• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look incredible. Who did the work?

I find them a lot more “wearable” now. All-black shoes just don’t find their way into my feet much.

Nick Over @pekinshoerepair. No longer accepting mail-order work, unfortunately ?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been rolling in guilt over my inclusion of other brands in my favorite 5 submission. I will admit that I technically did as requested, but I know I violated the spirit of the request. Consider me completely punished. :deadhorse:Plus, I do not wish to work and this is a great way to pretend I am accomplishing something.

With that in mind, here are my Alden favorite 5. In no particular order and with apologies for the two repeats.

Ravello boots.

Black shell LWBs.

AOC 105

Blue suede from B+M.

Whiskey saddle NSTs.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been rolling in guilt over my inclusion of other brands in my favorite 5 submission. I will admit that I technically did as requested, but I know I violated the spirit of the request. Consider me completely punished. :deadhorse:Plus, I do not wish to work and this is a great way to pretend I am accomplishing something.

With that in mind, here are my Alden favorite 5. In no particular order and with apologies for the two repeats.

Ravello boots.

View attachment 1283298

Black shell LWBs.

View attachment 1283299

AOC 48

View attachment 1283300

Blue suede from B+M.

View attachment 1283301

Whiskey saddle NSTs.

View attachment 1283302

Every one a winner!!!!!

stijn

Reaction score
As promised, another addition to my collection! More to come in the coming days.

Picked this gorgeous pair up off the 'bay for not too much coin since they were mislabeled as calf... Just dumb luck when I came across them.

Gave them a solid brushing yesterday and a nice coat of VSC (let dry overnight) with some heavy spooning to even out the creases and some nicks here and there. Still need to dress the edges before they go into production. My first Tremont lasted shoe, but I think I've gotten the size down... It's a funky last methinks.

It's interesting that these are a 270 welt but the heel block is more prominent (and wheeled) compared to a traditional 270. This despite the base model, 974 being a 360 welt.

Whiskey shell balmoral :worship2:from what looks like a 2014 run. They've darkened a bit (or this was a darker whiskey run) since new but still hold up well from their original shade.

View attachment 1283235 View attachment 1283236 View attachment 1283237 View attachment 1283238
beautiful pick up!
just ordered a pair of 9854's, looking forward to gettin them

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
beautiful pick up!
just ordered a pair of 9854's, looking forward to gettin them

Thank you. Really like them and they're in excellent shape. The 9854 is a sublime pattern and one not seen around here.

stijn

Reaction score
I need some advice on sizing for some cordovan loafers as I don't have a retailer nearby (Europe), I have a slight preference for the 684 but I also like the 986's.

What would you recommend for the Aberdeen & Copley lasts? Thanks! I usually wear loafers without any socks during summer.

References:
- Carmina Oscar 9.5UK
- Gaziano & Girling GG06: 9.5UK
- Alden Hampton: 10D US
- Church 73: 9.5UK F
- Trickers: 9.5UK
- Lof & Tung S last (Kingsleys): 9UK

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on sizing for some cordovan loafers as I don't have a retailer nearby (Europe), I have a slight preference for the 684 but I also like the 986's.

What would you recommend for the Aberdeen & Copley lasts? Thanks! I usually wear loafers without any socks during summer.

References:
- Carmina Oscar 9.5UK
- Gaziano & Girling GG06: 9.5UK
- Alden Hampton: 10D US
- Church 73: 9.5UK F
- Trickers: 9.5UK
- Lof & Tung S last (Kingsleys): 9UK

Hampton/Aberdeen/Plaza all take the same size. I would stick with 10D on the 684. I don't wear mine sockless, but I do wear thin dress socks and they fit great. The sockless issue may change your fit a bit, though....

If you're like 99% of the guys around, your 986 size will be 9.5D. Van last is usually a 1/2 size down from regular sizing like H/A/P lasts.

stijn

Reaction score
Hampton/Aberdeen/Plaza all take the same size. I would stick with 10D on the 684. I don't wear mine sockless, but I do wear thin dress socks and they fit great. The sockless issue may change your fit a bit, though....

If you're like 99% of the guys around, your 986 size will be 9.5D. Van last is usually a 1/2 size down from regular sizing like H/A/P lasts.
Thanks! That's clear!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@stijn If for Tricker's you're talking 4497/W2298 (actually anything but 4444) then for 9.5UK I take 10D for 986 and that's actually a bit snug in the instep and I have low instep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads