• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
Started my Alden collection in August of 2018, took me this long to do it but I am happy to announce I am officially part of the rare shell club! I was really hoping for something in whiskey and finally had something come up on ebay in my size for a decent price. New to me whiskey shell LWBs. They need some work to smooth out the rolls a bit and maybe a cleaning and conditioning, but they aren't too bad as is.

When I first pulled them out of the box I thought the seller might have goofed and called Ravello shoes Whiskey. But once I saw them in the sunlight I knew they had to be Whiskey. Crazy how much they change based on lighting conditions.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stellar collection James!!!
Thanks, and it's a little smaller than it was a few months ago. Notice no suede Indy boots, as they were sold off due to size, that is next year's project :)
Oh, you guys here can call me Jim, that's what my FRIENDS call me and Lord knows you guys are friends!!!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A while back someone was asking about which stocklists ran Barrie U Tip makeups. Looks like L&F has a new Color 8 U Tip in stock (including E widths):

Great makeup but I need another handsewn Color 8 boot like I need a hole in my head at this point
Lol... I think I like the 270 flat welt on these better than my 360 storm welt Tankers.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look a lot more "structured" than the MD AE Chukkas. I haven't been a chukka guy, mainly because of the unstructured nature of the one's I've had, but those look so nice.........
They are a little, but not much. My olive MD chukkas a bit narrow on me (which is why I grabbed this pair of Aldens) - narrower than the first two pair I had... :(

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol... I think I like the 270 flat welt on these better than my 360 storm welt Tankers.

Hard to tell from the pictures but I think these are actually a 270 storm welt. Most Color 8 tanker makeups are 360 split reverse. I don't believe Alden will do a 360 storm welt (or a 270 split reverse for that matter).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are a little, but not much. My olive MD chukkas a bit narrow on me (which is why I grabbed this pair of Aldens) - narrower than the first two pair I had... :(
I quit wearing my MD AE chukkas, as they were just to "unstructured" and my feet/ankles need more "beef" from footwear, which is why I wear boots 99% of the time. Need the ankle support due to a missing (blew it out) ligament.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a day at home, with the dogs, without changing footwear at least 2 or 3 times. AoC Natty boots for the late afternoon evening. I wish I could figure out how to keep Natty boots this color, but I know they will darken with age/wear/time. I just love the "out of the box" Natty color.
IMG_0045.jpeg
IMG_0046.jpeg

michaeliany

Reaction score
I spent this Thanksgiving up in Seattle and Portland. Finally got to visit Brick + Mortar.
7CCEDCD4-4C53-4F17-9625-010A1C5A44CF.jpeg

Great service, that shop.
Got my first Alden: Indy in Trubalance and Neocork since they were out of Commando. That’s cool bc I can switch once it’s time to change out the outsoles. I actually planned on just getting fitted on the various lasts and had it in mind that my first Aldens would be the NST Tanker on Commando but once i saw these Indys and tried them on, true love.
I had them shipped back to Orange County since I didn’t think they’d fit in the luggage.
My wallet is in serious fn trouble.
1466DC69-5155-4931-9773-82D9CEEEE463.jpeg 94BCDBB2-F638-4D02-A98B-6432A1FF4BB9.jpeg

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent this Thanksgiving up in Seattle and Portland. Finally got to visit Brick + Mortar. View attachment 1293524
Great service, that shop.
Got my first Alden: Indy in Trubalance and Neocork since they were out of Commando. That’s cool bc I can switch once it’s time to change out the outsoles. I actually planned on just getting fitted on the various lasts and had it in mind that my first Aldens would be the NST Tanker on Commando but once i saw these Indys and tried them on, true love.
I had them shipped back to Orange County since I didn’t think they’d fit in the luggage.
My wallet is in serious fn trouble.
View attachment 1293526 View attachment 1293525
Welcome to the club! Outstanding first choice. You will cherish those boots for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads