? I’ve seen whiskey from C&J and cigar from I believe Viberg, but haven’t seen ravello elsewhere. I just received unlined Amaretto loafers from a Carmina GMTO but sadly have to send them back due to quality issues.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I remember reading that #2 is the same stuff that Carmina calls Rubi/Ruby. It's pretty regularly available from them.
(You'd think #2 would be a shade of brown though.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads