• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chantheman

Reaction score
Apparently a lot has changed here in 3 years since i last logged in and i cant find the for sale post i just created. if anyone is looking for a pair of ShoeMart Ravello Wingtip boots i have a pair that I will never get around to wearing. I tried posting them in the classified section but i don't see the listing anywhere.
IMG_0714.jpg

Last edited:

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently a lot has changed here in 3 years since i last logged in and i cant find the for sale post i just created. if anyone is looking for a pair of ShoeMart Ravello Wingtip boots i have a pair that I will never get around to wearing. I tried posting them in the classified section but i don't see the listing anywhere. View attachment 1284426

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/the-alden-buy-sell-trade-b-s-t-thread.645611/page-42 is a link to the current BST thread. What size are they out of curiosity?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m sorry if I didn’t make it clear early. These shell shoes are brand new from Alden retailer. So floor mat would not explain the mark, right?
Could they be marks from burnishing at the factory? Have a pair of boots that came with marks like that, but it's calf boot, and on the heel, so I didn't really care that much. I had made my own "marks" within a couple weeks anyway.

TimothyF

Reaction score
Could they be marks from burnishing at the factory? Have a pair of boots that came with marks like that, but it's calf boot, and on the heel, so I didn't really care that much. I had made my own "marks" within a couple weeks anyway.

I think you’re on the money here. My understanding is that burnishing the edges involves a hot metal tool. And if that tool goes off by a fraction of an inch...

But I’ve since contacted the retailer about this, and they told me not to worry about this, and they’ve seen it before. I also asked them to forward my concerns to the Alden factory, so we’ll see what the official pronouncement is.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you’re on the money here. My understanding is that burnishing the edges involves a hot metal tool. And if that tool goes off by a fraction of an inch...

But I’ve since contacted the retailer about this, and they told me not to worry about this, and they’ve seen it before. I also asked them to forward my concerns to the Alden factory, so we’ll see what the official pronouncement is.
I’ve received new pairs in the same condition. Just a dab of cordovan cream and you’re right as rain.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By no means a grail. Underrated and under appreciated, the simplicity of the 9901 has always appealed to me. Dressed up for a lecture or dressed down for casual outings, they never fail to keep me comfortable and looking respectable. Today it was “The Futility of Reconstruction and Failure of 1870s Civil Equality.”
7C892E27-7CB7-4534-A009-DD3203B4F0FF.jpeg
BE14CE05-8038-4B5C-AD61-0BCCA90D5AF2.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1284760
New boots! I will try to snap some better pictures tomorrow. My first Indy boots and it seems like they are going to fit very well. I’m quite pleased initially.
Indy boots were my introduction to the Alden "rabbit hole", 30 or so pair of Alden's later.........I'm still falling down the hole.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads