• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedromvu

Reaction score
Indy boots were my introduction to the Alden "rabbit hole", 30 or so pair of Alden's later.........I'm still falling down the hole.....

I wonder what is it exactly, I just started getting quality boots about a year ago following goodyearwelt reddit, and at first I was trying to get the best bang for the buck, went with both Truman as an alternate to Viberg and Grant Stone as an alternate to Alden, but once I got one pair of Viberg (2030 color 8 CXL Boot) and one of Alden (Suede Indy Boot) I feel there is just something missing on the cheaper models.

And I don't think it's just a difference in construction quality, that might even be on par, but something about the last shape and the initial comfort somehow makes me want to go back for more (it doesn't help that there is a never ending supply of different variations).

BTW, recently sent you a request on Instagram since aerosurferlv mentioned you on his channel.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long awaited whiskey Friday
721F1AC2-E662-488B-9C26-FD3BA9634A98.jpeg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@M635Guy and I both take a 11.5D Barrie. IIRC he settled on 11.5E with the chukkas and I took a 12E.
I actually wound up with both 11.5E AND 12E (Hunter and Snuff). The 12 feels more like he describes, but they feel more like he describes. I think the difference is I was ready for "the chukka effect" and they wear great. The 11.5E still fits me better, but I've never worn them with thick socks.
Thanks! So you're saying you wear 11.5D in Barrie and ended up with 12E in Leydon and it has a similar sensation that I'm experiencing? Do you simply get used to it over time? It's not clear to me if it's expected or not.
The slipper thing for chukkas is so different, but if you don't have heel slip and your foot is planted you're fine IMHO. I think the placement and style of lacing gives a little more sizing flexibility, though I prefer the shorter length. I'm a pretty reliable 12D in stuff that is described as TTS, and 11.5E was what the folks at Alden of SF recommended after measuring me.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder what is it exactly, I just started getting quality boots about a year ago following goodyearwelt reddit, and at first I was trying to get the best bang for the buck, went with both Truman as an alternate to Viberg and Grant Stone as an alternate to Alden, but once I got one pair of Viberg (2030 color 8 CXL Boot) and one of Alden (Suede Indy Boot) I feel there is just something missing on the cheaper models.

And I don't think it's just a difference in construction quality, that might even be on par, but something about the last shape and the initial comfort somehow makes me want to go back for more (it doesn't help that there is a never ending supply of different variations).

BTW, recently sent you a request on Instagram since aerosurferlv mentioned you on his channel.
got the Instagram request, thanks for looking at my shoes.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

His Youtube channel?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is fascinating. I also have the issue where my right pinkie toe pinches on most shoes. I wonder if my shoes are also too big. I like having some wiggle room with my toes though so I wonder if that is my issue.
I have this problem also, but I think it was mainly a translation of my sizing to the various lasts e.g. a 12D in AE's 5 last is too long and too narrow - 11.5E works there. With Leydon, it's mainly an issue of the last being narrow and tapered - my pinky toes stick out, and going to an E solves that in either 11.5 or 12. Barrie/Truebalance/Grant Stone's Leo last are all very relaibly the 1/2-down-from-Brannock recommendation of 11.5D. AE's 7-last, Grant Stone's Alexander last and my Florsheim Imperials are solid at 12D (as was everything J&M before they wen't to crap 10-15 years ago). My pinky toes seem to be the arbiters of that translation, and when I force it (which I never do any more), they hurt.

Net: I literally feel your pain ;) and fit is king. If it feels good, doesn't slip at the heel or forefoot, etc, it fits.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It took trial and error to get my sizing for Alden right, and I spent a lot of money on boots that were too large, been selling them off, but will never recoup all the funds. Learning curve. Fortunately, like you I properly sized loafers and shoes to begin with.
I know you use orthopedic inserts, which complicate things a bit, but if the last works overall, a thin insert has bridged me to a half-size up quite gracefully. My Mahogany Indys and my Ravello NSTs are both too big without the inserts but fantastic with them.

darkclassic

Reaction score
^^^ I've tried Indy boots a half size down and they work well. However, I much prefer to use an insole with them in my normal size. Adds comfort and takes up just the right amount of that extra forefoot volume for me. Might be worth trying for those of us between sizes on certain shoes/boots.

Today's kicks:
fade 112219.jpg

Perfectcircles

Reaction score
Received a preorder notification from TSM for a cigar PTB. Passed on it cos I don't have an affinity for plain toes.

Kwaker

Reaction score
^^^ I've tried Indy boots a half size down and they work well. However, I much prefer to use an insole with them in my normal size. Adds comfort and takes up just the right amount of that extra forefoot volume for me. Might be worth trying for those of us between sizes on certain shoes/boots.

Today's kicks:
View attachment 1284900
Nice kicks, but you need a new tailor ... tapering looks off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads