• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
Wingtip Wednesday.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love them! I hope mine will be with me soon, from the EU so it'll take a couple of more days to get them.
Lovely pair of shoes. I was heavily in doubt with a pair of C&J Westminsters in cordovan.

Thanks! They're fantastic and such a classy shoe; you will love them.

Not to spoil your hopes, but I've had these for months and am just now getting around to posting them; they weren't from a recent run. Not sure if you just ordered them from a shop in stock or you are waiting for a new run to be delivered... Either way, you'll enjoy the shoes immensely.

stijn

Reaction score
Thanks! They're fantastic and such a classy shoe; you will love them.

Not to spoil your hopes, but I've had these for months and am just now getting around to posting them; they weren't from a recent run. Not sure if you just ordered them from a shop in stock or you are waiting for a new run to be delivered... Either way, you'll enjoy the shoes immensely.

I was able to grab the last pair in my size at AoM!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my suede boots back from Aram and am very impressed. He was a pleasure to work with on changing from crepe to antiqued leather. Thanks to @Shawnc for mentioning him a number of pages back.

Rock hard crepe before

Boots.jpg

Beautiful antique after

DSC00184.JPG
DSC00185.JPG
DSC00186.JPG

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

TimothyF

Reaction score
To the shell cordovan experts here, what do you make of the whitish streak right above the heel welt of the boots I just took delivery of? I primarily want to know if it's cosmetic or a structural damage. For example I know the welting process involves using a heated metal tool around the edges, so worst case scenario is the hot iron accidentally burnt the leather there.
IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

Basically, if it's cosmetic I'll just polish it over and not care. If structural, I'll contact the seller.

Last edited:

nsdkfjsdfc4r3

Reaction score
Hi friends. I just picked up some unlined chukkas in the Leydon last in a size 11.5E. The other Alden's I have are in a Barrie last in size 11.5D, which fit great. The unlined chukkas are so supple and soft that it's throwing me off in terms of fit. They seem to fit me nicely meaning no obvious heel slip and my little is right on the leather, but when I walk they feel like slippers. My big toe has about an inch of space before the welt but I hear this is expected since this last has a narrow and long toebox. I can't tell if this is just because the unlined leather has such little structure and I'm not used to how soft and flexible they are. Do other folks have thoughts on how the Leydon last is supposed to fit? Thanks.

chiggyv

Reaction score
Hi friends. I just picked up some unlined chukkas in the Leydon last in a size 11.5E. The other Alden's I have are in a Barrie last in size 11.5D, which fit great. The unlined chukkas are so supple and soft that it's throwing me off in terms of fit. They seem to fit me nicely meaning no obvious heel slip and my little is right on the leather, but when I walk they feel like slippers. My big toe has about an inch of space before the welt but I hear this is expected since this last has a narrow and long toebox. I can't tell if this is just because the unlined leather has such little structure and I'm not used to how soft and flexible they are. Do other folks have thoughts on how the Leydon last is supposed to fit? Thanks.

@M635Guy and I both take a 11.5D Barrie. IIRC he settled on 11.5E with the chukkas and I took a 12E.

If you have the opportunity to try them back to back I would do so. What your describing is exactly what I experience but there is no right answer here!

nsdkfjsdfc4r3

Reaction score
@M635Guy and I both take a 11.5D Barrie. IIRC he settled on 11.5E with the chukkas and I took a 12E.

If you have the opportunity to try them back to back I would do so. What your describing is exactly what I experience but there is no right answer here!
Thanks! So you're saying you wear 11.5D in Barrie and ended up with 12E in Leydon and it has a similar sensation that I'm experiencing? Do you simply get used to it over time? It's not clear to me if it's expected or not.

chiggyv

Reaction score
Thanks! So you're saying you wear 11.5D in Barrie and ended up with 12E in Leydon and it has a similar sensation that I'm experiencing? Do you simply get used to it over time? It's not clear to me if it's expected or not.

I tried 11.5E and 12E back to back and it was a toss. With the 11.5 I felt I had just slightly less room for thicker socks so I went with the 12.

The sensation you describe was present with both sizes for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics